Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 11-07-2018, 08:54 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Lure snaps - trying to get a top ten list together

I'd be interested to hear what lure snaps everyone is using these days.

I buy 100 packs of ebay cheapies 3-5c each which are super strong and reliable - The small size I used for bream are about 9mm long and can handle 30lb of drag before opening up. (massive overkill - but the stated breaking strain was 11lb)

I also have the 15mm and 20mm version of the same clip and they are super strong - the 15mm got to 44lb before I got scared and stopped pulling on the scales.

But I just saw a post about Mustad quick attach snaps which got me thinking - changing tiny snaps in the middle of winter when your fingers dont work isnt much fun.

So if you have a preferred brand and style of snap - feel free to add it here so I can add it to a poll
Old 11-07-2018, 10:26 PM
Blue Lip

Just started using the Gamakatsu Hyper EZ Snap EZ Lock System and have to say they are brilliant.

Problem I have had with most of them is that it is too hard to open and securely close the snaps. I find it super easy to open and close even in the small size I use for my bream lures.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:57 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodWorm View Post
Just started using the Gamakatsu Hyper EZ Snap EZ Lock System and have to say they are brilliant.

Problem I have had with most of them is that it is too hard to open and securely close the snaps. I find it super easy to open and close even in the small size I use for my bream lures.
Yeah just had a look at those - they appear to have a slightly longer wire loop than average, which would explain the ease of opening - the size #1 are rated to 15kg so they sound plenty strong aswell

Last edited by yellow door 1; 12-07-2018 at 01:10 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:50 PM
Blue Lip

Think ive posted about the Mustads. I love em but can be a pain depending how recessed the tow point is into the bib. Rust in the blink of an eye if you dont rinse em too. Besides that ive not had any issues.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:40 PM
Blue Lip

I suffer from 'fat finger' syndrome but finally found a snap I could manage: Black Magic swivel with snap. I remove the swivel and just use the snap. I use the 2-3kg for my breaming. I have found the need to check that it is locked in place from time to time - I hate seeing an hb flying off into the distance but not conected to my leader as I use a loop knot attached to the snap - but I have not had any other issues with them. When snagged my leader/braid knot has always let go before the snap. Regards HBt.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:49 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB tragic View Post
I suffer from 'fat finger' syndrome but finally found a snap I could manage: Black Magic swivel with snap. I remove the swivel and just use the snap. I use the 2-3kg for my breaming. I have found the need to check that it is locked in place from time to time - I hate seeing an hb flying off into the distance but not conected to my leader as I use a loop knot attached to the snap - but I have not had any other issues with them. When snagged my leader/braid knot has always let go before the snap. Regards HBt.
Yeah - I trim my nails real short, which is great for not getting dirt under them - but not so good for small lure clips - there are times, especially after a manicure, that needle nose jewellers pliers save the day
Old 11-07-2018, 11:42 PM
Big Bream

I have always used Decoy snaps in both the smallest and the second smallest sizes. I find the smallest size are very hard to use as they're just too small for my fat fingers to manipulate. I've never had one fail me and that's probably because I only use 4lb leaders most of the time.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:03 AM
Poddy Bream

I think the ones I use are the literally the cheapest ones on ebay, they were $3 or so for 100 9 x 4.5mm. I suppose they will be $3.30 thanks to "Gerry". I say that like Newman used to say "Jerry" in episodes of Seinfeld.
Hooked - Captivated by or devoted to a custom or thing.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:18 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydownunder View Post
I think the ones I use are the literally the cheapest ones on ebay, they were $3 or so for 100 9 x 4.5mm. I suppose they will be $3.30 thanks to "Gerry". I say that like Newman used to say "Jerry" in episodes of Seinfeld.
We might be shopping at the same place - I'd usually say they are an impressive snap for the price - but those snaps would be impressive at any price.

I'll find an ebay link when I get home

Edit - my guy isnt selling them anymore

Last edited by yellow door 1; 12-07-2018 at 05:17 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:33 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windknot View Post
I have always used Decoy snaps in both the smallest and the second smallest sizes. I find the smallest size are very hard to use as they're just too small for my fat fingers to manipulate. I've never had one fail me and that's probably because I only use 4lb leaders most of the time.
Yeah I used to use them aswell but I'm a tight arse and 50c+ a snap didnt seem quite right to me. Those little decoys are rated to break at around 20lb - I've never scaled tested them but I'd go along with that

I fish most nights after work so I can churn through a bit of tackle - so I was very pleasantly surprised to find 3c snaps performing well above expectations
Old 12-07-2018, 12:53 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windknot View Post
ive opened up the smallest decoys on a snag on 4lb.
as with everyone else here, even with skinny fingers i find the decoys a bit fiddly to open and close on a cold day.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:24 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple5ive View Post
ive opened up the smallest decoys on a snag on 4lb.
as with everyone else here, even with skinny fingers i find the decoys a bit fiddly to open and close on a cold day.
Yeah that cant be confidence inspiring - any chance you left the clip open? Or are the decoys you bought a particularly fine wire clip?
Old 12-07-2018, 09:04 AM
Mature Bream

Decoy round snap size 00

They are a pain but I use pliers to open and close. I also find rhem easier put onto the split ring or tow point with the pliers.
Old 13-07-2018, 03:09 AM
Dead Set Legend

Smile with pics

Never really been a fan of clips for bream lures after I lost a tourny winning fish to a clip opening failure
I had replaced the split ring on a Halco sneaky scorp with a small clip as the old Halco split rings had razor sharp ends on the spirals.

It was a no-name crosslock type repackaged from bulk into a tackle store pack.

I only use clips now when squidding and the various Egi style have never let me down.
Originally I used the Gama Hyper, then moved on to the Daiwa EG as I liked the narrow loop where they attach to the jig.

Gamakatsu.JPG
Daiwa-snap.JPG

Like others I had trouble with the tight spring clip mechanism, so have moved on to the twist on type, favourites are the Mustad Fastach & the Breaden Snap.
I ALWAYS use a clip with squid jigs to protect the knot when the jig nose bumps along the bottom.
Mustad
mustad fastach.jpg

Breaden
Breaden-snap_close.jpg

I have also used the Owner P-20 clips to attach extra weight to squid jigs when fishing deeper water but I want to use a smaller jig.
Owner_lure_clip.jpg
Old 15-07-2018, 08:39 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Yeah that cant be confidence inspiring - any chance you left the clip open? Or are the decoys you bought a particularly fine wire clip?
nah closed 100% was fishing a shallow reef and my muddy prawn got snagged, whipped the rod to my hearts content to get the lure unstuck and eventually came off minus the lure and snap was open, so i had to force it open basically.
they are certainly fine wire and im pretty sure its the 00 size
will check and confirm when i get home

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: