Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Rods

Rods Get the goss on what’s hot, and what’s not...

Old 14-11-2012, 06:37 AM
Mature Bream

Help with rod building

Seeing silvatrevas thread inspired me..

I would like to build a custom rod in my spare time in the arvo's and don't know what I need to get for the actual rod building set-up sort of thing or where to start..Like obviously need blank, guides,thread,glue,grips etc
But what other things will aid the binding and drying?

Also any tips would be great, looking a jack/ barra BC, and are Loomis blanks available?

Thanks dale
Old 14-11-2012, 06:41 AM
Blue Lip

Hi Dale, try Youtube for tutorials.

Good luck and show some photos in the process...

Monster Miki Addict
Old 14-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Banned

Its pretty expensive, As I assume you saw Mitchisdatwitch's posts? That is his first time rod building. He paid something like $650 to start off with for the gear and 1 Blank and also $200 shipping from the US. After that, it ends up being much cheaper for every build because the start up with drying motors and stuff like that is expensive. Its an addiction
I fist saw my name and I was like whattttt? haha thanks
I think Mitch can supply you with the info of what he got.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 14-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Big Bream

If you think you will build rods into the future then the following gear is what i would invest in:

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Cata...er-Combo-Kit_2

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Cata...lders-Tool-Kit

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Cata...Assortment-Kit

After those items it is just the specific parts for rods i.e. blanks, guides, grips,epoxy, tip top glue butt caps/gimbals etc.

Another tip is to register a business name and then apply for a wholesale account with Mudhole using this info and you will save a considerable amount on top of their already cheap prices.

Stu
Old 14-11-2012, 11:18 PM
Big Bream

Loomis don't make blanks any more but MHX make the same sort of blanks that Loomis used to do. I have just got a MHX SJ782-2 for jacks and apperently it is identical to a Loomis IMX SJ782. Good luck!
Old 15-11-2012, 12:03 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Kingston- View Post
Seeing silvatrevas thread inspired me..

I would like to build a custom rod in my spare time in the arvo's and don't know what I need to get for the actual rod building set-up sort of thing or where to start..Like obviously need blank, guides,thread,glue,grips etc
But what other things will aid the binding and drying?

Also any tips would be great, looking a jack/ barra BC, and are Loomis blanks available?

Thanks dale
Loomis no longer sell blanks but there maybe some still around - Mudhole had some and I think Mo's had some as well but they could well have sold all of them by now, because its been a while since I looked.

You don't need to spend a fortune to set up for home rodbuilding.

I would start by looking at rodbuilding.org . There are heaps of photos on there of home made rodbuilding jigs. All the jig needs to do is hold the rod while you turn it so that you can bind on the guides. The one I made is below.
Timber with V slots and carpet to protect the blank. For a home builder its fine. Made somewhere near 10. But you can use a plastic crate or even a solid cardboard box.

Big help is something to keep tension on the thread. I have one with a bolt washers and spring so I can adjust the tension. But you can just hold it in your hand (I've never tried it that way - I like having 2 hands to work with. I have heard you can put the thread in a cup (to stop it rolling all over the place) run it through a book and adjust where in the book it is or how much weight is on the book to supply the tension.

You also want something to turn the rod while the epoxy sets in the last step. You can modify a BBQ rotisserie or other small motor or if you have plenty of time to sit and watch telly you could do it by hand.

Mudhole has some good tutorial videos and there are a heap on youtube as well I would guess.

Good luck
Crusty
Old 15-11-2012, 12:34 AM
Big Bream

I agree with you Crusty that you can build rods with home made equipment no problem at all but what i was trying to say was that if you think you may do this over a long period a decent lathe setup is soo much nicer and definitley makes detailed wrapping a lot easier.

A lathe is also a big help when shaping grips for that custom look.
Old 15-11-2012, 01:06 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuKlose View Post
I agree with you Crusty that you can build rods with home made equipment no problem at all but what i was trying to say was that if you think you may do this over a long period a decent lathe setup is soo much nicer and definitley makes detailed wrapping a lot easier.

A lathe is also a big help when shaping grips for that custom look.
I build my fly rods grips using cork rings, then shape up using a electric drill clamped into a folding workbench, as a lathe, with a alumium knitting needle as a mandrel.

Maybe I'm just a cheapskate, but I figure I'm not going to make rods professionally, just for me. So rather than throw heaps at the setup I just made stuff that would work for me.

Mind you I did use the same argument as you Stu when I was trying to justify a Dynaking Barracuda vice for tying flys to the better half. Good gear is nice.

I started to look at the decorative wraps. Some of the stuff that the guys do is amazing. I have had a go but couldn't get it to work. I think minimalist wrapping suit the light weight rods that I've built anyways. I do like the weaving though, just don't have the patience for it.

Crusty
Old 15-11-2012, 01:20 AM
Fingerling

Shimano don't supply Loomis blanks anymore however Gary Loomis has started a new company after leaving G Loomis called North Fork Composites who manufacture blanks. Great blanks.

The Rod Works in SA is also a good Aus site for rod building.