Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 06-11-2013, 10:05 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by I I Wish View Post
After seeing tbe ICAST 2013 videos. They have a nice range coming out for 2014.
I may have to wait till after Xmas and see if any sales come up on the overseas stores as the contender jacket is a 2013 release.

Won't really need the jacket till next winter anyhow! Just thinking ahead.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:01 AM
Mature Bream

I rate the Ridgeline stuff pretty highly. IMO the best value for $ waterproofs around. Their "Quietex" range is only about $100 each for pants and jacket.
Softshell, breathable, and I've never managed to get wet through mine, even when it rained almost solidly for 3 days @ Lake Barrington. If the pants had socks built into them you could use them as waders!
Old 07-11-2013, 03:37 AM
Big Bream

Try and buy those kinds of items when its summer over there, the savings are usually quite good.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:32 PM
Administrator

I have to admit that I have a wet weather gear habit and I just cannot help myself. I have been through a lot of different brands over the years ranging from cheap to expensive and most in between.

The biggest issue I have found with all goretex or breathable products is while they are new they are great (obviously) and do exactly what they say on the label. After a while and with a bit of heavy use they seem to fail rather rapidly. The issue seems to be either fish slime or salt water or possibly a combination of both. I start to get wet! My year old Simms jacket is no exception.

As Spork mentioned the Ridgeline stuff is some of the best value / quality gear I have come across. I have used their gear for hunting for many years and cannot fault it, they are now putting together some fishing clothing which at first glance is quite impressive.

The Dargo pants are the best winter fishing pants I have ever come across.

Check them out, you might be surprised.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:54 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sewell View Post
I have to admit that I have a wet weather gear habit and I just cannot help myself. I have been through a lot of different brands over the years ranging from cheap to expensive and most in between.

The biggest issue I have found with all goretex or breathable products is while they are new they are great (obviously) and do exactly what they say on the label. After a while and with a bit of heavy use they seem to fail rather rapidly. The issue seems to be either fish slime or salt water or possibly a combination of both. I start to get wet! My year old Simms jacket is no exception.

As Spork mentioned the Ridgeline stuff is some of the best value / quality gear I have come across. I have used their gear for hunting for many years and cannot fault it, they are now putting together some fishing clothing which at first glance is quite impressive.

The Dargo pants are the best winter fishing pants I have ever come across.

Check them out, you might be surprised.

Thanks Ian for the interesting info regarding Goretex products, because I did read there can be some up keep to have it performing for many years. I need something that’s no nonsense. The way things are going I'm going to need a couple different jackets for a couple different applications.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:07 PM
Administrator

I have done plenty of research on getting the most out of goretex and I must say that for what you pay the life is not as long as what you would expect especially under a lot of use. Which I have to admit mine do get. Keeping it clean is the best way to make it last. Any dirt should be washed off ASAP. Washing machine wash no soap and no soap residue, very important, No Soap.

Clothes dryer, warm to hot to dry and to rejuvenate the fabric. Sprays and washing machine additives have all been of little to no use and almost seem like they are mainly gimmick factor only.

It all works for a while, and then slowly but surely the fabric gets wet on the outside and the water just slowly seeps through the other leaving undercolthes wet to damp depending on how wet it is outside.

Do not get me wrong Goretex is amazing and I love the stuff, I just wish it had a longer life!