Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Lines

Lines Fireline vs the rest…who wins?

Old 22-07-2013, 03:10 AM
Mature Bream

Thanks guys.

For those of you talking about needing backing or not - obviously when I only have 100m of 2lb braid I need backing even on ultra shallow spools just to take up some capacity.
Old 22-07-2013, 03:31 AM
Blue Lip

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paz View Post
Thanks guys.

For those of you talking about needing backing or not - obviously when I only have 100m of 2lb braid I need backing even on ultra shallow spools just to take up some capacity.
you talks the sense !

but yeah .. stating the obvious you're going to need to do a skinny ass joining knot between braid and backing ... what pound backing are you using ? maybe you need to get some 1 or 2 lb mono to use as backing to avoid the chunky knot but obviously if you do get down to the backing .. you're pretty much screwed. i find the slim beauty pretty slim (!) but have gotten by with just an albright when using 125 yards of 2/3lb braid. and no i have not cast so far that i have seen my joining knot.
Old 22-07-2013, 05:27 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagga View Post
I agree with Madeye, for bream you will be fine with 100 meters, in which case you don't need backing. Tie the braid directly to the spool using an arbor knot, or any other slipping loop, I just make sure I wrap the braid around the spool tightly about five or six times before tying the arbor. I've been using this method for years and I've never had braid slip on the spool.
Isnt your braid then too far below the spool lip ? I put on 100m or so of straight through fluoro, and after a few snags and break offs, that 100m quickly diminishes. Even though there are more knots etc, with braid you usually only sacrifice your leader. With Fluoro you will lose more. So depends on what you use.
Old 22-07-2013, 05:29 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUNQX View Post
YOu must have it really good out there in the west if your 5kg snapper are still called pinkies... For me here, anything over 3kg I'll happily call a snapper
I think our WA buddies call them Pink Snapper so a fish of say.......7kg will still be called a Pinky, it's not just the juveniles over there that are called Pinkys.
Is that correct WA buddies?
Old 22-07-2013, 05:46 AM
Blue Lip

We dont differentiate between size. A pinky is just a Pink Snapper.

Using Unitika Light jigging im quite surprised how easy it is to over exaggerate your casting distance.
It changes colors every 10 meters and its very rare to get a cast over 20m.

Australian Designed and Owned
Old 22-07-2013, 06:10 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxcalais View Post
Isnt your braid then too far below the spool lip ? I put on 100m or so of straight through fluoro, and after a few snags and break offs, that 100m quickly diminishes. Even though there are more knots etc, with braid you usually only sacrifice your leader. With Fluoro you will lose more. So depends on what you use.
That can be an issue with 2500 size reels VX. I only do it on my 2004 size reels with shallow spools. I fish frog braid which comes in 150 meter spools, I can never fit the whole spool on the reel. Always have 30 meters or so left.
Old 22-07-2013, 05:33 PM
Big Bream

Yellowdoor is spot on - I also use either a small piece of electrical tape and stick it over the knot or even just a piece of plastic. I do this on all my reels regardless of how much braid I put on or the thickness of my backing. The piece of tape will also protect your braid coming off the spool if you do hook a bigger fish and need the extra line. This has only happened to me once before and I found that without the piece of tape , the fast running fish caused the braid to 'hook' on the exposed knot as it was coming off the spool, even though it didnt run into the backing the knot still caused some dramas under the pressure. I have been putting the tape over my knots for several years and it works great. We even sometimes just use a piece of paper and havnt had it come apart.

regards

Rod

Old 22-07-2013, 07:05 PM
Blue Lip

I got a shallow MB spool for my alphas and has 12lb Tas line put on it.1 1/2m of backing 6lb mono and 75 mts of the Tas line.Albright knot was used to join and no tape was used the line layed fine no knot issues.
Old 23-07-2013, 04:38 AM
Big Bream

ive always just run a quarter of the spool with electrical tape and lay the line on the tape before fixing tape tight to the spool (most spools need a bit of width taken off). Just use the thinnest old braid you have as backing; good for 2 reasons. 1. you get a hell of a lot on as backing and when spooled on super tight, lays a bit neater than mono. 2. the joining knot will be just that tinny bit smaller braid to braid rather than braid to mono. When the knot comes onto the spool I then get my pinky nail and side to side squash it (knot) into the backing so its flush.

in relation to 100m meters being adequate; I specifically target jewies and flathead land based and never had one take anymore than 50 odd meters, that one was 92cm. I would say I did not have anymore than 1.5/2kg of drag applied. But I do not know the breaking strength of your 2lb so you may be out of luck if you hooked a solid mulloway or flathead.