Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Getting Started

Getting Started If you’re new to the Sport then this is the forum for you.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:45 AM
Poddy Bream

Breamin' FNQ

Now whilst this Cyclone bears down on my house, I have been doing a lot more canal fishing than normal and can comfortably and successfully target bream on bait - but not a chance on lures. Have never managed one and whilst trying to implement the same techniques as I see down south, all I yield are trevally or cod.

So what I ask is has anyone targeted them up here and can anyone give me any pointers? I have a target of a 40cm+ Bream on my list for this year and am super keen to tick it off, purely because I've just never heard of anyone consistently catching them on lures.

Cheers,
Dan.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:08 AM
Mature Bream

First of all welcome to the forums mate. Secondly my friend used to live up that way so I will ask him what he used to do to get bream up there. I will send you a pm with whatever information I can get out of him. The greatest advice I think anyone can give you though is patience. Landing your first bream on a lure can take awhile and can be very frustrating but you have to persevere in order to get the goods. I will be sure to message you as soon as I can get some info out of my mate for you.
Cheers.
Old 14-04-2014, 04:54 AM
Poddy Bream

The bream in FNQ are Pikey Bream and have similar habits to southern bream but the average size is usually smaller. They are also called Black Bream but are different to the southern Black Bream. They will take small soft plastics and small artificial prawns but much prefer bait. I have never seen a 40cm Pikey Bream but they are supposed to grow to 50cm so you may get lucky.
Old 14-04-2014, 05:03 AM
Mature Bream

Small prongs and wrigglers i have never gotten one on a hb I seem to like more clear plastics.
Old 14-04-2014, 09:36 PM
Poddy Bream

Mhmm okay. I've got a few 2.5inch grubz in Greasy Prawn, Motor Oil and Watermelon seed on a range of different sinking weights. Will hit rock banks, pontoons and mud flats and see if any of these breambos fall victim to an artificial.
Old 14-04-2014, 09:44 PM
Mature Bream

Where abouts in fnq are you
Old 15-04-2014, 04:03 AM
Poddy Bream

Cairns - Trinity Beach .. Just went for a flick on a big estuary flat littered with yabbies and got zip. Ah well, wasn't completely expecting a hook-up.
Old 15-04-2014, 08:20 PM
Poddy Bream

I lived up on the Daintree for 7 years, there a plenty in there and also the creek down at Newell. You may be better off targeting the little drop offs on the edge of the mangroves.
Old 18-04-2014, 01:04 AM
Mature Bream

When I'm not chasing barra an jacks round hinchinbrook with my normal fishing partners. I fish with a few fly fishos who really only target pikeys and monster archers
Old 18-04-2014, 03:37 AM
Poddy Bream

Ah okay. Yeah I need to fish down that way sometime soon. I also throw a fly or two about for Jungle Perch and around the flats. So much selection! Also yahoo, what lb leader/tippet do you use?
Old 19-04-2014, 04:26 AM
Mature Bream

6 unknown brand (a friend gave it to me when i just started breamin) &10lb vanish (dont laugh it has served me well)

Landed barra up to 69cm on the 10lb jacks to 44cm on both sizes but when the jacks are hungry you can go through a lot of gear zzzzzzzzzzz ting bad words bad words
Old 25-04-2014, 04:38 AM
Poddy Bream

Damn. No luck at all on the soft plastic front. Going to downgrade leader weight and hope that brings them on to the chew. However am going to attempt to fish vibes. Anyone have any recommendations on weight, color and method? Thinking of a 1/8oz TT blade and just slow hops with the hope of not snagging up and losing them.
Old 26-04-2014, 06:10 AM
Poddy Bream

Bloody hell... I buy a Ghostblade, scent it up and use it around some pylons... third cast I watch a metre+ Chevron Barracuda come up swiftly behind it, eyeball it and just absolutely rail me around a pylon - nothing my 4lb could do about it. So switched back to the little 2.5" grubz and a huge barra came up, swallowed and proceeded to straighten the hook after a brief fight. I can't win - a 40cm+ Bream will just forever elude me it seems. :X
Old 26-04-2014, 09:18 AM
Mature Bream

Hahaha the joys of it man. I get the same here in tville when fishing our ross creek or the big jacks cime out an play mr badass
Old 26-04-2014, 07:34 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialkleen View Post
Bloody hell... I buy a Ghostblade, scent it up and use it around some pylons... third cast I watch a metre+ Chevron Barracuda come up swiftly behind it, eyeball it and just absolutely rail me around a pylon - nothing my 4lb could do about it. So switched back to the little 2.5" grubz and a huge barra came up, swallowed and proceeded to straighten the hook after a brief fight. I can't win - a 40cm+ Bream will just forever elude me it seems. :X
FNQ problems, haha. Down in Sydney our plastics get engulfed by discarded McDonald's bags