Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Lures > Hard Bodies

Hard Bodies Diving minnows are the name of the game here…
Attack, Halco, Oargee, Tilsan. Rebel…

Old 09-01-2003, 10:56 PM
Mature Bream

Question Float, sink or suspend?

What's the best for bream, guys, in your opinion?

Do they tend to nail them on the way up or down?

Can you play with the weighting etc by changing trebles and/or
some weights?

Kevin
Old 09-01-2003, 11:02 PM

Great Question!
They hit the softs on the way down, but the hard bodies on the way up. I dont know about in suspension, but most likely, that would be another time they hit the lure.
I think its more the idea that lure has stopped than whether it is going up or down are neither.
INterested in hearing everyone else response.
Great Question

Dave
Old 09-01-2003, 11:12 PM
The Angry Administrator

Kev, my recent hook ups have been neither its been on the steady slow retrieve, and maybe a pause (rarely). But in saying that I know most of the Kalgan captures came after the first couple of twitches when the lure was suspending or sinking. Depends what mood they are in, they`ll hit m on top of the water, sinking or pausing. It comes down to get the lure to where they are and they`ll hit it.

I know Bear manipulates the Attacks by adding a clip at the front to give it more of a suspend..... And moving the middle treble will allow it to rise a touch quicker, and may change the action slightly...

Cheers

Richo
Old 09-01-2003, 11:18 PM

My bream on hard bodies have come on a slow retrieve, but with the soft plastics, they almost always come on the drop.
As richo said, it is dependent on the mood of the fish, and what they've been feeding on in recent times aswell.
I'm goin to have to study this more closely on my next fish!!!
Old 09-01-2003, 11:26 PM
Big Bream

Kevin,

I've found with hardbodies that the bream will often hit it when it's just sitting there. That's why sneaky scorpions are so good. The suspend in the water for ages without floating to the top. I think bream are more reluctant to take a lure when they are on the surface (especially lures that aren't meant to be surface lures).

I had heaps of hits in the Albany bream round from lures that were paused for up to 5 seconds. I usually retreive my lures by twitching with the rod tip and then pausing.

Cheers

James.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:09 AM
Fishing Tragic

I don't really think there is a sure answer to this. It depends on where you're fishing. As a lot of people learnt at Kalgan, the bream hit on the pause. Here in the Swan and at the Murray comp the slow retrieve worked.

In the end, as with colour, give it all a try. If one thing works, stick with it. To be good at anything you have to be flexible, fishing is no different.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BreamOnFly/
----------------------------------------------
http://www.breammaster.com/images/bea001.jpg
Old 10-01-2003, 12:13 AM

Again, i agree
Find what works for you, thats what fishings all about.
Everyone has a different way of doing things!
Old 10-01-2003, 04:34 AM
Big Bream

I find I get most of my hits on hard bodies during the pause as the lure is suspending or slowly rising.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:23 AM

Lightbulb Float, sink or suspend

With reference to hardbodies:
Can't remember having any takes on the sink.
I've had lots of hits either when the lure splashes down or within a second of being cranked, This has only occured at Burswood in the late arvo with a low sun (Water looks like gold).
My favorite retrieve is a few fast cranks to get the lure to working depth, then dead slow with slight variations using retrieve speed, a very common occurance hes been to feel bumps(Just love Loomis rods and fireline)followed in the next few seconds by a savage strike, If there is no strike I repeat the process in the same area a few more times, Often with success.
On one occasion in the late arvo I was fishing from a raised bank, felt the familiar bump when the lure (Rap Shad) was 15 metres out, The next thing I saw was a fast moving fish come in from a 45 degree angle and take up station 3 metres from the bank fins erect and looking in the direction of the approaching lure, as soon as the lure came into sight the bream attacked (42cms).
This explained a lot as I have hooked up many times in this area in a similar way only I haven't seen the strike, it also explained why I get lots of fish with the front treble embedded up the fishes head and the rear treble in there mouth.
Has enyone else noticed similar behaviour?
Old 10-01-2003, 11:04 AM
Mature Bream

hey guys i would have thought that bream would never take a hardbody on the sink as generally there is no movement of the lure whilst it is sinking???

im a real big fan however of leaving a sneaky to sit on the surface of the water for about 5 secs and then twitching down to working depth followed by a slow but twitchy retreive, pausing then twitching down.

saying all this though as long as you get the lure into the snag i havent really found much of a difference between a deadslow and a twitchy retrieve.
Old 11-01-2003, 01:06 AM
Fishing Tragic

As a rule I don't use the front trebles. Just in the name of research I put them on the other night to see what would happen.

Not one of my fish was hooked up on the front treble. Interesting.

To bo honest, it was more of a pain having it back on. I'm going to give it a go for a bit longer, but so far the results speak for themselves.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BreamOnFly/
----------------------------------------------
http://www.breammaster.com/images/bea001.jpg
Old 11-01-2003, 01:17 AM
Mature Bream

i agree with bear- take the front treble off

richo geoff and i were going to do some more "research" today in the murray- they were going to use both whilst i was going to only use the rear. bit i didnt get down there. it will be interesting to see where on the lure they hook all their fish!