Go Back   Bream Master Forums > National SportFishing Scene > NSW Scene

Old 16-03-2013, 10:54 PM
Blue Lip

Hawkesbury ABT.

Couldnt wait for the Hawkesbury this year. it has to be one of the prettiest places iv seen in the country, yet, its so close to Syd and so populated and 45 boats can disapear!

Day one i was paired up with Wishy (what a crack up of a day!!) we went straight to the head land as he had got fish on his pre fish, i was happy with that. With in about 5 minutes we each had a fish in the well. I was using a 1/8 with a plastic and an Austackle Fireblade 1-3, casting hard up to the rocks giving the rod tip a downward flick and then letting it settle, pretty much did this all day, it ended up being a fish every 2 or 3 casts, i had my bag by about 9.15am and pretty much up graded it twice!! Wish got the hang of it and was soon bagged out and up grading. Things got quiet as the tide changed and the sun broke the clouds so i changed to the 1-3 Fireblade and a 1/16 and managed to hook what would be big bream 1.24, for all of about 20 min lol!!!
Ended up with 4.10kg and in first place, i had no thoughts of placing or even winning anything, i just wanted to have a fish and learn a few new things about the hawkesbury but, i was pretty happy with it

Day 2 i was paired with good friend Chris Wright, he had fished over Brissie waters for a small bag on day one. we devised a plan that night, come morning it went out the window and we really only decided on where to fish as we left the 8knot zone!!! Chris had a special set of racks up his sleeve he wanted to fish.
We hit the rocky points casting up and tight between the rocks and slow rolling hard bodies out. I managed to pull 2 out early which made me feel pretty good, i hooked those on a Spooky ayu Sakana, i was using the Austackle 1-3 Featherlight with Takida 4lb braid, 3lb leader and a Austackle Cruz PBI 1500 it casted perfect and in the spot everytime, Chris also got 4 along these stretches, i then cast the Sakana up tight between 2 rocks and got smacked about a metre out, had it on for about 12 seconds i think till the bream went nuts and took me back home and around a rock. Such is life.
We then hit Slicks racks up a creek, I didnt really bring ther rack gear so i just used an other Featherlight 2-5 with another Cruz 1500, 4lb Austackle braid and an 8lb leader, i used an 1/16 Austackle jig head and a plastic, cast along the trys and managed to get one out, i then got roasted on what i thought would be a winning fish!!
It was good to see the Way Slick fished these racks and i learned a few new tricks.

At the weigh in i only had the 3 for 1.53. i was a bit dissapointed but happy no matter where i finished, was stoked in the end with 4th and a GF spot.

Even if i had 5 there was no way anyone couldv beat Austackle team mate John Wrights 4.75 Day 2 bag to win the event and pretty much flog us all!!
Wrighty used an Austackle Sakana in Raw Prawn a Austackle Dominator 1-3 with a Cruz PBI 1500 4 Lb Austackle braid and a 6 lb leader.

It was a bit of a non boaters paradise and it only really was you against the fish, as you had loads of casting room.
All in all we had a great weekend the family came down too which was great fun, stoked to have a GF spot and stoked with an Austackle 1 and 4 in the NB's and very stoked the Wrighty and i were the only NB's with 4kg bags, its a testament to the gear we use!!. Looks like another good year of results coming for the Austackle Team!! We have a few new products on the way and a big personal thank you to Mike Cole and Austackle for his support.
Thanks for reading crew, i tried to make it as short as i could with out leaving the important stuff.

My little girl just loves to come along see the fish in the well and let them go!
Old 16-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Blue Lip

The Spooky Ayu proved it self very well.
Old 16-03-2013, 10:58 PM
Blue Lip

A couple from the 4.10kg bag on day one. its a pretty good day when your throwing back 33's by 11am!!
Old 16-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Blue Lip

Stupid look on my face, deerrrrr!!!!!!
I really didnt expect 4 kegs let alone to lead day one, my only plan for the weekend was to go with the flow of my boater and bring something back to weigh in!!
Old 16-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Blue Lip

Hawkesbury magic!
Old 16-03-2013, 11:10 PM
Big Bream

Take me there!

Looks like an awesome system Dan, and congratulations on the placings.

Pure Fishing

Follow my team page:

www.facebook.com/toddrichesfishing
Old 16-03-2013, 11:41 PM
Big Bream

Sounds like a cracka weekend I love the hawkesbury, so you fished day 1 out the front would have been pretty nice out there day one was the swell abit rough ?
The washes hold a lot of fish sounds like a lot of the top bags fished the washes
I bet you lost a lot of jigheads to snags it's pretty costly out there
pb snapper on plastic 58cm folk
Old 17-03-2013, 01:30 AM
Blue Lip

Great report Dan
And congrats to you and austackle team.
The washes produced well over the weekend
I had a mixed weekend.
Old 17-03-2013, 03:21 AM
Big Bream

Well done mate, nice report.
Old 17-03-2013, 03:57 AM
Mature Bream

good work good read
Old 17-03-2013, 04:06 AM
Poddy Bream

Nice work Dan and John, great story.
Old 17-03-2013, 04:17 AM
Big Bream

great report Dan, top effort mate
Old 17-03-2013, 07:51 AM
Blue Lip

Thanks guys, its nice to just put up some photos, its been a while.
Old 23-01-2014, 08:26 PM
Poddy Bream

its a an amazing system on the Hawkesbury, some nice pics there.

It's the one fishery that has it all. Big bream, kings, jews and in the upper reaches nice EP's and bass.

Living in Syd has made it much more accessible than when I used to live in Newcastle. I need to team up with my mate and get back into the tourno scene.
Old 23-01-2014, 10:02 PM
Blue Lip

Great report Dan.

Bring on the tournament season

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: