Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Leader

Leader What type, what weight, what length, etc.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.50 average. Display Modes
Old 17-01-2015, 08:45 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbin157 View Post
I like most have watched and attempted the FG knot from these Youtube vids which has most of the time ended in a tangled mess on the floor and a loss of blood circulation to the extremities
Personally I like the knotting tool idea, so due to not necessarily being a tight arse but more so not being able to sit still when something is coming to me in the mail (which is usually 2 weeks minimum too WA ) I decided to make my own EZ Knotter and the finished product is surprisingly quite effective .
Parts were 3 bolts,4 nuts,6 rubber grommets and a wire coat hanger plus this Youtube clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWpWiCSSgek
Brillant
Old 05-05-2015, 08:48 AM
Mature Bream

I have just been learning this knot after tying the slim beauty for a few years. The video and method I found most helpful to me is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjzUb5QRKuk
Old 05-05-2015, 09:12 AM
Dead Set Legend

Finishing

Interesting comment in the blog at the end of the Nomad Fishing video from the link in Nimbin's post.

"..I know that there's a fair few ways to tie this knot, all resulting in the same thing but I noticed someone finishing it in a slightly different way. Instead of the last few half hitches just going along the mainline and cutting the leader, the leader was sliced with a long tapered end and the half hitches just went along both the leader and mainline with the leader gradually getting thinner until the leader was fully covered and a few more half hitches went on just the mainline to finish off.
This looked like a good way to finish it when you would winding the knot back through the guides. It made a very smooth transition and there was no sudden end or lump at the leader end..."

Probably not necessary in thin stuff, but maybe worthwhile in thicker leaders, if you can be bothered
Old 12-05-2015, 04:51 AM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by beans07 View Post
I have just been learning this knot after tying the slim beauty for a few years. The video and method I found most helpful to me is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjzUb5QRKuk
That's the vid I learnt it off. Found it very easy to tie and had no probs with FC Rock 6lb Fluro to 10lb braid.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:07 AM
Big Bream

Has anyone had problems with the half hitches unravelling?

I have finally got the hang of tying the knot, but for some reason every time I go fishing, some of the half hitches unravel

This doesn't seem to affect the strength of the knot, but it does make it a bit bulkier with a bit of a tag end, which sort of defeats the purpose.

Pure Fishing

Follow my team page:

www.facebook.com/toddrichesfishing
Old 12-05-2015, 07:21 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthedrop86 View Post
Has anyone had problems with the half hitches unravelling?

I have finally got the hang of tying the knot, but for some reason every time I go fishing, some of the half hitches unravel

This doesn't seem to affect the strength of the knot, but it does make it a bit bulkier with a bit of a tag end, which sort of defeats the purpose.
How do you finish off the last half hitch?

Double through the loop and then do another one is the way I do it, probably overboard but just to be sure.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:35 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjspinner View Post
How do you finish off the last half hitch?

Double through the loop and then do another one is the way I do it, probably overboard but just to be sure.
Does that mean you just go through the loop twice on your half hitch? I only go through once, might have to give that a go!

Pure Fishing

Follow my team page:

Old 12-05-2015, 07:54 AM
Poddy Bream

i finish it of with about 6 alternating half hitches, seems to go well, just make sure they are tight
Old 12-05-2015, 08:10 AM
Mature Bream

I lock with two grannies then cover the entire knot in UV Knot Sense and wait a few minutes for the glue to get absorbed between the fibers of the braid before hitting it with the UV torch. It seems massively excessive (and probably is) but if I get snagged on owner ST-11's, i can generally bend the hooks and get the lure back. When using Owner ST-36's, the line generally breaks at the lure, leaving me an almost full length leader to work with. I tie them at around 4 metres of leader and re-tie when it is less than 1 metre. This generally does me several trips.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:14 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthedrop86 View Post
Does that mean you just go through the loop twice on your half hitch? I only go through once, might have to give that a go!

That's right keeps the knot tighter.

Do this on the last half hitch is what's recommended, I do it on the last two alternating half hitches.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:43 AM
Big Bream

Quote:

Do this on the last half hitch is what's recommended, I do it on the last two alternating half hitches.
Sweet as mate I'll give that a go!! It makes sense. Cheers!

Pure Fishing

Follow my team page:

Old 12-05-2015, 11:08 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:

I do this as well, plus when I cut the braid I general leave about 1mm of tag on the braid doesn't affect the knot going through the guides and this appears to stop the first couple of hitches unravelling. Note I don't use fused braid, and therefore dunno whether the stiffer fused braid tag would a problem.
Old 13-05-2015, 04:18 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

In my experience, the hitches come undone more easily with fireline than sunline super pe - but I do granny knots on both just to be sure
Old 13-05-2015, 04:35 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsquid View Post
i finish it of with about 6 alternating half hitches, seems to go well, just make sure they are tight
This is the best way I think. The alternating half hitches seem to synch down and don't come undone. Passing the tag end through each hitch twice is good but ultimately you want at least 4-5 half hitches alternating and then pulled tight back into the knot.
Old 13-05-2015, 05:23 PM
Blue Lip

I always finish my FG's with a 3 turn hitch, trim the tag about 1mm and they never come undone.
I've had one on a set up I use for chucking metals off the beach for over 2 months and its still as good as the day I tied it.