Go Back   Bream Master Forums > FishPhart > Share Your Shots

Share Your Shots Share With us Your Favorite Shots

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 155 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 24-10-2014, 02:28 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
I have no doubt you could probably make it work casting really small lures and plastics Marty. I've even thought of trying it myself. I'm not totally against the idea. I'm here to be convinced.... I suppose I just have a issue with the way you push the idea.
Chief, the bream you guys catch down south...do you even need small lures??!!
I heard in Tas up to dog-x juniors are used.

As to pushing...

"If you want to make enemies, try to change something"

I expect here on BM perception will start to sway once the Dawia Alphas SV 105 and AIR is released in '15

Last edited by Martin Lo; 24-10-2014 at 02:30 AM.
Old 24-10-2014, 03:50 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCYL View Post

As to pushing...

I expect here on BM perception will start to sway once the Dawia Alphas SV 105 and AIR is released in '15
i think you sound like you know what you are talking about and good on you
if you can use BC gear in the ways you are stating and it helps catching fish then i am sure the BC sales will go nuts very soon
been toying with the idea for a while for my yak bass fishing but think the unknown is what makes people sceptical.Would love to spend a few days with someone like yourself to get some tips and lessons
Old 24-10-2014, 03:54 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:

As to pushing...

Yeah mate I do use small lures a fair bit. Between early October and late December usually in a few systems. Pre spawn and spawning Bream in a few systems down here really require a lot of finesse. They are very spooky and will sit high in the water either tailing or a few inches under and if you muck up the cast it usually means they spook. Some of the time even the perfect cast with a small lure like a MX48 or SX40 isn't enough. You will nail the cast and they will spook when you move the lure. That's why I have to resort to unweighted plastics a fair bit.

Most of the time we fish bigger minnows, topwaters and shad style lures from 50-80mm. Dog X will work and I've seen the Fakie dog bring a few undone to.

Like I said I'm not totally against the idea. Would like to see it in action with some smaller Bream lures chucked at structure. I also have another question for you. Forget finesse and think sudden death racks Breaming. What about BC gear for that? Fishing 55-70mm minnows/topwayers in 1 to 2ft of water chasing big Tas Bream in the racks. The racks are 5m apart usually. Normally fish 8lb leader and 10lb braid. 2500 daiwa and MB RC full house 6'10''. What the retrieve rate you can get on BC gear? I find almost locking the drag and cranking them in is the best way to land them.
Old 24-10-2014, 04:08 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Yeah mate I do use small lures a fair bit. Between early October and late December usually in a few systems. Pre spawn and spawning Bream in a few systems down here really require a lot of finesse. They are very spooky and will sit high in the water either tailing or a few inches under and if you muck up the cast it usually means they spook. Some of the time even the perfect cast with a small lure like a MX48 or SX40 isn't enough. You will nail the cast and they will spook when you move the lure. That's why I have to resort to unweighted plastics a fair bit.

Most of the time we fish bigger minnows, topwaters and shad style lures from 50-80mm. Dog X will work and I've seen the Fakie dog bring a few undone to.

Like I said I'm not totally against the idea. Would like to see it in action with some smaller Bream lures chucked at structure. I also have another question for you. Forget finesse and think sudden death racks Breaming. What about BC gear for that? Fishing 55-70mm minnows/topwayers in 1 to 2ft of water chasing big Tas Bream in the racks. The racks are 5m apart usually. Normally fish 8lb leader and 10lb braid. 2500 daiwa and MB RC full house 6'10''. What the retrieve rate you can get on BC gear? I find almost locking the drag and cranking them in is the best way to land them.
Racks fishing is one area I can see BC being of advantage just being able to plant your thumb on the spool and stop a running fish instantly would be pretty big plus but I spose your doing the same with the beefed up spin tackle. It's one of the main reasons why people fish for murray cod almost exclusively with bc when you hook a good cod in a sang you can't give it an inch.
Old 24-10-2014, 04:43 AM
Big Bream

Retrieve ratios vary from reel to reel.
This after a short cast retrieves at 77cm per wind, my metanium XG (/w Hedgehog spool) retrieves at somewhere north of 90cm per turn. I like to use straight FC as the bit of stretch lets me set hard and fast. With the concept rod I think I can send bream flying back on hook set it was chosen to cast very light yet able to deliver 10lb pressure at 45 deg deflection. Clutch engagement is instant on striking water.

The biggest advantage of BFS in structures as such is the ability to use 8,10,12lb FC without too much trouble. I've used up to 14lb Seaguar Tatsu for jacks.

I too love weightless plastics. The prongs float so here its rigged with 1/40 internal weight jigs.

Lately I can't find bream to save my life so i'll go find a smaller legal barra to cast at with the addition of a 14lb bite leader.

Damn thing wont embed.
Here's the vid of a quick test using described setup.

Chief...I still remember the oysters and brie sold made in Tas. I think you've just given me another reason to head down.

Last edited by Martin Lo; 24-10-2014 at 04:48 AM.
Old 24-10-2014, 05:45 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobymcclure View Post
In summation regarding BFS

Simple,

1. tie on the bait.
2. Dial CC so the baits at a controlled fall.
3. Cast at fish
and

Last edited by Martin Lo; 24-10-2014 at 05:49 AM.
Old 24-10-2014, 06:02 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Simple,

1. tie on the bait.
2. Dial CC so the baits at a controlled fall.
3. Cast at fish
and
That dude could do with some new carpet!
Old 24-10-2014, 06:09 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
That dude could do with some new carpet!
Well Chief, the thing is, when you use BFS gear you catch more fish and hence require more footwork to fight them, resulting the more rapid degradation of your deck carpet. It's a vicous cycle.

In all seriousness, I'm with you MCYL. I reckon there can be some good advantages to using BC gear for bream, and there is also a lot of fun to be had in meeting the challenge.
Old 24-10-2014, 06:35 AM
Mature Bream

Hey MCYL, whats the deal with casting with fluro. I really struggled casting 12lb fluro on my alphas finesse custom due to it being so stiff. If I put on some 12lb nice supple mono or braid I have no problems at all.
Old 24-10-2014, 08:00 AM
Big Bream

Once I get a Hobie with Mirage drive, I certainly would give Bream BFS a try. Trolling past pontoons is starting to lose it's exciting-ness.
Old 24-10-2014, 08:02 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny88 View Post
Hey MCYL, whats the deal with casting with fluro. I really struggled casting 12lb fluro on my alphas finesse custom due to it being so stiff. If I put on some 12lb nice supple mono or braid I have no problems at all.
You using a mainline fluoro or leader fluoro?
Old 24-10-2014, 10:11 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The G factor View Post
You using a mainline fluoro or leader fluoro?
I use straight fluoro for the mainline, I know its not optimal for topwater but I like FC for its better abrasion resistance and I don't give it time to sink anyway.

Benny.. the deal with FC is... its just a DohDohDohDohDoh. In Australia shops and suppliers don't discern between types of FCs, where I am, I once walked into a store fully stocked with sunline and the sales had no idea which was which just trying to tell me the pricier one is better.

With FC they split up into casting FC and "Pitch & Flip" FC. Casting is softer more supple with pitching/flip FC being harder and more abrasion resistant.
The softer ones tend to have much better knot strength too.

An example is Yamamoto Sugoi FC.
Sugoi flipping FC is a great leader material with a high knot strength rare in this category. It's great for pitching as the spool feels like its paying out line under its own steam.. but not fun to cast.

Sugoi grey casting FC is a lot more supple and very much like mono, its easy to manage this stuff.

Given that BFS is intended to be versatile I recommend a softer FC line such as Sugoi or Seaguar Tatsu. And since 3-6lb FC handles OK with 2506 (3000S) Spools you may as well go straight up and spool a casting reel with 8lb or above line.
Old 24-10-2014, 10:41 AM
Big Bream

Dialing up the CC also help control the spool towards the middle and end if the cast
Old 24-10-2014, 04:32 PM
Mature Bream

Thanks for the info. I tried sunline sniper fc 12lb and was hating life.
Old 24-10-2014, 07:40 PM
Blue Lip

Getting some gear ready for a week of trout fishing
Thought I'd share how cool my 2506h luvias looks with a bit of red rcs!
Cheers matt