Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Boats > Motors

Motors Get the low down on which outboards perform best…

Old 11-01-2015, 05:44 AM
Mature Bream

High Thrust 60hp Yammy Four Stroke Prop Question

Hi Guys, hoping to get some advice on prop reccomendations, currently gettign around 50km/hr out of my boat atm, was wondering what prop options would improve the speed?.... thanks.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:18 PM
Poddy Bream

Generally going up in pitch will help speed. But first have a look at your current rpm at wot and full trim out and what the current pitch is. As there might not be much room for improvement.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:44 PM
Big Bream

Search 'Prop Calculator' . This will allow you to calculate the theoretical best prop match,
Old 11-01-2015, 08:29 PM
Blue Lip

It all depends on your revs and what end of the recommended operating rev range your in. Also to get the best performance from your outboard (not necessarily the prop your running) you should raise it so the cavitation plate is on or just under the surface.

With your boat under normal fishing load you want to be in the middle of the operating range which for that motor is 5000-6000rpm (so about 5500 is good). That leaves you room to move if you go out without load, or if you take an extra person every now and then. If your around 5500 WOT fully trimmed out now then you dont want to change the size of your prop. You can go for a more efficient design which might get you some more speed and alot better handling, holeshot and possibly fuel economy. But generally, the best way to go faster is repower with an outboard of higher horsepower. When you start paying $800 for a prop you can really see that in the scheme of things, a repower isnt all that bad.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:51 PM
Mature Bream

Maybe I'm wrong, bit I was always under the impression the 'High Thrust' Yammy's were all about low-end torque rather than higher speeds?
I remember chatting to some sales guys about them when I got my F60 Yammy and they said they are especially good for the commercial guys running boats loaded up with heavy loads, also houseboats and the like....
Old 12-01-2015, 01:44 AM
Mature Bream

prop

Appreciate the feedback guys, I will do a water test and see what RPM my rig does at WOT. FYI my boat is a 460 top ender, fitted with a minn kota/deep cycle, cranking battery, 60L fuel, and usually fish 2 people to give you an idea of weight. Unfortunately I won’t be able to get out for a couple of weeks so will keep you posted.
Old 19-01-2015, 10:22 PM
Big Bream

50km/h out of a 60 yammy on a 460 Top Ender isn't bad - getting 52km/h in my 480 hornet with a 60 yammy
Old 20-01-2015, 09:05 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudgeon View Post
Maybe I'm wrong, bit I was always under the impression the 'High Thrust' Yammy's were all about low-end torque rather than higher speeds?
I remember chatting to some sales guys about them when I got my F60 Yammy and they said they are especially good for the commercial guys running boats loaded up with heavy loads, also houseboats and the like....
Good call, I dont have the specs but possibly there is some difference in gearbox ratio to produce the higher thrust at a loss to potential top end speed.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:01 AM
Fingerling

top ender

what prop are you running now.I also have a 4.5 top ender with
11 3/8 X 12 -G. not sure on wot rpm or speed
Old 12-07-2016, 05:50 AM
Mature Bream

Hey mate,

Ive been thinking abot re propping my 490 topender (also running a 60 hp but not high thrust)
Getting a similar speed at wot at about 5200 rpm from memory.

Best speed was 54 kmh on a dead flat day really winding her out.

prop I'm running is 11/1/8x13-g most likely the standard size?

Id also like a bit more top end speed and feel like my revs are a little low at wot.

On the plus side my hole shot is quite adequate.

& reading this my top speed may be as good as can be expected.

Next time I'm out il also get exact rpm at wot.

Should be an interesting post.

Cheers

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: