Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Rods

Rods Get the goss on what’s hot, and what’s not...

Old 04-02-2015, 03:01 AM
Blue Lip

Fly guys - I need some opinions

Hey all,
I'm going to buy a new 10wt stick, it will spend most of its time chasing cod, however it will get a run up north chasing barra and jacks - Im looking at a stick around the 7'10 mark now I'm sure it'll eat up this kind of work. My dilemma is there is a good chance while I'm up north I'll want to punch a fly at some pelagics and also likely some moreton bay long tails - will I be able to get the casting distance with a rod this short?? My casting is certainly not excellent, as I'm sure a good caster would have no issues! I can cast fine up to about 40ft with my current 9' 8wt so again I beg the question, will I still be able to punch hopefully a 50ft cast with a 7'10 rod?

Thanks in advance for any insight!
Old 04-02-2015, 04:37 AM
Mature Bream

A rod that length will easily throw a 50ft cast as long as the bloke hanging onto it can. I wouldn't consider myself a great caster but I can throw a full line on my lmb (711 10wt) but 90% of the time its used for casting 20-50ft which is where I believe a rod of this length is best suited. For short rods I like a line with a short aggressive head like a rio outbound short. The short head helps load the rod in close for short accurate casts but also helps for casting long as it requires you to hold less line in the air before making a cast.
I really like short rods for when I'm making short casts from my kayak or float tube.

If you're casting for barra and jacks from a boat while up north your 8wt will be ample.

For moreton bay tuna you want to be able to throw 50-80ft quickly normally in a bit of wind. I prefer a 9ft rod for this task. A 9ft 10wt is a very versatile rod and is one I wouldn't be without.

Last edited by tug speedman; 04-02-2015 at 04:49 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:15 AM
Poddy Bream

Shorter fly rods should be able to throw 50-60 feet without any problem. While casting will not be as easy as a longer rod, fighting fish is where shorter rods shine. Always a compromise.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:31 AM
Big Bream

By far one of the best shorter 10wt rods made are the Scott Rods. The Heliply and then the S3S 10wt 8'8" has the action and the power for all such species. (It'll be overkill for jacks though. You'll be able to pole them in! LOL).

Then, for some reason, they ceased the 8'8" when it came to the S4S and built the 8'0" rods. They are very sweet rods for what you want to be able to achieve, however, in my opinion, nowhere near as great as the 8'8" rods.

An 8'0" rod would be more a pick for cod and then hitting up to pelagics. You do want to be able to turn the fly over very quickly and shoot at least comfortably up to 60ft consistently.

In relation to a rod under 8'0", and ability to cast "long", you can cast long with good timing. I always suggest to get a couple of casting lessons just to iron out any issues with casting, as well as, that knowledge will really go a long way to probably helping in situations that you encounter in the future.

Michael
Member of the IFFF Fly Tying Group

Martin Luther King Jr (1963) said, "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but when he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

"Limit your catch....... Don't catch your Limit"
Old 04-02-2015, 10:31 PM
Blue Lip

Excellent info guys thankyou!
I'll lock in the 7'10" stick then because like I thought it'll be perfect for the codding that it will see most of its use doing and I'll be able to get away using it for the faster fish once my casting is capable of the same.

New question then, a floating line and an intermediate for snag bashing (cod and barra), whats your picks??

Thanks again!
Old 04-02-2015, 11:05 PM
Mature Bream

The Redfish floaters are pretty popular for the purposes you describe. Otherwise if you want a more aggressive head the Rio outbounds and Wulff Ambush tapers offer floating & intermediate options.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:01 AM
Blue Lip

Hmm the epic bandit 10wt would be a ripper cod stick, but not sure of its suitability for pelagics- probably not the best.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:34 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargeass View Post
Excellent info guys thankyou!
I'll lock in the 7'10" stick then because like I thought it'll be perfect for the codding that it will see most of its use doing and I'll be able to get away using it for the faster fish once my casting is capable of the same.

New question then, a floating line and an intermediate for snag bashing (cod and barra), whats your picks??

Thanks again!
It depends on where you are fishing. For mrc a floating line will be fine in most situations. For places like the nymboida or Clarence I'd opt for a an intermediate or floating line with an intermediate tip.
For barra again it comes down to location. Up at hinchinbrook recently we fished floating lines for both snag bashing and fishing for them on the flats. But it was super clear skinny water. If I was blind casting snags in dirtier or slightly deeper water I'd opt for a floating/intermediate if I was fishing edges in an impoundment I'd fish a full intermediate.
For this type of fishing it pays to have a reel with a spare spool so you can run two lines. I normally run a floating line on one and floating intermediate on the other. The rio outbound short comes in both floating and f/I and are a great line for what you want to do.
Old 05-02-2015, 02:11 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tug speedman View Post
It depends on where you are fishing. For mrc a floating line will be fine in most situations. For places like the nymboida or Clarence I'd opt for a an intermediate or floating line with an intermediate tip.
For barra again it comes down to location. Up at hinchinbrook recently we fished floating lines for both snag bashing and fishing for them on the flats. But it was super clear skinny water. If I was blind casting snags in dirtier or slightly deeper water I'd opt for a floating/intermediate if I was fishing edges in an impoundment I'd fish a full intermediate.
For this type of fishing it pays to have a reel with a spare spool so you can run two lines. I normally run a floating line on one and floating intermediate on the other. The rio outbound short comes in both floating and f/I and are a great line for what you want to do.
You pretty much nailed the fishing I do and where I'm headed up north except the impoundment work haha. I'm going to run two spools, one with a floating line and one with a full intermediate, looks like the rio outbound is where I'll be looking
Old 05-02-2015, 06:59 AM
Big Bream

There are so many lines on the market now, all of them are really hitting the mark in terms of quality.

Unless you're up in the tropics a lot, you won't need a tropical line as it will tend to coil like wire in this weather in general.

A Coldwater line is the way to go and a full floater WF10F in a freshwater line if that is what you're mainly doing. It will float fine if in saltwater, just a "little" higher.

A full intermediate WF10I or intermediate with floating running line WF10F/I is the choice you have and also in freshwater. Like Tug Speedman mentioned, the Rio lines are really nice and have that variety that really works.

Michael
Member of the IFFF Fly Tying Group

Martin Luther King Jr (1963) said, "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but when he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

"Limit your catch....... Don't catch your Limit"