Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Leader

Leader What type, what weight, what length, etc.

Old 14-01-2003, 12:16 AM
Poddy Bream

Doubles for connecting leader

For christmas I received a copy of "How to catch Bream on Lures & Flies" - by Starlo & Bushy.

They both use "Doubles" (Bimini Twist or Plaiting) to attach a leader when spinning.

Do any of you guys do this to ensure a secure leader or do you think it is a bit over the top?

Doc
Old 14-01-2003, 12:32 AM
The Angry Administrator

I used to, and with that would come the occassional bust off. Now its just straight fireline to leader, no double..... Just a double Uni knot...... havn`t had one come apart on me since Albany.... Works a treat.....

Cheers

Richo
Old 14-01-2003, 12:39 AM
Big Bream

I use a short ( 2 inch or so) double tied with a Bimini Twist then tie my leader to that. Its easy to tie & gives me good knot strength. It may not be 100% necessary but I feel more confident using that set up.
Old 14-01-2003, 12:39 AM
Big Bream

I use a plait in the fireline and tie the leader to the doubled line (same as in the book). I think the extra thickness makes a difference to the fireline cutting through the mono. You're also effectively doubling the number of turns in the fireline side of the uni knot for no extra effort.

I've used plaits in all kinds of line catching everthing from sailfish to bream. I've never had one break at the (plait) knot. It always breaks somewhere else, or at the uni knot. The only downside about a plait is that it takes a while to tie.

James.
Old 14-01-2003, 12:57 AM
Blue Lip

I'm another with no double - leader straight to fireline hasnt failed for me yet.
Old 14-01-2003, 02:17 AM
Mature Bream

im a bimini fan amd will always use one but if you want a double that doesnt take as long to do as a bimini or a plait then try a spider hitch. very quick to tie but not as strong as the bimini or plait.

i used to use this before i learnt the bimini and never had it break but seriously with a bit of practice the bimini becomes second nature to you.
Old 14-01-2003, 03:51 AM
Poddy Bream

Thanks for all your opinions guys.

I suppose the main concern I have with the double is the time it would take to re-rig in the comps. Then again, with an extra spool already tied it could be an advantage.

How often do you guys find that you have these breakages at the leader knot anyway? In the Albany comp I had one go with what I felt was a pretty decent fish - may have been a soapie??

Doc
Old 14-01-2003, 03:56 AM
Big Bream

I very rarely have breakages at any knot when using a double and leader (8lb powerline). The only breakages have occured when my epix throws loops and they get into a big mess.

If all your knots are tied well, you should only have breakages if a fish takes you around a snag, or you pull too hard on a snagged lure. I can usually straighten hooks on bream lures before breaking the knots.

One tip I've picked up from the fly club about tying uni knots especially, is that if the knot grips and then jerks again as you are tightening it up, you should cut it off and retie as the line will have been damaged. The knot should tighten up smoothly.

James.
Old 14-01-2003, 04:00 AM
Web Master

Too Hard...

I've never used a double, but rather tie the leader straight to the Fireline with a double uni knot. I don't even double the Fireline over anymore to even up the diameters.

If you read the note at the end of the paragraph in Bushy's book, even he starts tying his leader on in this manner as he is finishing writing the book. I've only had one knot let go in 8 months, and this was an old leader I should have replaced long before. I landed a 60cm soapie at Albany using this knot, along with seven decent bream. I think this is a decent test for any rigging method.

It is much easier to re-tie on the go too.

Warren.

Old 14-01-2003, 04:08 AM
Your Friendly Moderator

I don't use a double - I just double over the Fireline before I tie it to the leader with an Albright, never had any probs (apart from using Vanish as the leader material.....).

You end up with an incredibly low profile unobtrusive knot, I wonder if a fish has ever rejected an offering because they saw the leader knot??

Cheers,

Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!

Team BreamMaster Member
Old 14-01-2003, 04:20 AM
The Angry Administrator

I agree with Warren,

I havn`t had one knot break at the join since doing the double uni with no double in the fireline. Havn`t had one breakage since I started using it the week before Albany. Before that was Spider hitch, which used to break every now and then.....

Cheers

Richo
Old 14-01-2003, 05:47 AM
Poddy Bream

I think I'll stick with the easy method.

Warren - Are you sure you're not just saying this to sell me more Powerline?
Old 15-01-2003, 09:43 AM
Big Bream

often the night before a fish i'll tie a bimini twist, usually because there is nothing good on telly.

i'll attach a leader with a double uni knot...if during the session i lose a leader and cant re-use the bimini, then i'll tie a twisted leader knot.

i like to try differant knot/rigs....knowledge is priceless
Old 15-01-2003, 10:31 AM

I prefer the plait as no stress is applied to the line, I've used the bimmini and had some failures at the point were the main line becomes the bimmini (Probably poor tying skills).I usually tie a double about half a metre long the add half a metre of leader, when this needs replacing I cut the leader close to the double (This keeps the double as a double) and re- tie using a double uni knot.
If I'm in a hurry I use a spider hitch to make a double.
I'd like to know how much time is saved by changing spools as opposed to retying a spider hitch and leader.
Old 22-01-2003, 07:09 PM
Big Bream

Interesting how theres always a few different schools of thought on this I think the most important thing is your own confidence in the method you use. If you aren't confident in your knot you may back of a little when a fish has you in trouble so you may blow the fish. For what its worth I have tried all the different methods you blokes have mentioned here & after making sure I tied the knots properly I gave them a rough test with some weights & then by hand & I honestly think there is not one method that stands out above the others. All performed well. So for my 2 bobs worth whatever one you can tie best is the one for you cause if nothing else you will be confident with it. I'll stick with my bimini twist & leader knot method cause I've been tieng them for 20 years & can nearly do it with my eyes shut & I know I can go hard & it will hold.