Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 25-06-2023, 10:42 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazman View Post
Bit late on the net discussion but that berkley kayak net 50cm is pretty much what I used, except mine was the old catch and release net that I cut down to length myself. According to the specs its the same head size and I reckon I cut it to around the same length theirs is, was a great net that I had used on everything from bream, trout and redfin to cod and jewies (upto around 80cm). Recently lost it on the river and bought the telescopic version as a replacement (more boat use in mind) but might grab one of them for the yak as well.
Never too late to talk nets with me

Thanks for the insights. Yeah I'll be taking 7 foot rods out on the Yak - So they arent really long but they arent really short either - So I was going to give myself a little wiggle room to sneak up on the perfect length.

I'll have lip grips with me aswell - So theres alot of variables that are causing me to second guess my choices - but my first choice for landing big Jewies land based has always been a bigggg net - with deep pockets.

Ive perfected my netting techniques with those, so thats what I feel most comfortable with - you get the Jewies gliding in a straight line and build up some momentum with a tight line - and you sling them into the net - once there head goes in you release the tension on the line and the slide right in.

When Ive tried with short pocket nets - you almost have to get the head and body over the top of the net and hope they cooperate and bend in half when you scoop up
Old 27-06-2023, 09:50 AM
Big Bream

I'm the same with rods on the yak and use longer rods comfortably. My plan on the yak has always been to lip grip them when they get too big for that net. Never got a jewie big enough to be an issue but have lip gripped a few bigger cod.

I got one of the wilson XL rubber nets for big fish in the boat which is great for big fish but I just can't see it working on a kayak.
Old 28-06-2023, 11:15 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazman View Post
I'm the same with rods on the yak and use longer rods comfortably. My plan on the yak has always been to lip grip them when they get too big for that net. Never got a jewie big enough to be an issue but have lip gripped a few bigger cod.

I got one of the wilson XL rubber nets for big fish in the boat which is great for big fish but I just can't see it working on a kayak.
Thanks again- I keep flip flopping between the best way to land them - Ill just bring lip grips and the net and hope I can make the lip grips work.

All reports Im hearing are they are a little tough to find at the moment and If the blokes Im hearing from are struggling - my lip grips and net with stay dry anyway
Old 16-07-2023, 06:32 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

A mate just moved in to a new joint and invited me down to check it out.
Sounded good - We were gonna watch the local footy then back for a few beers and BBQ

A translation for that is - no BBQ - no footy but there will be visits to the tip - Moving furniture and spending a good chunk of the arvo building over head storage for the new car port
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 77.jpg (121.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 75.jpg (68.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 16-07-2023, 06:34 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Truth be known - I prefer a bit of dodgy diy to footy any way
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 74.jpg (70.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 79.jpg (69.3 KB, 0 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: