Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Boats > Hulls

Hulls Come in here to find info on that next boat you buy…

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 21-07-2008, 05:19 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabcrusher View Post
After heading to my local hardwares supplier and stocking up on some necesary odds and sods, the saw was unleashed. After a couple of hours half the underfloor support was in place.

The footy ended, so it was time to unleash a beverage and pack up the tools ,plenty of time tommorow....

Mate, that's how my last little ship started off.....I thought I was re-reading me own old post for a tick

Just one thing Nick, be careful with the rivets if you're gonna be bashing around in chop and wake, they'll come out in time.

My new frame work will all be welded now i think
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0312.jpg (215.9 KB, 575 views)
Old 21-07-2008, 05:35 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxrally View Post
Seems to be hammering along nicely Nick,
How much have you gone into your budget so far?.

And when is the expected delivery date on the water?
Cheer Dale.
The expected delivery date on the boat is for Mid August. I should have most of the trim work done by Final Siren of the footy this coming Sunday. The electrics wil go in the following weekend, then the livewell the weekend after.

I will probably take the boat out for a prelivewell fiiting to see how she handles and where weight need or need not be placed. The livewell has been planned to go in the hatch just back from the factory bench seat, size will depend on what is discovered in the proving grounds

As far as budget goes, its still on track, may even be able to ad a few more frills if there is some surplus
Old 21-07-2008, 05:47 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emo View Post
Did you decide to weld those underfloor braces or are you gonna leave them riveted only?
The subfloor will be held by aluminium sealed end rivets for now. They are exteremly strong and i have enough in to sink a ship..pardon the pun.

I believe that they will hold out as they i have structured the bracing so as the weight is distributed evenly. I may be wrong, but i will see in the near future.
Old 21-07-2008, 05:51 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylman View Post
Mate, that's how my last little ship started off.....I thought I was re-reading me own old post for a tick

Just one thing Nick, be careful with the rivets if you're gonna be bashing around in chop and wake, they'll come out in time.

My new frame work will all be welded now i think

Wooo that is a mirror image. Ill take the rivets tip on board, i have comtemplated both the weld and the rivet option,but on the last toss of the coint the rivets won.

It may be a bad decision, but i can swim
Old 21-07-2008, 06:31 AM
Blue Lip

Does anyone who has done this caper before have a tip for the marine carpet laying?
1)What is the best type of adhesive , to stick to marine ply?

2) Should the face be glued then laid in one process and then the edges and corners in the next??

Any tips would be much appreciated.
Old 21-07-2008, 07:09 AM
Blue Lip

... I used liquid nails to stick the carpet down, work out rough size, stick it down, then trace the edge with a sharp knife after. Mine didnt show signs of lifting after 2 1/2 years of solid work
Old 21-07-2008, 08:01 AM
Poddy Bream

Ive used contact adhesive on all my stuff... Same as laminex glue. Has worked fine i glued the carpet to the bearers on the ski boat trailer and they were still fine a couple off years later... Glue boat surfaces then when its started to go off put both together..
Old 21-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Blue Lip

Thanks fellas, i have tried one piece last night and it has stuck like shyt to a blanket. Now to find the best way to dress/fold the edges over for a neat finish.I dont want to have to use any staples or nails as there would be nothing worse than having to lift the hatch , only to be greated with a rusty old staple.
Old 21-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Poddy Bream

Most of the ones ive seen have not been folded underneath.There has been carpet on the top only and just cut where your hatches are.. this allows a tight fit of the hatch.. I would just prime all the edges though. This is how mine are done and work well and still look good..
Old 22-07-2008, 02:21 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabcrusher View Post
Thanks fellas, i have tried one piece last night and it has stuck like shyt to a blanket. Now to find the best way to dress/fold the edges over for a neat finish.I dont want to have to use any staples or nails as there would be nothing worse than having to lift the hatch , only to be greated with a rusty old staple.
What about using the same glue folding it under and using a couple grip clip's and a length of wood while it dries?
Old 22-07-2008, 03:33 AM
Fishyman

here ya go mate

my mate just re did his tinny

there is photos and a step by step guide to carpeting decks on his flickr page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/terryla...7605763562398/
Old 22-07-2008, 06:48 AM
Blue Lip

Completed the first piece of the floor, and seems to have worked OK.

1) Stick the carpet down on the face of the marine ply, and leave a tail of 35mm on all side of the carpet.Allow to dry over night

2) In the morning iron and fold the sides only 90 degrees and place glue behind fold. Allow to cure for 12 hours

3) Cut the corners at 45 Degree to create a mitre then iron and fold the last piece. Apply some glue and allow to cure for 3 hrs

4) Once again iron all the sides to work it all in. Aply iron to corners sos as carpet melts together and creates a poly weld.

Allow to cure for the night then start next piece

The way im going the carpet will be done by Christmas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carpet 1.jpg (227.7 KB, 533 views)
File Type: jpg Carpet corner.jpg (221.1 KB, 532 views)

Last edited by crabcrusher; 22-07-2008 at 06:54 AM.
Old 22-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Blue Lip

...might be taking a while but looks the goods mate. Really nice finish. Have you got any pic of the undersides?
Old 23-07-2008, 02:35 AM
Bream_flu

looks the goods orange man i know exactly what your going thru with the carpets it took me for ever to work out how to do all mine. lookin forward to seein it on the water soon.

cheers brad
Old 26-07-2008, 06:58 AM
Blue Lip

Another Day tinkering in the shed, and after a week of sneaking in a few hours after work gluing cutting and folding. It looks as if i have finally made some sort of progress.
The marine ply for the casting deck and hatches has been laid and the electrics have been started. Hinges and latches still need to be fitted and the stationary casting deck board fixed in, tthe boards have been laid as a dry run to see if they all fit nicely.

Once this is done she should be ready to dance on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boat Deck1.jpg (172.1 KB, 589 views)
File Type: jpg Boat Deck2.jpg (199.4 KB, 588 views)
File Type: jpg Boat Deck3.jpg (170.5 KB, 578 views)
File Type: jpg Boat Deck 4.jpg (183.8 KB, 571 views)

Last edited by crabcrusher; 26-07-2008 at 07:01 AM.