Go Back   Bream Master Forums > National SportFishing Scene > WA Bream Classics

Old 04-10-2015, 07:03 AM
Administrator

Getaway Outdoors Kayak Series 2015 Grand Final Results

With 30 of WA's best kayak anglers prepped and raring to go the 2015 Getaway Outdoors WA Kayak Bream Grand Final launched at the upriver start location of Point Reserve in the Town of Bassendean.

Anglers were greeted with thick fog that would clear early and a breeze that would strengthen over the day. With a dropping tide and overcast conditions, rumours were that any bag of three bream could get you right amongst the top ten. Those rumours were soon replaced with fuel for the day of bacon and egg rolls and a hot coffee, add to this a packet a Grannies lamingtons and a lunch pack, there would be no excuses for coming back early.

Making it two wins on the trot (and definitely with his mojo well and truly back after also taking out Round 5) was Alex Griesdorf weighing in three bream for 1.920kg. Having never fished the upriver location Alex made the charge all the way down to Maylands and Belmont to compile his bag, and when asked how his day went Alex replied:

“I really haven’t fished this far up the river before so my only real option was to head the downstream to Maylands and Belmont where I have caught fish before.

I started off near the bamboos throwing my usual ZMan grubs in the bloodworm colour, I had a few bites early which I managed to convert, and had my bag by roughly 8:30am, as the wind was picking up I just increased the weight of the TT jig heads I was using until I was fishing 1/12th. It was Important to keep increasing the jig weight when I was losing contact with the bottom, and that was crucial to get the bites I did.

It was pretty slow from then onwards and I picked up one upgrade for the rest of the day. I was lucky the expected wind change came in and gave me a helping hand heading back upstream to the weigh-in”.

When asked if he had any sponsors to thank Alex replied, “first off I have to thank ZMan and TT Lures for the awesome soft plastics and jig heads they provide me with, they work a treat in W.A and are super consistent, whether it is fishing slow or firing it is always my first plastic of choice. Thanks to Matt from Getaway Outdoors for sponsoring my entries and also being such a huge supporter of the series. Bluewater Tackle and Lowrance for the great support they give me and also Daiwa for sorting out all my rods, reels and line over the last few seasons.

Then of course all the anglers that have fished the 2015 season, it really has been a fantastic series and I hope you are all back for more in 2016, and last but not least thanks to the WAFM guys for putting on a great series”.

In second place and no stranger to weighing in a full bag was Jesse Choy hitting the weigh master with three bream for 1.805kg, Jesse has only missed the top ten once all season so to claim 2nd place in the Grand Final was certainly no surprise to most. When asked how his day went Jesse replied:

“The plan was to head upstream and target some of the nice snags around the area, I was a little disappointed with two just size bream to show for the first four hours of casting. These both came on a watermelon grub, although not huge it gave me a little confidence that there was fish in the area. As the wind picked up I went from 1/20th to 1/16th to 1/12th on my plastics combo. But it wasn’t until I made the change to my fluorocarbon outfit and 1st cast on a Pontoon 21 Greedy Guts 55 in a customised CB Fauna colour I came up tight to my first decent keeper. I then followed this with two upgrades on the Greedy Guts 55. Then in the last 20 minutes, I nailed my best upgrade for the day, again it came on my fluorocarbon outfit and a greedy guts in CB Natural Brown. So to finish off in second place is awesome and I can’t wait to go one better in 2016”.

When asked if he had any sponsors to thank Jesse replied “Rob from Searing Tackle has been fantastic, they have Pontoon 21 and Damiki in the stable, and the Pontoon 21 Greedy Guts 55 turned my day around with my final keeper and all my upgrades so I couldn’t be happier”.

Jesse weapons of choice were a Samiki King, Shimano Zodias, and two N.S Blackhole Avengers, these were all matched to Shimano Sustain 1000 reels, the braid outfits were loaded with Toray Super Strong in PE 0.8 matched with 5lb Nitlon leader. The fluorocarbon outfit was Yamatoyo 4lb Flamell.

In third place and only his 2nd tournament was Hamish McNab (aka Hamburger), Hamish picked up the last Grand Final spot of the year and certainly made the most of his opportunity weighing in three bream for 1.435kg to hold off the rest of the top 10.

When asked how his day went Hamish replied “I tried to fish the final the same as the last round, just go out and have some fun and if some bream come back to the weigh-in then that’s a bonus. My plan was to head upriver to some of the spots I pre-fished, and early on I got some 25.5cm bream and some flathead so I thought I would stay in the area and came across my first keeper. I then moved upriver a little and found a nice 30cm bream that gave me plenty of curry while taking advantage of a lose drag.

I then targeted a snag where I got busted off in prefish and straight away I lost a decent bream. I was spewing but still happy so I gave the snag a rest and pushed upriver for no joy. I thought I’d head back to my snag nemesis and see if I couldn’t have a win. Then 1st cast on a Madeye Paddle Prawn and I came up tight to my 3rd keeper after I netted him it was a happy paddle back to the weigh-in. Two bags in two comps, I was stoked and can’t wait to have another crack at the series in 2016”.

When asked if he had any sponsors to plug, Hamish said no. So we thought we would give the Facebook page Hamish manages “WA Kayak Anglers” a plug. Get on and have a look.

Also up for grabs was the title of 2015 Kayak Bream Angler of the year where each angler’s best 4 rounds including the grand final were tallied to come up with the 2015 AOY.

Claiming the 2015 Angler of the year title in a count back was young gun Joseph Gardner. Joseph is the youngest angler in the series and has had a super consistent season which included a win in ZMan Round 3. Joseph took the honours on count back from gun kayak angler Graeme Kovacevich who has had a superb second season which included a win in Engel Round 1.

No doubt Joseph, Graeme and Alex as well as Jesse will be the ones the pack will be keeping a close eye on come the 2016 series.

A big thanks to all the sponsors that made the 2015 series possible, without you our series is not possible, so a big shout out to Getaway Outdoors, Engel, Tackle Tactics, JML Anglers Alliance, Shimano, Compleat Angler, Hobie, Atomic/Samurai, Pontoon 21/Damiki, Shikari Charters, Halco, Tonic Eyewear and of course Grannies Pies.
See you in 2016.

1 Alex-Greisdorf 3 1.920
2 Jesse-Choy 3 1.805
3 Hamish-McNab 3 1.435
4 Kepler-Mark-WeberDoh 3 1.400
5 Joseph-Gardner 3 1.400
6 Steve-Owens 3 1.185
7 Graeme-Kovacevich 3 1.155
8 Massimo-Salimone 3 1.100
9 Robert-Peach 2 1.070 Big Bream 0.800
10 Brad-Gange 2 0.775
11 Jon-Field 2 0.695
12 Matthew-Jeffrey 1 0.645
13 Joe-Franco 1 0.625
14 Robert-Sgambelluri 1 0.545
15 Brett-Ozanne 1 0.525
16 Tim-Stylanou 1 0.510
17 Shane-Owens 1 0.470
18 Jenny-Gardner 1 0.280
19 Reece-Brain 1 0.275
20 Brendan-Chua 1 0.250
21 Stu-May 0 0.000
22 Dominique-Cera 0 0.000
23 Andy-Mitchell 0 0.000
24 Justin-Hamilton 0 0.000
25 Didier-Blanquart 0 0.000
26 Jake-Gill 0 0.000
27 Ed-Bradfield 0 0.000
28 Shaun-Moran 0 0.000
29 Chris-Morris 0 0.000
30 Michelle-Pardini 0 0.000
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1st Alex Greisdorf.jpg (219.0 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg 2nd Jesse Choy.jpg (216.1 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg 3rd Hamish McNab.jpg (219.8 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg 4th Kepler Weber.jpg (229.2 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg 5th Joseph Gardner.jpg (212.3 KB, 138 views)

Last edited by Nick Cuccovia; 05-10-2015 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:23 AM
Blue Lip

Well done to all the competetors this year is what turned out to a cracking series, fantastic effort Alex Griesdolf on a win in round 5 and also the grand final and to Joseph Gardner on taking out angler of the year, looking forward to seeing how the W.A guys do in the National Grand Final at Lake Mac .
Old 05-10-2015, 06:57 AM
Blue Lip

Nick any chance putting the top 10 for the AOY ? In points for the yaks ?

pb 47cm placcies Murray River
pb 44cm hards Murray River

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: