Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 27-02-2018, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Breammaster essentially died when it was offline for a numbers of days, nearly a week from memory. At the time we were having major issues with our host company and were in the process of moving hosts when it all went down, as a result we ended up crashing on the new hosts platform even though they assured us it was all fine and that they would be able to handle the traffic and the size of the site. We then had to go back to the old host and re set up the site. Shortly thereafter they also had an issue which caused the site to run as it should with lots of glitching and freezing etc, our quotas were also being gobbled up by what I later worked out was spam bots attacking our registration page, I also think there was an issue with whatever site or sites we were sharing our server with.

Our host company were of no help telling us that there were no issues, while clearly there were plenty. Eventually while searching for other options the site finally came good, I presume the host compant finally found the issue and resolved it.

The sponsors of the site are actually not so much sponsors of Breammaster but are in fact sponsors of the WA Bream Classic series of fishing comps, it was just another avenue to show our support and to thank them.

Site sponsors in the past rarely if ever paid their bills even though it was some of the cheapest sponsorship going. Many went broke without paying a cent while others still continue on, yet ignore invoices and statements (I will also note that many over the years were very prompt and always paid their bills). As such the site is paid for by the company that owns the site.

We paid for a new platform in the shape of V bulletin 5 however it sits there dormant as no one we know has the ability to transfer all of the website onto the new platform.

Before the devastating crash we had over 600 members a day logging in to see what was going on. Now we average about 150 members, Usually visitors are 5-10 times the number of members so it was a lot of traffic.

During the crash the old host also managed to lose some of the old posts from the very beginning.

I think in our time off line many members got sucked into the void that is social media and lost the free time to return.

Where to from here? Well time will tell I guess so in the meantime we still have some of the comp sponsors product left so we will be giving it all away.
Old 27-02-2018, 09:25 PM
Mature Bream

Facebook does have a bit to answer for but as you state it can't compete as a resource when compared to a well managed forum. Facebook had their first quarter of reduced use last quarter and I think thats asign of whats to come. Even the might Book isn't to big to fail and with feeds becoming a series of silly video's and advertising I think Facebook is on the wane.

Hopefully with some good fishing reports and some technical info Breammaster can return to its former glory.
Old 27-02-2018, 09:50 PM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbream View Post
I have seen spots suddenly crawling with fisherman after a good post on BM. Its a real shame but I don't really know how it can be helped.
Hmmm, further to a previous post of mine. There are no fish at Brunswick Heads. I hear they've all gone up to Tweed Heads.....
Old 27-02-2018, 10:08 PM
Dead Set Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarner447 View Post
I personally feel alot of people had enough of their posts being deleted,I did see alot of that happening when i was more active here , and that was a usual complaint , Maybe mods needed to step back and allow a bit more freedom? I understand sometimes its very easy for things to get out of control but really is it that much of an issue ? its a forum.
Can't agree with that Jase, I believe that the reason the forum was so popular, was the fair way that mods dealt with inappropriate content and swearing. The forum was always intended to be a family place and many times I saw posts and threads degenerate to the point they were removed or locked.

Many young kids used/use the forum and it is perfectly reasonable that site owners dealt with the trashy, front bar, pub talk that became increasingly more prevalent before the first time the site crashed. I know many long time users that stopped posting during that time. And I see that quite a few of the FB bream pages that evolved from those disgruntled, have a far higher tolerance of swearing etc.

As Ian has said, the extended time that the site was down was probably the single most influential factor, as FB pages were being created by every man and his dog, and these were far more mobile device friendly in the early days than the BM forum site at that time. Once gone, its hard to get them back, plus the registration issues forced on the site through persistent spam & DOS attacks made it tough for new members to activate easily.

As far as freebies & sponsor product info, BM always had a sister print publication WA Fishing Mag, which was the vehicle for these and there was very little reason to dilute the impact/advertising across another platform.

Unfortunately communication technology changes can not be halted (I really miss telegrams) and there has been far more investment in making mobile platforms user friendly and forums have been the losers, to the instant update nature of other social media.

Get all your mates to write up extended reports of fishing days, testing of new product reviews and a bit more tackle-oneupmanship pieces and see if it makes a difference . It isn't always someone else's job the fix or change.
Old 27-02-2018, 10:48 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
you should have seen this place a few years ago mate , it was an awesome place to be and welcome to the forum.
Absolutely. Ive tried of late giving my time and materials to do a few write ups - to whatever degree its helped who knows?

Anyhow its getting harder for me to post up stuff - even on FB.

We'll see how it goes? I may have a new gig soon so either way i guess.
Old 27-02-2018, 10:49 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Can't agree with that Jase, I believe that the reason the forum was so popular, was the fair way that mods dealt with inappropriate content and swearing. The forum was always intended to be a family place and many times I saw posts and threads degenerate to the point they were removed or locked.
Hey mate i do get that and understand why alot of posts were deleted and locked but i also do know for a certain time some comment or peoples posts were getting deleted over petty things that wernt in breach of any rules , I had spoken to Ian about this in private but sometimes it seemed more personal to have your post deleted the just protecting the viewing content .

But really its no big deal and i respect your opinion may not be the same as mine.

Thanks Ian for your very informative reply, I personally hope that Breammaster gets a second life because its a bit of a loss.

Proudly Supported by :

Nordic Stage Rods
Old 27-02-2018, 10:57 PM
Dead Set Legend

Quote:
I personally hope that Breammaster gets a second life because its a bit of a loss.
I hope so too
Old 28-02-2018, 12:02 AM
Poddy Bream

I joined to share things bream fishing, and things place and tackle. Amongst a group that can in general spell and dont rely on obscene comment to make a point.

I owned and operated a Tackle shop for a number of years. The main reason I gave it away was the retarded, the ignorant and the illiterate bogans that now domiate in fishing.

Time was folks fished for a feed and cos they loved the sport. Today its a way to parade newfound wealth as demonstrated by the silly prices on some rods and reels for example.

Before the top enders still on this forum get too offended that label and its implication come from current Brand marketers. They complain that the Aussie market has been hijacked by this mob, for which they are truly grateful.

So if the above has any real veracity what does that have to do with our current menbership?

Here I venture to express "opinion"

Measured, fact base discourse puts them off, they simply do not understand at ANY level. Its dull and too detailed to take in. With the attention span of a fly getting in and on is too hard. Their mates too find it above their ability so dont join up. If your mates are not on it a persons audience is limited to a bunch of folks that will just tell them to grow up.

If I have not alienated all the remaining members I am happy to debate, however, I have been assiciated with the 'industry' and customsrs for a very long time and carry considerable adverse feelings about the majority of those attracted to the bogan opportinism offered by the alternative platforms.

I would hope this forum will prosper at least for as long as I can continue to fish, and live in hope that we are not sucked into pandering to the mob for survival.
Old 28-02-2018, 03:10 AM
Administrator

There was a stage where many posts were being deleted by the original poster, it was often blamed on the mods yet under investigation it was often the OP, for what reason I am still unaware however it was happening all too regularly and quite often on very active and interesting threads.
Old 28-02-2018, 03:35 AM
Big Bream

I came across the site when I started fishing a few years ago. I've had a lot of help/advice and learned a lot from searching the older threads. The only negative is that its led me down the path of buying too many rods and reels Hopefully it keeps going as in my opinion offers a lot more than the facebook pages around do. It seems to be a bit more active recently which looks like good news.
Old 28-02-2018, 03:50 AM
Mature Bream

Smile

I blame Broomstick. When he was posting it was always interesting and he inspired others to post their trip reports with quality photos. Even if he spent 5 days fishing the other side of the country for a toady and a pb leatherjacket there was always a good photo of Luna. Then, gradually the trip reports made way for others posting about the pros and cons of getting the reel handle of their $900 bream special painted fushcia but then changed colour in particular light. There seemed to be a lot of emphasis on the gear, more so than the catching, techniques, locations etc.
I used to log on multiple times a day to see what was happening but now it's more like weekly. It's a shame, I learnt a lot and was inspired to get pretty serious about the sport but now find myself chasing kingfish and other species (with very little success).
Hey, I like gear too, but a few people seemed to lose perspective about what it was all about.
I'm getting the band back together in a couple of weeks and hope to post a trip report soon.
Old 28-02-2018, 04:15 AM
Dead Set Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol View Post
I'm getting the band back together in a couple of weeks and hope to post a trip report soon.
http://www.breammaster.com/forum/sho...threadid=68112

Good luck
Old 28-02-2018, 04:37 AM
Poddy Bream

Trip reports are a source of anxiety for me, in that I cant imagine that folks will be interested.

I agonised over whether to start zapping at the Bemm. Fishing solo one has to stop wash and dry hands then take yet another picture of a bream....just in case folks had forgotten what a 32cm bream looked like. Same goes for pics taken of a mate holding a similar fish.

I think there was a thread recently about trying to make the pics a bit better. Finally, did'nt bother grabbing the camera released the fish thinking stuff it I know what a bloomin bream looks like.

Wrong of me in retrospect, its a fascinating place and I neglected to share. I'm sorry folks, its something I could have brought to the forum thats positive rather than reflecting on the negatives we all already recognise.

Cheers
Old 28-02-2018, 05:16 PM
Blue Lip

I think along with everything that's been mentioned, there was simply a lot more to talk about a few years back.
People were moving from basic tinnys to high speed bass boats, sounders with side and structure scan along with electric motors that could be programmed to perform a multitude of tasks. Kayak fishing was developing as well with a couple of different propulsion systems.
On the lure front, hard bodies were being produced with realistic, semi clear finishes and surface luring for bream was gaining momentum.
Reels were being produced with composite bodies and water sealing systems that generated stacks of discussion. Rods were being built with micro guides and carbon fibre grip assemblies, plus more of us were catching on to buying JDM products.
I won't say advancement in technologies has stagnated, but it certainly isn't moving forward like it was a while ago.
Old 28-02-2018, 07:12 PM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
I think along with everything that's been mentioned, there was simply a lot more to talk about a few years back.
People were moving from basic tinnys to high speed bass boats, sounders with side and structure scan along with electric motors that could be programmed to perform a multitude of tasks. Kayak fishing was developing as well with a couple of different propulsion systems.
On the lure front, hard bodies were being produced with realistic, semi clear finishes and surface luring for bream was gaining momentum.
Reels were being produced with composite bodies and water sealing systems that generated stacks of discussion. Rods were being built with micro guides and carbon fibre grip assemblies, plus more of us were catching on to buying JDM products.
I won't say advancement in technologies has stagnated, but it certainly isn't moving forward like it was a while ago.
You do have a point there but I feel there are still a lot of avenues to explore if folks have the time to sit in front of a keyboard.

Example:
My mentor is an Abu Berkley ambassador, he introduced me to their vibes. Recently I picked up a couple of the Ecogear vibes that Broomstick shows in one of his pics.

I could not buy a hit on the Berkley (black) but got most of my bigger fish on the Ecogear in black.

I have not seen too much of that sort of info since I joined........why ever not I ask?

I fess up to not relating that in my (abbreviated) trip report that was really quite BLAND and unhelpful.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: