Go Back   Bream Master Forums > FishPhart > Tips and Hints

Tips and Hints Share Your Experience and Help Others Get That Dream Shot

Old 01-09-2011, 12:49 AM
Fingerling

Wink Whats Your SP Bream Technique?

Just curious what different ways you all entice Bream with? I'm struggling to catch them. I catch mainly Flathead, Pike and Squire with the odd small Jew.

Tried all sorts of stuff but think its time I asked you guys.

1. What SP's works for you
2. Leader
3. Retrieval technique
4. Jig Sizes
5. Rod
6. Reel

Any help appreciated

Cheers
Old 01-09-2011, 12:57 AM
Blue Lip

Hey mate, what sort of country you fishing.
My general purpose rig would be... 4lb leader, 1/20 number 2 hook jighead. Gulp minnow, gulp shrimp, squidgy flick bait, power minnow, bug ant, etc..
Double flick on slack line. Always watching and feeling for ticks/bites. LOvation and tides play a large part IMHO. There are a few threads on this of you search through.
Hope some of this helps you.
Cheers stealth
Old 01-09-2011, 01:16 AM
Blue Lip

Try using 2-4lb flurocarbon line and the lightest possible jig head you can get away with.
When fishing in really clear water it can help to downsize your gear, and fishing as light as possible.
Try using natural coloured minnows and grubs, around 2-3 inches.
I've had lots of success with simply hopping the lure off the bottom,winding in the slack and allowing it to flutter back down again. Also try letting the lure sink to the bottom and simply winding as slow as you can, occasionally twitching your rod tip.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:51 AM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
Hey mate, what sort of country you fishing.
My general purpose rig would be... 4lb leader, 1/20 number 2 hook jighead. Gulp minnow, gulp shrimp, squidgy flick bait, power minnow, bug ant, etc..
Double flick on slack line. Always watching and feeling for ticks/bites. LOvation and tides play a large part IMHO. There are a few threads on this of you search through.
Hope some of this helps you.
Cheers stealth
Ive been fishing around manly harbour. Hardly even see any Bream in there. Im sure they have got to be though. Plenty of structure etc

I find it tough to get a fish of a weekend so ive been going before work in the mornings and Manly Harbour(brissie) has been as comfortable as one could hope for on cold mornings around 5am.

Ill have to give 4lb leader ago. Scares me a bit because of those damn pike busting me off and draining my wallet!!
Old 01-09-2011, 01:54 AM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella fella View Post
Try using 2-4lb flurocarbon line and the lightest possible jig head you can get away with.
When fishing in really clear water it can help to downsize your gear, and fishing as light as possible.
I've had lots of success with simply hopping the lure off the bottom,winding in the slack and allowing it to flutter back down again. Also try letting the lure sink to the bottom and simply winding as slow as you can, occasionally twitching your rod tip.
Is fishing light jig heads pretty much law when it comes to bream? Just curious on the thoughts a Bream has when he sees an SP float down and what it does when he goes over and picks at it?
Old 01-09-2011, 02:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella fella View Post
Good advice,

The other thing i would add is to simply persist and try to have as much confidence as you can in the lure's your using. Go get some wrigglers they cost next to nothing and are still one of the best plastics around and easy to use. Go lightest jig head you can get away with in the conditions. You want to get the plastic fluttering down slowly and not just dropping straight to the bottom. A lot of takes will be while your plastic is on the drop so watch your line very closely, this is important because you wont always feel takes and sometimes by the time you have felt a take it will be too late as they have already spat the lure. As soon as you see the slightest tick in the line strike. Differing opinions on striking some just like to let the bream take the plastic and they will at times especially the bigger fish but it is always a good idea to strike at anything you think may be a fish (Without spooking others) tricky sometimes. A lot of people use 4lb leader sometimes 2lb in the shallows but you will probably get away with 6lb depending where you are fishing and the clarity of the water. I usually go 6lb general now and go up for the snags and down for shallows.

Hope this helps somewhat.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:14 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCrusader View Post
Ive been fishing around manly harbour. Hardly even see any Bream in there. Im sure they have got to be though. Plenty of structure etc

I find it tough to get a fish of a weekend so ive been going before work in the mornings and Manly Harbour(brissie) has been as comfortable as one could hope for on cold mornings around 5am.

Ill have to give 4lb leader ago. Scares me a bit because of those damn pike busting me off and draining my wallet!!
Manly Harbour is deffinatly not the easiest place to catch bream haha. I've had many a breamless session wandering around in there. Especially if you're land based I'd be heading towards raby bay and aquatic paradise. Far easier places to catch a bream than the harbour
Old 01-09-2011, 02:16 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Is fishing light jig heads pretty much law when it comes to bream? Just curious on the thoughts a Bream has when he sees an SP float down and what it does when he goes over and picks at it?
Pretty much mate. You basically want to present the lure so that it appears as natural as possible. However I have caught the odd bream in 10lb line with a 1/4 ounce jighead while chasing flathead, but catches like that tend to be few and far between.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:21 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breamobsession View Post
Good advice,

The other thing i would add is to simply persist and try to have as much confidence as you can in the lure's your using. .
+1.. quality advice!.. im sure a majority of blokes on here will tell you (me included), your first bream seems like it takes hours of fruitless fishing before you snag him, but once you get that elusive first, the rest will come more frequently...

These blokes above have given top info, so im not going to bother writing basically the same thing... I would just say though, you said that you have barely seen a bream around your haunts; maybe that could be why your not catching them??? Ive seen spots that have beautiful structure, but dont hold bream, and i put it down to the fact that structure is only one variable amongst others that decide where bream will be... I may be wrong, but this has been my experience... try and talk to some local, experienced bream fishos (local tackle stores) and find out the goss on spots...

cheers
Old 01-09-2011, 02:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgy96 View Post
I think I may of been lucky with my first ever lure caught fish. Walked out on jetty (first time lure fishing), 4000 sized reel and fibreglass rod in hand, 30lb Platypus mono straight through tied directly onto a big ugly brass snap swivel. Clipped on a no name softie rigged on a 15 gram both bought from k-mart. First cast, first lure caught fish. Took the lure off the bottom totally deadsticked. In comes a 1kg bream that put up an epic battle on my 15kg gear haha
Haha, I'm sure there was no luck involved:rolleyes. Must have been one stupid 1kg Bream, you would think at that size it would have been just a tad smarter.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:52 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy91 View Post
+1.. quality advice!.. im sure a majority of blokes on here will tell you (me included), your first bream seems like it takes hours of fruitless fishing before you snag him, but once you get that elusive first, the rest will come more frequently...

These blokes above have given top info, so im not going to bother writing basically the same thing... I would just say though, you said that you have barely seen a bream around your haunts; maybe that could be why your not catching them??? Ive seen spots that have beautiful structure, but dont hold bream, and i put it down to the fact that structure is only one variable amongst others that decide where bream will be... I may be wrong, but this has been my experience... try and talk to some local, experienced bream fishos (local tackle stores) and find out the goss on spots...

cheers
Glad you brought up structure mate, I forgot to mention it!
Low light conditions (early morning, late afternoon) is when bream are most likely to be feeding, this is when you're more likely to find them hunting around weed beds, pylons, rocks and basically anywhere there is food. In this situation the trick is not to just flick your plastic at any given pile of rocks and hope for the best, but to look for areas where the structure may disrupt the current (such as points and rockwalls) as the current will carry food, and create eddys in which the bream like to wait in ambush. During the lighter hours of the day target structure in which bream are most likely to hide (weed and cockle beds, boat hulls, jetties,snags etc) and again look for eddys, and particularly shaded areas.

Good luck mate
Old 01-09-2011, 05:59 AM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargeass View Post
Manly Harbour is deffinatly not the easiest place to catch bream haha. I've had many a breamless session wandering around in there. Especially if you're land based I'd be heading towards raby bay and aquatic paradise. Far easier places to catch a bream than the harbour
Cheers Mate, I think ive worked that out now. The Pike probably beat the bream to it
Old 01-09-2011, 06:03 AM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breamobsession View Post
Good advice,

The other thing i would add is to simply persist and try to have as much confidence as you can in the lure's your using. Go get some wrigglers they cost next to nothing and are still one of the best plastics around and easy to use. Go lightest jig head you can get away with in the conditions. You want to get the plastic fluttering down slowly and not just dropping straight to the bottom. A lot of takes will be while your plastic is on the drop so watch your line very closely, this is important because you wont always feel takes and sometimes by the time you have felt a take it will be too late as they have already spat the lure. As soon as you see the slightest tick in the line strike. Differing opinions on striking some just like to let the bream take the plastic and they will at times especially the bigger fish but it is always a good idea to strike at anything you think may be a fish (Without spooking others) tricky sometimes. A lot of people use 4lb leader sometimes 2lb in the shallows but you will probably get away with 6lb depending where you are fishing and the clarity of the water. I usually go 6lb general now and go up for the snags and down for shallows.

Hope this helps somewhat.
It does help mate, what sort of 'Strike' does a Bream actually have. Beside just grabbing it as soon as it hits the water(my only experience catching Bream)

Maybe im missing potential hook ups???
Old 01-09-2011, 06:09 AM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy91 View Post

cheers
Each day fishing with these SP's I learn a micron more. Where I fish I am pretty sure there are Bream because they hit bread off the top of the water occasionally. Its got probably a couple of thousand boats with rocks and pontoons everywhere. I might be just not good enough to entice these crafty creatures yet. Will plug along till it clicks

Cheers
Old 01-09-2011, 06:09 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
hey mate,

i used to always fish the lightest absolute jig heads all the time. The fact is this is not always possible ( wind, tide, current etc). Lately, I have been using heavier jig heads ( going from something like a 1/24th to a 1/12, or a 1/16th to a 1/8th, and just changing my technique from something like a double hop and pause, to constant twitches near the bottom, and have found this is more effective. It also means I get down to the fish quicker and can cast further, thus covering more ground.

So definitely fish light, but dont be afraid to go heavier, just change your technique accordingly and make sure its appropriate for where you are fishing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: