Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 07:44 AM
Fingerling

Pflueger Supreme 9030XT

Hey guys, does anyone have a Pflueger Supreme 9030XT and what do you think about them? I was thinking of getting one for my G loomis DSR8200S.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:42 AM
Big Bream

nah but dads got a 8030 mg, and he couldnt be happier with it, he's already committed to getting another, but probably in the 8025. i have a 8040 and couldnt be happier light, smooth and a lovely drag, and am planning on getting a 8025 as well.
so yep, dunno about the xt model but the mg's are great
Old 07-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Blue Lip

Don't think many people in Oz have these reels. Didn't stop me getting one though

It is very light and it looks friggen hot. Things I have noted:

* spare spool sux - chuck it in the bin

* high gear ratio - I'm indifferent

* smooth drag, but I find that it increases in very small increments .. maybe it's similar to a finesse type drag .. something I don't like because I got bricked into a snag a few weekends ago because I set my drag too light and took forever to tighten the drag (should have palmed the spool instead)

* don't think max drag is very high .. but then again, I have not tested it to it's max as I only use 4/6lb leader on it

* massive spool capacity meant 4 lb crystal fireline needed a heap of backing

Check out the reviews from these guys from the US. They like em.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0053583122676a.shtml
Old 07-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Big Bream

yeah the mg's dont have an excessive max drag, but with a 30 it probably goes high enough for any application that you would use that reel for.
I have 2 medalists, a patriarch, a summit, and a supreme and all of them have a finnese style drag in my opinion, even the 7000 size medalist for its size, but i like it that way as it allows you to increase the pressure or decrease the pressure in minimal incriments, i can see where it would be a problem in getting bricked though.
one negative.
they mark easy, if you take good care of it you wont have a problem, but they dont bounce very good. and they are magnesium, so if you get a scratch you'll have to cover the mark with clear nail polish.
hope this helps
cheers
Old 07-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Fingerling

Thanks for you input guys, I think I will go ahead with the purchase. At this stage I was thinking of getting two of them and getting a pfueger rod to match. I was thinking a smaller rod to use in my Kayak and I can also use It around low bridges from my boat.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:30 PM
Big Bream

Hey mate,

Before you buy, send a PM to Charmellion or Charmelion (forgot the spelling) - he owns almost everything Pflueger and will be great help, i'm sure. He's always spoken positive bout Pluegers

Cheers
Old 07-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Blue Lip

Yep, match it up to a Pflueger Trion Tournament 2-5 kg and you will have a pretty good setup. The mustard colour is a bit of a SOL copycat but I think looks better.

Just noticed you wrote that you wanted to match it up to a G Loomis - never had one of those rods but you may want a better reel for those rods.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg (Small).JPG (58.7 KB, 277 views)

Last edited by tuan; 07-07-2010 at 08:37 PM.