Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Lines

Lines Fireline vs the rest…who wins?

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Blue Lip

Hi Gav, thanks for the offer but the line is in the bin mate. As I said I re-spooled with 4lb fluoro straight through.

I am not after a replacement on the line or anything like that so its moot really. I was just passing along my thoughts which as you can see weren't crash hot.

I wouldn't take it too personally either, I have reviewed/tested lots of different lines back in the days and not all were amazing. I know that there can be bad batches of line. I have had mates who have had it with Super PE and even some of the dearer jap braids like Gosen, Unitika and Linesystems.

In saying that, I have never had such a frustrating session with a braid before that I ripped it off the bloody reel and spooled up with leader.

Sorry that it ended up in the bin, I am sure it would have been good to look over it. I know it may have been a bad batch or some sort of QA issue along the way but that doesn't get me my lures (or bass) back.
If they're on, I'll be late, if it's quiet, I'll be late."
Old 02-01-2014, 06:44 PM
Mature Bream

Too easy mate. I agree it does get frustrating when you buy any product and it doesn't perform and it costs a lot of money.
I'm sure Dan will and probably has looked into all potential QA issues with bad batches. I know each bulk spool is tested for this issue before being respooled onto the smaller spools, but it would be the first how many meters off the main bulk spool.
Cheers Gav
Old 02-01-2014, 06:44 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Don't use under 12lb. 6 and 8lb is stupid thin and not worth the hassle. I use 12,15 and 20lb SAS and love it.
+1 I use 15 lb on my sol baitcaster and love it,had no problems at all
Old 02-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Mature Bream

too me a good braid should not have as many bad batches as SAS has. i've used toray, unikita and power pro and have never had a bad batch. ever.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:42 PM
Mature Bream

Like they say, no smoke without fire. Any braid can have a bad batch but the quality braids out there are much less likely too. No point dragging other braids into the argument, this should be about SAS and it's quality control and nothing else.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:45 PM
Poddy Bream

I've never had so much drama with braid before. Dan looked after me replacing the braid and it was just as bad as the first lot. I used 12 and 20lb. Will never use it again nor recommend it.

Its like anything, people who use it either love it or hate it.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:50 PM
Big Bream

Everyone's untitled to they opinion on the subject even if it is comparing other brands, you will never find a product on the market that does not have bad feedback, I garantee that all brands of braid at some stage have broken when it's not ment to, there are a lot of factors that come into the reason why a braid brakes etc

Cheers Justo
Old 03-01-2014, 12:55 AM
Big Bream

This was caught with Tasline All White (same mfg same designer)
50m hookset on a UMBX 700H. I've had no problems with the all white I've used. Still have some of the 12lb in use bought 2011

in case the frame doesn't work
www.youtube.com/embed/b7bsjG8iylI
Old 03-01-2014, 02:22 AM
Mature Bream

How does line just randomly snap when casting?
Sounds like a line management issue to me.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:33 AM
Mature Bream

I lost a squid jig recently when mt fireline broke during casting.

Have the SAS 8lb on nearly all my light spin reels now, and although it took a little while to get my knots up to scratch I have never had the line break unless it was at the knot.

Sad to hear so many have had problems, as it's getting hard to find and buy Australian products.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:43 AM
Mature Bream

Maybe it's a bad batch.im in the building game and I had an issue with a product that I have been using for years.these things happen.if the boys at sas are willing to replace it or refund you can't ask for more.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:58 AM
Big Bream

^^ I agree mate I have had a breakage but it was only once since I've had it spooled on my stella. It could have also been my fault. Sometime people blame the product before they look at all the other aspects involved. The product has a lot of positive feedback so it can't be that bad. As I said earlier you can't please 100% of people 100% of the time

Cheers Justo
Old 03-01-2014, 10:07 AM
Big Bream

With knots try, practise and use the FG knot.
I use my own combo of 6 pair weave followed by a pair of opposing hitches then lock off. I have yet to have breakage at the knot.
I find with most quality "test strength" braids to break easier after abrasion.
Keep in mind there are common PE with hugely understated strengths and thickness. They make braids like SAS and Castaway appear weak but that's more due to incorrect labelling
Old 03-01-2014, 06:51 PM
Blue Lip

I like it when there's a bad review of a product, and you get people defending it with the most redicoulous replies. Tall poppy syndrome, line mismanagement, other issues and not the lines fault, or learn better knots, especially when you actually did not go through what the complainants did and actually know what happened.
The OP stated when tieing 6 lb braid to 4 lb leader and the braid breaks on tightening, and it was alway the braid that gave way on the other occassions all whilst using 4 lb leader, is unavoidably unacceptable, no matter how you look at it.
Full credit for the warranty service provided by SAS.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:11 PM
Poddy Bream

Hi Everyone

Firstly let me say this is very concerning for us at SAS BRAID

From the very start of this we have always tried to do the right thing by actually testing every spool of line we make. To do this of course we cannot test the middle of a length i.e 150m we cannot test it at 75m so we test the first and last "extra" 3m, we do 3 tests and a test takes 1m to get a result.

We are not out to bullshit to anyone or deceive anyone with the results, They are real tests carried out by one of the most renowned testing laboratories in the world. (pcwi international)

I can say that yes we have had a few of the large spools that did not shape up to what we wanted so they went in the bin as they should. We also had another large spool where during the spooling onto the smaller reels our machine developed a bur and "knicked" the line every 2 feet this happened after the testing procedure so therefore it was missed before going out to the shops. We sorted that problem as soon as it was brought to our attention,

which brings me to how a company can find out if there is a problem, Only through what the customer tells them or their own testing and due to the number of processes the line goes through before it hits the shelves it is impossible to test it just before it walks out the door. So companies especially SAS rely on information from the consumer. I have always said if there is a problem give me a call we will always sort out what is going on and resolve the issue with you.

We are the first to admit our 6lb line can be hard to manage due to it being so thin and light, it was developed to give people that fish with 2lb etc a little more strength but retain the castability and lightness of an outfit, It was never designed to be fished in racks or rocky areas or be over spooled so people cast wind knots. All of our lines are designed so you can fish a higher breaking strain with out loosing capacity or castability so if you normally use 4lb, use our 8lb it is just as thin but stronger (except for what is going on here in this thread) Use the line that is right for the application

People are saying about our QA well honestly I do not know what else we can do, We do test every spool, every single mm of line runs through my fingers while spooling it onto the smaller spools and I have picked up broken strands etc and of course that line doesn't get out for sale.

We are new to this and are trying to do everything in our power to bring a great line to everyone. but as I said we do find some problems and deal with them. Until this problem we have caught them before they go out to the public.

So please if you have a problem with our products give me a call on 0481144529 and give us a chance to sort it out with you

thanks
Dan
Closed Thread