Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 01:39 AM
Blue Lip

I wonder if the large feral cats have mated with the cougars/panthers ?

I was reading the hotbite link before and it says a few could have been brought from India in the trading days.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:56 AM
Mature Bream

i'm not interested in convincing anybody and don't care what crew think.

you'd need a lot more than a few posts on this thread to persuade anyone otherwise. you'd have to be a pretty simple minded person to suddenly believe in big cats just based on my couple posts, or reading about Dowellys encounter, that's for sure.

never had anyone put a credible dent in the theory either. the usual response of "why hasn't one been shot/photographed" is easily accounted for if informed about cougars in the Americas. no American pig doggers have ever busted a cougar!

i have personally spoken to a couple dozen people (not housewives but farmers, rangers, shooters, fishers) in last decade that have had a Dowelly style encounter, including a couple very close friends. have received many many other reports without personally meeting the person. i have seen the scats, spoor, trees, kills etc myself. cougar biologists and hunters from USA have visited here and seen the evidence and agree we have 'em. blah blah - all these things over the years have convinced me. this isn't a subject i've just homed in on yesterday and there's enough evidence out there from WA to compile a massive book.

i do a lotta deer and pig hunting in WA bush and although probability sez i'll never get a glimpse of a big cat in my lifetime, i alwys have 'em in the back of my mind when out bush.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:31 AM
Blue Lip

Alright,alrightyou win ... l still dont believe it .... Told ya we could go on and on...
Old 05-02-2010, 07:59 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Best proof of big cats I ever heard was from a mate.

He reckons his other mate stopped answering his phone for about a week. So they made the 200 km trek out to his property to see if he was alright.

When they got to his property he wasnt there. They checked a few of the sites they used to camp on the property and didnt find any sign of him.

Then they started criss-crossing the more heavily vegitated parts of the property, with the stereo cranked, beeping the horn, hoping he would hear and come out to say hello.

It worked pretty quick and the missing mate came tearing up the hill on his Quad bike. He was spewing they were making so much noise.

When he took them across to the gully where he had set his trap, their first thoughts were to take the piss but after seeing the amount of work that had gone into his set up they thought better of it.

This bloke had welded together a cage 15ft long - very simmilar to a possum trap but much bigger. With an onion sack full of rabbits hanging from the hook that trips the trap.

This was a working man who had taken a significant amount of time to build a trap.

Whether a big cat was there or not is still a mystery - but I have absolutely no doubt that this particular bloke reckons he saw one.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:08 AM
Blue Lip

I smell a BM (BigcatMaster) social coming on
Old 05-02-2010, 08:23 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnowMan View Post
I smell a BM (BigcatMaster) social coming on
All I need is a case of Newtons Cider (Dry) and a spotter - I'll take care of the rest
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p l53.jpg (38.0 KB, 398 views)
Old 05-02-2010, 09:36 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Word on the street is - a farmer said he saw one to government department - they said they will need dna proof - he provided the hair sample found next to a scratch site - tests results came back as a domestic cat.

The same farmer sourced some hair from a live cougar and sent that into the same department for testing - the lab results said that was a domestic cat aswell.

I'm paraphrasing and have not confirmed the story - and Im probably doing more harm to the debate than good.

But if you had never seen a fox run through Melbourne city streets after dark - you might have trouble believing they were there.

I'm a firm believer in the fact that some people tell lies - some people exaggerate - and other dudes dont do either.

All I know is - you dont spend 2 days spot welding a 15 ft cage and not tell anyone about it on a hunch
Old 05-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnowMan View Post
I guess all you can really do is keep an open mind.. but one thing's for sure, THE MOTHMAN IS VERY REAL!!
The Mothman or someone on his way home from a group bondage session??

Old 07-02-2010, 11:11 PM
Mature Bream

if cougars are what these things are yellow door 1, then your mate was wasting his time.

you can't trap a cougar. no American cougar has ever walked into a trap like the one you describe.

it's frustrating, because one trained set of cougar hounds (very hard to train and impossible without scent) let loose in Oz could quickly end the mystery, one way or another.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:05 AM
Mature Bream

Here's a photo taken about 30 sec before the sighting and one taken about 5 seconds after it disappeared up the rock wall...

It was large!

Oh and a fish...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1539.jpg (133.3 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1547.jpg (123.2 KB, 317 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1449.jpg (88.2 KB, 315 views)
Old 08-02-2010, 01:18 AM
Blue Lip

Wicked colours on that bream

Michael.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:56 AM
Mature Bream

you were there as well then Dawson - i didn't realise you two were on a boat.

Quentin (kurt blanksby's mate and well known fisho) had a little electric outboard up an arm of the Harvey Dam at dawn 3 years ago. thing was kipping behind a log and as he got within 50m of shore it bobbed up, ran across a clearing and up into the bush. he packed himself, despite being on a tinny, such was it's size. about the time (going by it's speed) it would've reached the top of the hill behind, a mob of roos flew outta the bush and across a paddock on the hilltop. he's never been the same since - bush is different now. certainly a boat gives a stealthy approach.

will give Dowelly a call (gestapo interrogation) tonight now i finally have a free minute.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:44 AM
Poddy Bream

i'd read the hotbite topic on this ages ago (and religiously i might add). once i started reading i was slightly sceptical, but by the end of it i was convinced for sure that there is/are cougars out there. i'd more than encourage non believers to have a read of the thread on hotbite and see if it changes your opinion.

wasn't there some extensive expedition in china recently to uncover new species/animals where they found around 100 new species? not saying conditions are similar but it just goes to show that there is a lot in this world that we dont know about yet or can explain. i know the rule is innocent until proven guilty (or fake until proven real in this case), but i'm convinced there are cougars in the southwest.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:03 AM
Banned

good story dowell

i have seen a cat of the same description and i wont be forgetting it anytime soon. the next day we (i and another member of the site) found tracks that matched to what i had seen the previous night only it was in a different location roughly 20kms away so definately of another animal of the same category. foot prints in damp soil much bigger than any dog could stamp.
no claw prints evident, just the pads of the feet. brings a new element to exploring new waterways. note the tracks continued for several yds before they kinda like descended back into the scrub until we couldnt find any more.

thats lake tyers for ya

exciting stuff would love to see another one, always on the look out.

Last edited by Conehead; 08-02-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Big Bream

A few years back I saw some big paw prints, biggest I have seen from any native animal, dog or cat up near the south para reservoir here in SA. Never thought too much of it. And growing up on a 100 acre property as a young lad you got too know what footprints where for what kind of animal. Couldnt pick this one though

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: