Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Lures > Jigs

Jigs Want to find out which jigs perform best, drop in here…
Gamakatsu, Slider, Ecogear, Nitro, Assassin...

Old 03-08-2006, 08:23 AM
Mature Bream

Waht Weight Would You FIsh???

Hi fellas im curious on what type of weight you would fish with around bridges and pylons!! or even an open area for bream!!!

what size jig head and weight and the brand!!!!!!

when conditions are flat!!!

i cant seem to find the right weight for me 1/22 i thin ive got and its still sinks too much for me

water fishing in at around 7 meters at the most

thanks guyz for the help
Old 03-08-2006, 08:38 AM
Blue Lip

That will entirely depend on the wind, the tide flow, and where the fish are sitting in the water column.

For any depth of flowing water, surface layers will flow fastest, and the slowest water will be nearest the bottom. This is most apparent in slightly deeper water, but the flow profile will change as the tide goes in or out. Fish will be close to structure and near the bottom in strong flow, and disperse as the flow decreases, both up and down the water coloumn, and out away from structure.

So you have to:
1) get the jig and placcy to fall at the right speed and with the right orientation

2) find the strike zone where fish are holding at particular stages of tide

3) try and keep a tight line while keeping the lure in the strike zone.

Too heavy and it gets right down very quickly, hitting bottom and keeping a taut line. Too light and you get swept away very fast. You'll already have worked this out. Wind complicates the issue, more by affecting your line control and casting distance.

Bottom line is no single size is the best allround. Always have a range of weights. Even in one spot it is possible to have to use a few sizes of heads in the same session just to keep the fish interested.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:40 AM
Blue Lip

A great weight is 1/16th i use this weight in most conditions but you may have to go heavier in faster currents but its basically your decision. As for brands i usually use Nitros and TTs.

Good luck in the future mate.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:52 AM
Blue Lip

dunno as i have never fished in 7ms of water but i would go a 1/32 in open water and a 1/16th around the pylons when the current isnt running but when itis i normally use a 1/12.

deacon

Jiggy Jigs
www.jiggyjigs.com

Rapid Fire Rods
rapidfirerods@internode.on.net

…some say he has acquired the taste for human meat won’t respond to covenantal baits only way to hook him is to use a Childs toe…..
Old 03-08-2006, 10:02 AM
Blue Lip

i would be fishing a Jiggyjigs jighead 1/32 in that case as the lure will be given a natural swimming pattern and can be drifted if there is a slight current. With sharp Owner hooks that the Jiggyjigs are made of and either a basic ball head jig or maby the bullet heads the fish cant get away.

i personally wouldnt use anything heavier than 1/32 for that but others may think differently.

HTH

Jiggyjigs - Gettin Jiggy With it
www.jiggyjigs.com

Quickboats - Unfold Your Freedom
www.quickboats.com
Old 03-08-2006, 10:20 AM
Fishing Tragic

Great add James

I use the theory, the lighter the better. If I can get away with it, I'll go down to a 1/40th TT HWS and then work from a 1/32nd head upwards. I believe the mighter the jig, the more natural the movement.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BreamOnFly/
----------------------------------------------
http://www.breammaster.com/images/bea001.jpg
Old 03-08-2006, 06:56 PM
Blue Lip

Give those squidgy resin heads a go too. Especially if you're using stick baits like Berkley Power minnows or gulp minnows.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:56 PM
Big Bream

all the bream anglers ive spoken to when fishing plastics and vibs around deep structure the fish tend to take the lure as it sinks, so in that case as bear said the lighter jig head you go, the longer it takes to sink , the longer you have a chance of catching a fish. 1/32 in gama round 211 it my personal favourite around yacht clubs. but on strong currents i would go down to a round 211 1/16. just watch you line and be ready to hit

cheers Dan

Proudly Associated with:

Pure Fishing
http://www.purefishing.com.au/

Berkley Soft Plastics
Old 03-08-2006, 10:18 PM
Mature Bream

It also pays to take note of the different weight and bouyancy of the different plastics you fish.
It wont make any noticable difference fishing heavy, but it will on the very light jigs.
Old 18-08-2006, 04:29 AM
Big Bream

I think most of you guys have forgotten a few things here. There are a few dependent factors involved when casting around bridges and pylons.

The big two being depth and current!

There is no answer to this question of what weight you use.

You require a good selection of jighead weights mainly from 1/4oz right thru to 1/20oz to cater for the changes in tidal flow and depth on the bridges and pylons that you fish.

Furthermore, it'll depend on what structure the bridges and pylons are on. If the bridges and pylons are surrounded for gravel patches, rocks, rubble, etc, then, more than likely the bream will be right at the bottom behind the eddies of the pylons to be out of the current as much as possible, so, depending on the depth and current you may need to go heavier.

The best position for the boat is to be against the current and you cast into the current and the plastic comes bak towards you. It's the same theory when fishing racks.

Fish to the conditions. Unfortunately there is not a simple answer, but you will work it out on the day. Just make sure you have a good selection of weights.

I always carry 1/40oz HWS and 1/28oz HWS then 1/20oz-1/4oz TT jigheads plus 3 homemade jigheads weighted at 1/32oz, 1/18oz, 1/10oz. Why? Cos, you're hunting the fish out. Not the fish come to you.
Member of the IFFF Fly Tying Group

Martin Luther King Jr (1963) said, "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but when he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

"Limit your catch....... Don't catch your Limit"
Old 18-08-2006, 04:35 AM
Big Bream

Typo correction.... most guys out there forget.

Martin Luther King Jr (1963) said, "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but when he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Old 18-08-2006, 04:51 AM
Banned

7 meters is pretty deep...Don't think I could wait for one gram to hit the bottom. I say 1/14 and heavier, for open water with current anyway. By the time a 1/32 would get close to the bottom those fish could probably be half a kilometer upstream. If you're using your depth sounder and know the fish are staying in one spot and there's very little current, by all means fish as light as you can.

Kamakazi has given you a pretty good run for bridge pylons.

Ryan.
Old 18-08-2006, 06:43 AM
Mature Bream

I use 1/8 for casting along dropoffs in 2-3 mtrs of water and have gone as light as 1/16th, main reason is if you have current or wind you will have trouble getting to depth with lighter heads, my best advice is forget the lol "finesse" factor and use what you have to use to get to and catch the fish.
81cm big ass tuna.
Old 18-08-2006, 07:09 AM
Big Bream

when you work out the fish biting pattern and especially the depth at which you're fishing, then you pretty reasonable can assume the jighead weight that you require to get the fish on the chew.

Finnesse fishing is still a requirement whether the current and wind play a little havoc or not.

For example, you can have a fairly strong current, and have found a school of fish at a particular depth and go 1/8oz, but then, it'll sink too fast out of the fish biting zone. You won't catch one. You may have to go lighter, fishing more "finnesse" and get the lure into the strike zone. That's the difference between knowing what to do when the fish are in this situation and just putting on a heavier jighead cos the current and wind is a bit up.

Bream are at most times fussy. They get picky and finicky with water flow, moon phases, depth of water, etc.

For example, down the Nerang River in Qld, the current can get a quite fast, where controlling the boat is a pain, especially when you're using up a lot of battery power doing so for a length of time. 1/12oz or 1/16oz could be considered too light fishing in these conditions, however, at times, in certain areas along pontoons and in the bridges, the fish may be feeding up the water thermocline column, and thus you wouldn't go heavier, otherwise, they'll not bother with it.

You have to find the feeding pattern. This is why SP fishing is a great sport. It's a thinking game. It's not just casting in with woteva and fishing........ this is angling.