Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Lures > Soft Plastics

Soft Plastics Nothing but jubes in here…
Ecogear, Sliders, Atomic, Gene Larew, Bream Master...

Old 26-11-2012, 09:34 PM
Fingerling

Using Zman Grubs

When puting the zman grubs on the jighead make sure that you push the plastic so far up the jighead that u hear a little air bubble pop. I find that this helps keep the plastic longer on the hook.
Old 26-11-2012, 09:55 PM
Big Bream

I think it may say on the pack to add a drop of super glue or on a Youtube clip Dizzy did to add super glue, carnt remember. Ive tried with and without. The glue option is good because you dont get your pants pulled down or loose your lure and if your real lucky the fish will come back for another chew. These are good plastics because they dont get as destroyed when you get a few lizards.

hope this helps
Old 26-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Fingerling

Smile

Yea im a big fan of these lure
Old 26-11-2012, 10:41 PM
Mature Bream

+1 for super glue. But I've also found you don't need it when using some hidden weight jigheads. Very hardy plastic - even survives the swarms of taylor.
Old 27-11-2012, 04:32 AM
Blue Lip

after they get pulled down the hook once they are very annoying and slide down the hook every time you cast them, especially if you skip cast. I use super glue on every one I put on. You only need a tiny bit of super glue.

The type of plastic they use means they are super durable and stretchy but it also makes them a bit harder to keep on a jig head perfectly.

I dont know about popping and bubble in them, I push any plastic on as far as it goes (and perfectly straight)

Yes I want a hamburger!!! god!!!
Old 27-11-2012, 05:06 AM
Blue Lip

spot on BobbyB
Surface 39cm and work in progress
H/B mully 83cm and not so bitter
S/P mully 85cm on 4lb FC
Old 27-11-2012, 05:33 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Bass View Post
after they get pulled down the hook once they are very annoying and slide down the hook every time you cast them, especially if you skip cast. I use super glue on every one I put on. You only need a tiny bit of super glue.

The type of plastic they use means they are super durable and stretchy but it also makes them a bit harder to keep on a jig head perfectly.

I dont know about popping and bubble in them, I push any plastic on as far as it goes (and perfectly straight)
thats the easy part, now teach me how to catch some bream on them
i read all the massive hype on the motoroil grubz and bought a pack the other day, I gave them a few swims but sadly no fish yet...

what weight jigheads does everyone use?
Old 27-11-2012, 06:30 AM
Blue Lip

1/20th is fine. these lures are more buoyant than the other plastics. Hidden weights are ok but I prefer to use them on slightly heavier weights so they sink to the bottom at a half decent rate. 1/40th on the 2.75" grubz is almost neutrally buoyant.

I chucked a Zman shrimp on a 1/40th hidden the other day, it floats but goes under when worked and twitches really nice. Perfect for really snaggy areas, I think the shrimp is a little big.

You do need to get the lure in the strike zone, I know a lot of people like to use light hidden weights but if it aint getting into the strike zone you are wasting your time fishing them where I have been fishing them.

I use squidgey 1.5 size 2 jigheads nearly all the time for these.

I just chuck them into any type of structure and get hit on the drop usually. I have had a few bream take them after a twitch or two. They will work anywhere, the bream in your area may take some preference to the colour but most of the colours are pretty good. Blood worm, Motor oil, Pumkin seed, watermellon are good. If you are land based just keep moving after every one or two casts.

I dont like all the hype but its better than talking about Cranka crabs all the time I guess.

Cheers
Chris

Last edited by Bobby Bass; 27-11-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old 27-11-2012, 06:34 AM
Big Bream

Mate it's horses for courses, I use 1/16th generally. It depends on a variety of things like run of the tide, depth of water etc.
Old 27-11-2012, 06:47 AM
Blue Lip

Yep thats right, Im fishing very little current. I get to the bottom easy with 1.5 gram squidgey jig head (25 feet of water) takes a little bit of time but its a good sink rate. on flats 1/20th or 1/22 size 2 will be fine too.

Old 28-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Blue Lip

Another tip is to keep them cool in your esky, I had 2 packs melt and I was left with bags of snot/liquid, they also eat other plastics, that was when keeping them in a fishing bag away from direct light on a 23deg day.
Old 28-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwater View Post
thats the easy part, now teach me how to catch some bream on them
i read all the massive hype on the motoroil grubz and bought a pack the other day, I gave them a few swims but sadly no fish yet...

what weight jigheads does everyone use?
I rig them very on about a 1/24. I just them sink to the bottom and then start imparting rod twitches. Keep them very short, 3cm at most. Dont even wind until you need to, just slow twitching works
Old 29-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbarboy View Post
I think it may say on the pack to add a drop of super glue or on a Youtube clip Dizzy did to add super glue, carnt remember. Ive tried with and without. The glue option is good because you dont get your pants pulled down or loose your lure and if your real lucky the fish will come back for another chew. These are good plastics because they dont get as destroyed when you get a few lizards.

hope this helps
you can still get pantsed with the super glue lol I had it happen with a monster miki the other day,but superglue is your best friend when it comes to plastics i have found,have not tried the z mans yet though
Old 29-11-2012, 07:42 PM
Blue Lip

i never use super glue and still works fine
Old 29-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Blue Lip

Just a tiny smear of super glue on the grub keeper section is all you need. I'll ise 1/20th to 1/12th oz depending on the depth I'm fishing and the wind I'm casting in.

I use HWS jigheads but Bobby is right.... Don't go any lighter than 1/28 if you want it to sink. 1/20th hidden weights work well. You don't need super glue on these but I use just a tiny amount so fish, or aggresive skip casts, don't pull it down at all.

As for action... Just like any other lure, mix up your retreives until you figure out the mood of the fish. Sometimes they'll only hit it being slowly pulled along the bottom, other times they'll ignore it unless it's shooting past their faces.

Colours.. Motor Oil is great but it's like the old red-head trolling lures. They have a good reputation because lots of people use them and therefore catch lots of fish on them. Bloodworm, Copper Penny and Watermelon are at least as good. Match the colour to the conditions. e.g. Watermelon with the red flecks is great in dirty water, Neon Pink does well in low light because it stands out, etc.