Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Boats > Motors

Motors Get the low down on which outboards perform best…

Old 04-11-2014, 07:18 AM
Fingerling

out board motor body running hot?

I have a 50hp 2001 yamaha out board motor. the motor runs fine and there is plenty of water flow which runs warm. The problem I have is the leg/body on the left side gets really hot after the motor has been running for a few minutes. I have also noticed there is no water coming out of the top exhaust outlet ther seems to be alot of steam only. can any one please shed some light on this problem.
Andrew
Old 04-11-2014, 07:27 AM
Blue Lip

No expert but maybe the water pump? Sounds Like I would be getting it serviced.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:13 PM
Blue Lip

Agree with The Chief, possibly the water pump, either way I'd be taking it in to get a service!
Old 04-11-2014, 11:08 PM
Mature Bream

If it pumps water well through the tell tale and exhaust hub the pump and impellor should be ok. The heat generated is quite likely from the exhaust if it's in the upper leg area. I have an 06 yamaha 50hp 2 stroke and the upper leg near the fairing that flares outwards to meet the cowl does get very hot when it's been running. Where have you disconnected the cooling system and found steam? If you suspect it has hot spots in the water galleries a mechanic might be able to use a pyrometer to check surface temps. It might not show up well but it could be an indicator. The other possible is thermostat stuck and water may not be circulating in certain areas which could explain steam if it's in a water bypass area and water is trapped by the thermostat. Info on your steam source will help narrow it down.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:00 AM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubascott View Post
If it pumps water well through the tell tale and exhaust hub the pump and impellor should be ok. The heat generated is quite likely from the exhaust if it's in the upper leg area. I have an 06 yamaha 50hp 2 stroke and the upper leg near the fairing that flares outwards to meet the cowl does get very hot when it's been running. Where have you disconnected the cooling system and found steam? If you suspect it has hot spots in the water galleries a mechanic might be able to use a pyrometer to check surface temps. It might not show up well but it could be an indicator. The other possible is thermostat stuck and water may not be circulating in certain areas which could explain steam if it's in a water bypass area and water is trapped by the thermostat. Info on your steam source will help narrow it down.
very good advice scuba....... you have said every thing I would have said!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: