Go Back   Bream Master Forums > National SportFishing Scene > General Tournament Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 04:39 AM
Mature Bream

Field Staff or Sponsored Angler

Hi Guys & Gals
Just wanted to open up a discussion around Field Staff verses Sponsored Anglers. I have now been around the tournament scene for a couple of years now and these words have started to appear more and more."Field staff"
What dose it mean? Is it a way for large companies to lock in more anglers without providing them the full benefits of a sponsorship? There is one company that currently that seems to have field staff by the dozens. What do the companies offer them and is it worth it.
Competing in the tournament scene is costly and every little bit helps even if it is a free lure to your entry fee so I do not knock anyone that is sponsored or are currently field staff but I would like to hear everyones thoughts.
Rodney
Old 04-04-2014, 05:48 AM
Blue Lip

Never been a field staff but I assume they still pay cost price for the majority of their gear and can probably use other brands a bit more. Pro staff or sponsored usually means they get most stuff for free and are supposed to use the sponsors products 99% of the time. Comp results don't really come into it but I suspect most guys that are pro staff are expected to do well. Its generally one of the best ways to promote gear.

Seems to be a lot of field staff around. Probably the cheapest way to get more people promoting their stuff.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:04 AM
Mature Bream

Obviously I'm a field staffer with strike pro, but I'm also on a Pro Tournament staffer for a different company.

Essentially both are mutually beneficial and both the companies I represent, and myself gain positively from the arrangement.

I don't wish to go into details about what each company provides me, but basically The Chief has got it right in his previous post.

As a field staffer I am expected to promote their products through social media. As a tournament staffer I am expected to promote their products through tournaments participation, and obviously, using their products in said tournaments. As well as promotion through social media.

Cheers
Corey
Old 04-04-2014, 06:38 AM
Blue Lip

I think you will find very few guys get stuff for nothing,

Some may have a budget of free gear but in most instances id say they will go over this allowance and end up paying for it out of their own pocket all be it at a discounted price.

Field staff I would assume get a few test samples then get the rest at cost (retail) or similar.

Pat
Old 04-04-2014, 07:10 AM
Mature Bream

I think the defenition/expectations/benefits may vary a bit from one comapny/sponsor to another too.
Either way, you will probably be getting some/all gear @ wholesale or even cost price. You may or may not be expected to use that brand exclusively. You probably get some freebies, maybe stuff that isn't widely available yet.

Other benefits can include good deals with "associated" companies, fishing trips with you sponsor or fellow field/pro staff, and sharing in a knowlege pool that may not be so widely available to the "general public". I'm lucky enough to be "field staff, pro staff, and 'supporter'" for several different companies, and it's these "fringe benefits" that to me are the main attraction.

As benefits may vary, so do expectations. Both should be made clear in the beginning. If you are a successful tournasment angler, you will keep most sponsors happy. If you are an average fisho, that enjoys using various social media, taking some photos, writing trip reports - many "sponsors" will be happy with that too.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:23 AM
Blue Lip

I think Field staff are just a great marketing tool for Social media advertiseing, the staff are usually low cost or no cost at all getting lures at near cost price(the companys cost price),Breammaster is the biggest picnic in town and its makes good sense to have Field staff for your business on here ,the staffers seem happy with the arrangement and most are seasoned breamers not always young kids as has been in the past.

I see sponsored anglers as folks doing there talking in tournaments and results,you will not see Russel Babs,Warren Carter and a lot of other guys on Bream Master,so i see the Sponsored as Elite and Feild staff as experienced breamers that spend more time on social media,both have a role to play in marketing.

Having said that i find it amusing it someone has a problem with xyz's lures ,Feild staffers come out of the woodwork in a nano second and defend the product saying how wonderful it is,but we have to expect that,another thing i just remembered is being amused by folks that have never used a product but as soon as they get a Feild staff position its the best lure they have ever used,but its all good,,if anybodys looking for a sponsorship a Feild staff position might be a good stepping stone.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:08 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagga View Post
Obviously I'm a field staffer with strike pro, but I'm also on a Pro Tournament staffer for a different company.

Essentially both are mutually beneficial and both the companies I represent, and myself gain positively from the arrangement.

I don't wish to go into details about what each company provides me, but basically The Chief has got it right in his previous post.

As a field staffer I am expected to promote their products through social media. As a tournament staffer I am expected to promote their products through tournaments participation, and obviously, using their products in said tournaments. As well as promotion through social media.

Cheers
Corey
Corey
Thank you for your comment but I do have a question. Do the two companies you are representing have similar products or are they totally different?
Rodney
Old 05-04-2014, 04:31 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortytheyakker View Post
I think Field staff are just a great marketing tool for Social media advertiseing, the staff are usually low cost or no cost at all getting lures at near cost price(the companys cost price),Breammaster is the biggest picnic in town and its makes good sense to have Field staff for your business on here ,the staffers seem happy with the arrangement and most are seasoned breamers not always young kids as has been in the past.

I see sponsored anglers as folks doing there talking in tournaments and results,you will not see Russel Babs,Warren Carter and a lot of other guys on Bream Master,so i see the Sponsored as Elite and Feild staff as experienced breamers that spend more time on social media,both have a role to play in marketing.

Having said that i find it amusing it someone has a problem with xyz's lures ,Feild staffers come out of the woodwork in a nano second and defend the product saying how wonderful it is,but we have to expect that,another thing i just remembered is being amused by folks that have never used a product but as soon as they get a Feild staff position its the best lure they have ever used,but its all good,,if anybodys looking for a sponsorship a Feild staff position might be a good stepping stone.
Shortytheyakker
Here here I agree with your comment around anglers becoming Feild staff and suddenly there using best lure ever. I would be more happy with them using the product, catching fish and doing a write up around it.
Rodney
Old 05-04-2014, 04:45 AM
Poddy Bream

Honestly it's hard to believe a lot of stuff written these days. You just don't know who us sponsored by who. I know of people that get paid a lot to promote gear. And I mean heaps plus a freebie budget on top.

I would prefer real product reviews were you see the rod actually bend on a big fish.

At the end of the day I try and use all the gear I want before I buy and take what's said by sponsored / field staff with a grain of salt.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:06 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewdog View Post
Corey
Thank you for your comment but I do have a question. Do the two companies you are representing have similar products or are they totally different?
Rodney
Hey Rodney,

They two companies are not in competition with each other and sell different products. The arrangement obviously wouldn't work if they were in direct competition to each other.

Cheers,
Corey.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:37 AM
Mature Bream

I think where field staff/pro staff would be of great benefit is if you already know what brand rod your after, they might be able to tell you which model would be closest to what your after etc. Ive PM'd a member on here before asking about the range of rods he uses, and valued the feedback. After all, some of these people have had a play with many in the range, and not just loaded up in the tackle store either, but actually fished with them over time.

I personally have enjoyed some of the vids and articles put up by field staff or sponsored anglers, and take into account way they fish their lures etc. Wether its from a sponsored angler or a nobody, if they are catching fish and willing to give on info to the less talented well that's only a good thing as far as im concerned. I know Cranka and their people get this piss pulled outta them at times, but I believe that some of the info that has been shared has been great. Of course the techniques can be used on other brands of lures too. JMO

I can quickly tell which people give me the shits with blatant posts about their brand and I ignore them as such.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: