Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Lures > Hard Bodies

Hard Bodies Diving minnows are the name of the game here…
Attack, Halco, Oargee, Tilsan. Rebel…

Old 30-10-2015, 08:43 AM
Mature Bream

berkley Top dog hooch and Scumdog are 2 favs that do plenty of damage
Old 25-11-2015, 04:40 PM
Blue Lip

Really anything that floats, walks or pops will get you a whiting. My personal favourites would be the berkley top tog in hooch and the pink one. You can't go wrong with them. Close second is a bassday sugarpen or ecogear px. Also don't discount a gladiator kozami! Cast like a bullet and walk with ease, caught a lot of fish on it, you just need to upgrade the hooks. As for poppers I haven't had too much luck on them myself but Austackle do a nice one, storm gomoku poppers, along with a few more options.

Another suggestion is a stick minnow that sinks, good technique because you can still walk them and then let them sink...and it can drive a few fish crazy if you perfect it. Good luck and good fishing.
Old 25-11-2015, 05:37 PM
Blue Lip

No size to the whithing around my place but the Duo PocoPoco F get my vote. I've been casting everything from Ecogears, Atomics and Halco Mini Roosters and the Duo just keeps going!
20151123_105121A.jpg

That clear colour with the holographic shiny sides in picture above.

Last edited by Slazmo; 26-11-2015 at 07:32 PM.
Old 26-11-2015, 06:05 AM
Mature Bream

Stiffy Popper is good if you can find them, prowler is my fave colour. Also caught a few on a subapen in orange.
Old 26-11-2015, 07:39 PM
Blue Lip

I like these- just need a day on the water to fish them
Old 26-11-2015, 07:46 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Y View Post
I like these- just need a day on the water to fish them
Great respect for guys that tie quality flies like these!!! Now I need some time and patience to tie some stingers for my poppers...
Old 27-12-2015, 10:04 PM
Poddy Bream

Bassday Sugarpen 70F

Amazing lure whiting absolutely love them and don't be surprised if you get some very solid bream aswell and even some tailor. You can use these lures on the flats and weed beds for whiting aswell as deeper water and structure for bream.
The best colour is the white body with the pink head I can't remember it's name.
Old 27-02-2018, 02:06 AM
Fingerling

An old post but a goodie. As I have just got into surface lures for whiting. Just wondered if people had any updates to the great info that is already in here.

I have had some success with the Sugapen, but recently I have been using the Diawa equivalent, Silver Wolf Slippery Dog. The purple suji prawn colour has orange on top and it gets hit more often than the Pen. There are nipper holes all around where I fish and I wonder if the whiting mistake the lure for those.

Thanks Jeff
Old 27-02-2018, 03:20 AM
Big Bream

The duo poco poco has outperformed all the surface lures I have tried using when targeting whiting. I change the trebles out that they come with (they are truly rubbish) and put on decoy ys25 in size 12. Heres a little video I put together of some of the whiting/bream strikes from last summer. Nearly all with the duo poco poco (one with the gold head). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG4w9rFdEgU&t=30s
Old 27-02-2018, 06:07 AM
Blue Lip

looks like it casts a fair way as well,i've been using the Saku because of the casting distance.
cheers nereus
Surface 39cm and work in progress
H/B mully 83cm and not so bitter
S/P mully 85cm on 4lb FC
Old 27-02-2018, 08:44 AM
Fingerling

Thanks for sharing the awesome vid DrLuvski. It was like a training video for me.
Old 27-02-2018, 05:59 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingJunkie View Post
An old post but a goodie. As I have just got into surface lures for whiting. Just wondered if people had any updates to the great info that is already in here.

I have had some success with the Sugapen, but recently I have been using the Diawa equivalent, Silver Wolf Slippery Dog. The purple suji prawn colour has orange on top and it gets hit more often than the Pen. There are nipper holes all around where I fish and I wonder if the whiting mistake the lure for those.

Thanks Jeff
ive also only just started surface fishing.
But i agree about the slippery dog, they really walk the dog well and nice and easy to do it as well
the ecogear px45 or px55 is also a great lure.
ive changed my back hooks on the slippery dog to the ecogear zx stingers havent tried it out yet to see if it actually is better in hookup than std trebles.
Old 27-02-2018, 07:11 PM
Fingerling

Let me know how you go with those stinger hooks Purple5ive as I'm also thinking of changing them. I live a fair way from estuaries so won't get out as regularly as I would like.

It would be great to hear if anyone does any inshore fishing from the beach with surface lures and what types/methods they use.
Old 27-02-2018, 09:20 PM
Mature Bream

Awesome video DrLuvski! That rhythmic popping action always works a treat!

I've found with whiting on surface that its difficult to go too big! As long as you change the hooks, either Decoy y25's or assist hooks. I've caught whiting on 9cm stick baits and Loco Perrito's which are a very broad thick pencil lure. I think this largely goes for times when the wind is chopping up the surface and you need some water pushed around to get the fish' attention as my usually spots get some serious wind. Might be different on glass still mornings and evening.

Cheers,
Duncan.
Old 28-02-2018, 02:12 AM
Big Bream

Thanks fatbream and fishingjunkie. Yep, when they are on the bite whiting will go for most surface lures. I've tried out the decoy stingers in the atomic pop 50 and also the sugapen. They are super sharp and once hooked up its difficult to lose a fish. This whiting talk is making me desperate to get out and catch a few. We've had so much rain on the Sunshine coast the rivers are very brown. Might take a couple of weeks to clear out before I can get the poppers out.

The pirtek challenge is on later next month with whiting up as a target species in QLD. Hopefully the rivers have a bit more clarity by then.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: