Go Back   Bream Master Forums > National SportFishing Scene > General Tournament Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 26-06-2008, 04:41 AM
Fishing Tragic

Angling Club - Ideas\Feedback Please

The guys are after some feedback on a new angling club.

Please see below:

(From Dave Press)

Hi Guys.
I thought I'd whack a thread up (thanks for the tip Bear) for people to air their idea's and opinions on things they'd like in a tournament club. Keeping in mind the club will be run as a sporting club (committee of volunteers and not for profit) and that it is not going to be a full tournament scene only. We'd like to keep it as open and friendly as possible for new people that might possibly have felt intimidated in the past by fast boats and percieved "gun" anglers only.

We have had a small meeting to get the ball rolling and have a few people already putting hands up for committee positions and the likes, but we'd love more feedback.

I have questions that I'd love some feedback on.

1) What are your thoughts on a small annual membership payment as per all other sports? Say $30 or so per annum. Keep in mind it is a non-profit organization and all money goes back into the club (paying insurance, expansion of club assets, etc)

2) Two day events with random pairings and shared weight to help introduce new anglers to the sport. Your opinions?

3) Two species weekend events...say Skippy jigging day one, Bream day two. Your opinions?

4) Targetting Western Yellowfin Bream, Black Bream and Pikey Bream in regions north of Perth (Kalbarri, Greenough, Shark Bay, etc). Your opinions?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BreamOnFly/
----------------------------------------------
http://www.breammaster.com/images/bea001.jpg
Old 26-06-2008, 04:55 AM
Big Bream

Thanks Bear.
Sorry misunderstood you before. Been stuck working havent had a chance to do it myself.

Old 26-06-2008, 04:56 AM
Big Bream

Also my questions are only a guide to get things started. Feel free to expand on all possible topics. Also feel free to fire more questions if you have any.

Dave

Old 26-06-2008, 05:02 AM
The Angry Administrator

Not sure if Id worry to much about heading North for Bream, if Im spending 6-8 hrs in a car Id be thinking I might as well spend 13hrs in one and end up in Exmouth.

Im sure there would be more success restricting to Perth and the Southern areas, also I have to wonder that restricting the first gathering to 15 may have an adverse effect on numbers in the future.

Id be trying and getting as many as possible down to the first gathering as that would give better results for people wanting to join the club down the track, and not just what could seem the lucky 15.

Then a good possibility would be a club trip North to chase better things, like we did with Hedland, except we had more fun chasing things other than Bream.

A small fee would be 100% necessary as you would need to cover public liability insurance at the weigh ins at a minimum I think.

Just a couple of thoughts

Great idea though, pity my weekends are now taken up with Sport again, looking forward to a couple of summer ones as well, but I think the main idea is to keep the really great social atmosphere alive and well in WA. Its always great to catch up for a chat.

cheers

"Kill, Grill, Chill and Swill"

Last edited by Richo; 26-06-2008 at 05:05 AM.
Old 26-06-2008, 05:10 AM
Big Bream

I'd like to think people could incorporate a bream day into a trip north. From what I understand there is actually quite a bit of interest in it up there. 6 or so hours isn't that much different to driving to Albany or Walpole for Blacks.

The reason for the smaller numbers at the start is purely because they were actually organized before the club idea and seperate. We have to be careful how big they are purely for safety and liability. People are more than welcome down for a BBQ and drinks though.

Given we are openning the club up to other species...what would be your thoughts on Mangrove jack event somewhere north Richo? Or Spanglie event?

Dave

Old 26-06-2008, 05:15 AM
Big Bream

I agree with richos comments, also would be more than happy to join the committee to make this happen. I have nbeen a member for a while now but haven't entered any comps because I didn't want to show myself up. Been fishing for over 30 years but can't get a hang with the swan (formerely nsw). I attended the bream hands on day and learned heaps (and bought a rod off Bear) and had a fantastic day despite the weather. Am available for any thing and can probably help out with accomodation fro places like Carnarvon, Exmouth, Karratha, and Port headland (no promises). But overall a sterling idea, by the way I am john and Shayne is my son. Cheers.
Old 26-06-2008, 07:43 AM
Blue Lip

hehe spanglie comp eh richo.... need bigger livewells but hey im keen as mustard
Old 26-06-2008, 08:03 AM
Big Bream

Angling Club

Dear Bear, Brad, Dave & Co,

It is a great idea.
1. A small fee is understanable, take also into account treasury, newsletter, naming, office, ammenities, email & internet costs.
2. I suggest a 3 division club; due to the spread of the members accross W.A. EG: Middle Perh, North Western & South Western. This is dependant though on the amount of interest by anglers. Each division could hold its weekender competition, then an annual weekender could be held in Perth to bring each division together.
3. Random pairing would be fun and sharing of weight, it certainly evens up the competitiveness of anglers, and adds new light to learning off each other.
4. You could hod the normal type of Breaming event on the Sat and then an all round fish event on the Sunday, an award given for the biggest & weighted fish in each species caught; eg; heaviest salmon caught that day, the heaviest mulloway, etc, save having to have separate comps for each fish.
5. Also allow anglers to catch from the shore.
Old 26-06-2008, 08:23 AM
Blue Lip

I posted up ages ago about my bass club back home and how they ran social comps. We had a monthly meeting and a comp the following sat or sun we had a mix of one day and 2 day comps. You had a 100 fee per year for the club,comps cost 40$ and the nb pitched in for fuel.You also fished with differnt people because it was a random draw similar to wabt but you fish as a team that day combined weight. All they entry fee bar the 10% for club went back in winnings for top 3 places and a big fish bonus.There was also a angler of the year thing aswell for top boater and non boater. Worked a treat and was quiet fun didnt cost much and you could learn a fair bit while fishing with other people.
Old 26-06-2008, 08:40 AM
Mature Bream

just my 2 cents worth

now i love my bream fishing and im no pro like u fellas and gals but i would love to get to brush sholders with them in the know and were better than in a club and it would be great to meet new people with the same intrest and make new friends toboot and i personly don't know much about comps but i would love to give it ago fee's not a problem personally i would just love to be involed with something that involes my favorate pass time....CHEERS GUY'S AND GAL'S
Old 26-06-2008, 08:43 AM
Blue Lip

Alex, man can you pm me a bit more about those comps?

No probs boss, you dont need to be a pro at all, we want committed members who enjoy fishing. You will learn so much and make more friends too.
Old 26-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Mature Bream

I think this a fantastic idea. The informal nature will attract more people to the sport as will the (hopefully) learning environment.

I also think that in a club environment, it won't matter what sort of events are run, the members who want to fish it will, and the others can fish the ones they want.

What a wonderful way to bring people with a common intrest together! Count me in, no matter what form this eventually takes, and if I can help in any way, I will try.
Old 26-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Blue Lip

This is the type of thing we want Gaz, committed people to join in and share and learn along the way.
Old 26-06-2008, 08:37 PM
Big Bream

this sounds great dave ,we have formed a social bream club here in mandurah ,our first meeting is this weekend ,may be an oppertunity for club challanges or to boost each others feilds for events ,as most of our mem,bers are first timers who are keen to fish for bream on lures,just a thought

paul

married men live longer than single men
married men are more willing to die
Old 27-06-2008, 12:44 AM
The Angry Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Y View Post
hehe spanglie comp eh richo.... need bigger livewells but hey im keen as mustard
My problem is I struggle to keep them alive, maybe its the spike in the head thing its certainly a possibility but not something Id bother with at the moment, I prefer free fishing unrestricted especially up there. But it is possible, not sure how a Spanglie would go in a live-well, we never did it.

When we had what we wanted we just let them go, one thing the do release real well, as you are catching them in shallow water.

The Port Hedland trip was great but I know most will agree that we had a lot more fun chasing all the other species up there, and in the end chasing bream seemed really secondary.

Last year in February I think there was at least 12 plus of us at Exmouth at the same time, so some type of gathering like that wuold be great. I would suggest during the real hot weather so we can have the run of the place again.

I can't compare 8 hrs in the car going North to any trip South, and the scenery alone makes travelling South a lot easier. Going North is boring as piss, and I find I just want to get to where Im heading asap. I very much doubt Id stop anywhere for a short or extended period before reaching the main destination.

Geez I waffle crap.

"Kill, Grill, Chill and Swill"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: