Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Freshwater > General

General Where's Hot, What's the Goss

Old 29-07-2017, 08:17 PM
Big Bream

Fly Combo Recomendations.

Hi
Pretty much what the title says, Dont want to go over $500 for the combo thinking around 5 weight plan on using it to chase Carp.
Thanks.
Old 30-07-2017, 08:00 AM
Mature Bream

A 6wt or 7wt is a better all rounder for bream and carp than a 5wt.

Chase up a local club that has a certified casting instructor. Every cent spent on casting lessons is valuable. You can learn some bad habits very quickly trying yourself and can be hard to get out of once learned. They will have rods to practice on and steer you in the right direction.

Basically what you are chasing the reel will be only really used to hold line, cheap one should be fine. Good quality reels that have sealed drags (for salt water fishing) are expensive and most likely not needed yet for you.

Rod is important but having the right line matched to the rod is more important than the actual rod. A 6wt or 7wt will help cast into wind much better than a 5wt and a fast taper will also help fishing in wind. The conditions you fish will need to be considered in your purchase. Generally most salt rods are fast tapered now, but are a bit harder to cast for beginners than a medium or slow taper. Depending on what flies you are casting also determines the rod and line weight as well. Turning over bigger heavier flies with heavier leaders for bream and big streamers for carp could be outside of a 5wt's capabilities depending on the particular rod.

Having the right line taper for the fishing you are doing in the spots you are fishing and the right weight is very important. Some 6wt lines are nearly 8wt lines, it's about grain weights. I was having some issues with one of my rods in which I couldn't load it right, cast it very far or get a decent presentation. I took it to a fly shop and tested about 10 different lines. Mine is a 6wt fast tapered rod and ended up with a pretty heavy 7wt line that transformed the rod into something that I had nothing but troubles with to a great feel and very easy to cast. But I also now have about 5 lines for the different fishing I do, from bigger trout in lakes to smaller trout in rivers and then estuary fishing. You will probably need a intermediate or sink tip and also a floating line.

But really this is all a tip of the iceberg. Getting to a local club will help you no end as they can help you choose the right leaders, flies, rod and lines and give you the initial casting practice tips.

Once you get the first fish on fly you will be hooked.

Last edited by beans07; 30-07-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Old 30-07-2017, 10:02 AM
Mature Bream

You've pretty well covered it all there beans.
A couple of casting lessons early is easily the best money that you can spend in your fly fishing journey.
Old 30-07-2017, 05:37 PM
Blue Lip

Absolutely agree with all of the above

Take casting lessons.

It saves a lot of time and frustration, plus given the cost of a decent fly line, it may even end up saving you money inthe long run

Once you've got that part sorted, get into tying flies, that's what I'm having a blast with, especially being surrounded by kids and work and cold weather and not being able to get out as often as I would like.

Being new to fly, I'm really enjoying being at home with a bunch of beers tying away until the wee hours.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:23 PM
Fingerling

Great advice Beans.

I use a fast 5wt with a 6wt Airflo line for most of my Bream fishing and it casts well.

A bream would pull a Trout backwards-they're such strong fish.

FlyTying is a great thing to get into as well.

Enjoy the journey
Old 03-08-2017, 12:06 AM
Big Bream

I sometimes use my 5 weight for bream, but only on the smaller creeks and on days when it's not too windy. Otherwise I use my 7 weight, which is much, much better when it's windy.

I like clear floating lines for bream, as the retrieve can be very similar to the action of a weighted soft plastic, when I use weighted flies. Bream find the lift and the fluttering down on the pause action of the fly irresistible, usually. I believe clear lines are less likely to spook flighty bream. I use an Airflo line.

Ditto on what the others said about casting lessons. I've never had any and it shows, but I can still achieve reasonable results most of the time. It doesn't look pretty though.

I have tied my own flies for many years. It's much more rewarding to catch a fish on the fly you've made yourself and it's great fun experimenting on new designs, materials, and concepts. It gives me something interesting to do during the evening and when it's too wet and windy to go fishing.

Last edited by Windknot; 03-08-2017 at 12:11 AM.
Old 16-09-2017, 07:34 PM
Big Bream

Smile

Thanks for the info boys.
I decided to buy a cheap 6 weight combo off eBay for $90 , with the idea if I got bored at least I won't waste much coin , and once I got good with casting etc I would upgrade .

As far as the casting goes I was doing it myself and not really getting anywere until a mate of mine offered to help me out ( was just about to start looking at getting lessons). He has helped me massively just with simple technique adjustments and I am getting better each time . He has also given me a steady supply of flies as Iam not interested in tying yet.
Actually really impressed with the combo aswell Will most likely just upgrade the WFF line shortly.

On the fishing front have got a few smallish bream on a bread fly and a couple of small Bass on gurglers.

Still trying to get my first Carp which is a whole
new battle, Plenty of them around were Iam fishing but casting accurately from the riverbank with trees behind you is another issue.

Once again thanks for the help, when I get that first Carp I will do up a new Post.

Last edited by Daniel_Folley; 16-09-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old 17-09-2017, 07:37 PM
Mature Bream

Good stuff Daniel.
Sounds like it might be time to learn the roll cast if you have little room for a back cast. Check out Carl McNeil's video 'Casts that catch fish'. There is a fair bit of it on YouTube.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: