Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Rods

Rods Get the goss on what’s hot, and what’s not...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 05:31 AM
Big Bream

Recoil guides?

What are all the problems people talk about regarding these guides I don't mind them. do problems arise further down the track or? Just curious
Old 07-02-2012, 05:39 AM
Mature Bream

I've got them on my g loomis rod I have
Never had a problem at all with them.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:55 AM
Big Bream

yeah i like them.
all im getting at is why do alot of people say "oh nahh there bad guides" just want to know why ive seen some of the guys on here say "nah i wouldnt ever get recoil guides. i just want to know whats so bad about them haha?
Old 07-02-2012, 07:01 AM
Blue Lip

the recoil stripper guide & tip may cause knot problems when casting - solved by using SIC stripper/tip like the some of the t-curve flight models

custom rods are sometimes built with SIC stripper or K guide for this reason. REC guides meant to be lighter and hard to destroy. makes awesome noise when casting braid and whilst fighting fish
Old 07-02-2012, 07:02 AM
Blue Lip

You get a bit of line wrap over your guides if you have the stripper as a recoil. Most people get them made with a standard guide as the first guide so this doesnt happen as much. The line can also try to work its way through the coil in the guide (because they are similar to a spring)

Most complaints about the guides are from people that have never had them and just say it to look like they know stuff about rods. Half of it is bunkem, there is some truth to it but they are good guides, I wouldnt have bought 6 set up with recoils and k guides if I didnt think they where good.

Cheers
Chris
Old 07-02-2012, 07:08 AM
Big Bream

Ahh i see! thanks tuan and bobby yeah all my rods with recoil guides have SIC tips. i have had the braid wind its self in the guide once but it wasnt a omg everythings ruined kind of thing though! easy fix. i dont like the look of the K frame guides though they are probably great but just dont like how they look haha
Old 07-02-2012, 07:09 AM
Poddy Bream

I bought a T-curve flight with recoil guides when they were going cheap and didn't like them at first but have had no problems with them while fishing. I think it's more of a cosmetic thing they look a bit strange if you haven't had a rod with then before but they seem to do the job?
Old 07-02-2012, 07:12 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
I bought a T-curve flight with recoil guides when they were going cheap and didn't like them at first but have had no problems with them while fishing. I think it's more of a cosmetic thing they look a bit strange if you haven't had a rod with then before but they seem to do the job?
yeah man at first i agree its a bit weird but there ment to be great for line under friction or so they say and so far id agree with that.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:15 AM
Blue Lip

All my GLX rods have recoils and I have no issues with them.

I think some guys get guide wraps which is what people mostly complain about. But as far as I know it comes down to casting technique. I guess some people often palm them off as "omg crappy guides are crap" after a guide wrap and aren't willing to adjust.

Makes sense to have an alternative stripper and tip though. I'd say more importantly the tip.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:21 AM
Big Bream

Yeah 100% agree Joel
Old 07-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Blue Lip

In the big scheme of things I am very inexperienced but the only issue I have had with my recoils has been my poor casting from time to time. As has been quoted before - 'It tends to be a poor workman that blames his tools.' Regards. HBt.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Mature Bream

I have 2 T-Curve Flights with them, and love them!

Admittedly l have the ones with SiC stripper and tip guides. I understand they use SiC tips to stop the squealing that is apparent with recoils.

Having flicked around mine compared to a full Sic guided rod, you can definitely tell the difference in weight and action.....

I recommend them!

Bigpat

PB Bream SP: 33cm Gulp 6" Camo Worm (what else...)
PB Bream HB: 36cm ZipBait Rigge 46s MDR