Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 26-05-2016, 10:15 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscateur View Post
Interesting read might have to try fabric softener. Is there instructions on its application?
I know you're only here for the pictures - so I've cut out the boring bits

The tests were done following the directions on the back of the bottle. I'm not sure what those directions are.

But dont buy it yet - I'll grab some and test it out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3378.jpg (88.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 3377.jpg (73.0 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 26-05-2016 at 10:19 PM.
Old 26-05-2016, 10:24 PM
Mature Bream

Larry you are certainly turning into a man for all seasons
Old 27-05-2016, 12:32 AM
Blue Lip

lol, thanks for the summation, Generally fabric softener is used in conjunction with washing powder, was just thinking whether they skipped that phase and just soaked in the fabric softener, but hey I don't do laundry so might have to leave this to the expert
Old 27-05-2016, 02:46 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscateur View Post
lol, thanks for the summation, Generally fabric softener is used in conjunction with washing powder, was just thinking whether they skipped that phase and just soaked in the fabric softener, but hey I don't do laundry so might have to leave this to the expert
Yeah the cynic in me took a second to think that Goretex might recommend against fabric softeners because they do the same thing as their sprays that cost 50 times more per treatment.

But I havent tried it yet - it could be useless.

But tell the missus the 800ml bottle is on sale at coles at the moment - 25% off I'm not going to put any washing powder in when I do it. I reckon I'll chuck some in a 10L bucket and swish it around a bit

Here's the directions - ( I couldnt find the concentrate but I got the non concentrate version of the one tested)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3375.jpg (135.0 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 27-05-2016 at 03:16 AM.
Old 27-05-2016, 03:37 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

heres the fabric softener directions
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3374.jpg (114.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 3373.jpg (83.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 27-05-2016, 03:41 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by royflatmate View Post
Larry you are certainly turning into a man for all seasons
I've been known to take a day off here and there but most of the time I'm flat out, taking care of business

Old 27-05-2016, 04:34 AM
Mature Bream

I have used the grangers products and they work well, was reading that putting the garment on low heat in the dryer can help re-activate the water proofing.

The other thing you should not do is use washing powder.
Dishwashing liquid doesn't strip the water proofing.

Last edited by bjspinner; 27-05-2016 at 04:37 AM.
Old 27-05-2016, 04:52 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjspinner View Post
I have used the grangers products and they work well, was reading that putting the garment on low heat in the dryer can help re-activate the water proofing.

The other thing you should not do is use washing powder.
Dishwashing liquid doesn't strip the water proofing.
Yeah I was surprised to see how much effect the washing machine had on its ability to repel - I'll keep the dishwashing liquid handy for my future jackets
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3368.jpg (52.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 27-05-2016, 05:56 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post

But dont buy it yet - I'll grab some and test it out
Well I learnt a few things - First was how to use the fabric softener dispenser in my washing machine - Second was how to remove all the filth that can clog up aforementioned dispenser.

But the real aim of the test was about waterproofing and the results were inconclusive. Applying the softener didnt hurt the jackets ability to shed water but I dont know how much it improved it either.

I was expecting the water to bead up and not soak in at all. I was hoping it would leave no trace on the jacket - this didnt happen.

Rubbing the water with my finger may not be the most realistic test of real life conditions - but I stuck my arm under the shower and the jacket was still "wetting out".

Next step will be the grangers or revivex - or what ever my local hiking store has on the shelves.

One positive out come from the test is my jacket used to smell like fish slime - now it smells like the air freshener they use in Heaven

(The vid isnt really worth watching - in fact I recommend against it - its unscientific, poorly shot and boring, Unless you like watching a guy rub a Goretex jacket in a dimly lit room - but the footage on cleaning out the Fabric softener dispenser may be of interest)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3295.jpg (177.3 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 02-06-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:31 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Well I finally got some Grangers Wash and repel.

There nothing scientific about my test but in my opinion - it works alot better than fabric softener.

It cost $34.95 at "Mountain Design" - $3 less if you sign up and give them your email address

Theres enough in the bottle to do your jacket and pants 3 times.

According to the independent lab tests - the "clean and proof" (I'm assuming "wash and repel" is the updated version) was the second longest lasting proofer they tried. Only beaten by the "Grangers XT spray"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3202.jpg (74.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3203.jpg (94.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 08-06-2016 at 06:37 AM.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:39 AM
Blue Lip

I have used "tire shine" on my boat cover. It defiantly seems to bead the water than it did without, will have to try it on my fake gortex jackets.

Australian Designed and Owned
Old 08-06-2016, 08:09 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeye View Post
I have used "tire shine" on my boat cover. It defiantly seems to bead the water than it did without, will have to try it on my fake gortex jackets.
Yeah I'm not qualified to give advice on that but I would be very interested to see the before and after photos

Having a jacket you can shake the rain off keeps it lighter but more importantly - evaporative cooling isnt such an issue.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:34 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Well I finally got some Grangers Wash and repel.

There nothing scientific about my test but in my opinion - it works alot better than fabric softener.

It cost $34.95 at "Mountain Design" - $3 less if you sign up and give them your email address

Theres enough in the bottle to do your jacket and pants 3 times.

According to the independent lab tests - the "clean and proof" (I'm assuming "wash and repel" is the updated version) was the second longest lasting proofer they tried. Only beaten by the "Grangers XT spray"
Have to get on to this stuff too Larry - after last week's tuna session, i'm afraid to go anywhere near my wet weather gear right now

Follow my fishing travels on Facebook
Old 08-06-2016, 07:16 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Have to get on to this stuff too Larry - after last week's tuna session, i'm afraid to go anywhere near my wet weather gear right now
Yeah unfortunately the Grangers product doesnt smell anywhere near as nice as the fabric softener - But I think its, almost neutral smell, is by design.

Hunters are very specific about how there clothes should smell - one of the first questions they ask about a product is whether or not it is scented.

Most of Grangers products recommend that your jacket is spotless before applying their water-proofer. Any trace of fish slime or dirt or even traces of laundry detergent should be removed from the jacket.

So maybe wash the blood and slime off your jacket first. All the gortex dudes say that dirt, slime and soapy residues cause the fibres of their jackets to lie down flat. This stops the water from beading and running off. The fibres need to be standing straight up or water will soak into the outer layer of the Jacket. Chucking your jacket in the dryer on the lowest heat setting after its been washed will bring the fibres back up but check the label to see if your jacket can handle the dryer.

But the dilemma is - every time you send your Jacket through the washing machine using laundry powder - it reduces the life of the water repellent.

So Ideally a jacket shouldnt even go through the washing machine. I know I'm going to take more care to not get mine so filthy. I might even just spot clean the filth of with a sponge. That might be tough if your hugging tuna though

So if you want a jacket that smells like Heaven - use the fabric softener - but if you want the water proofing - go with Grangers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3189.jpg (43.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 3187.jpg (31.5 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 08-06-2016 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:57 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Just another hot tip for your Jacket

I left mine on the train the other day, so I got a new one. I've only had the new one for a month and I left it down the river last night.

It was gone when I went back to check this morning.

But luckily I had written my phone number with permanent marker inside the jacket.

Long story short

I got my jacket back.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: