Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Vehicles > 4WD

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 26-10-2014, 01:27 AM
Mature Bream

suspension brand reviews

Time to replace the 3" Tough Dog kit in my GU Patrol. Thinking of trying a set of Koni 88 shocks but havent heard a review from anyone out there who actually has a set fitted. Anyone tried them? Happy to heard good/bad reviews on other brands too. Ive tried OME and the ride was alright but had a leak in the first month that was a nightmare to get replaced under warranty from ARB. Plus they only do 2" lifts, which wont work with my current 35's. What are you running and how do you rate it?
Old 26-10-2014, 01:53 AM
Mature Bream

Hey bud,
I have been looking into a lift kit for GQ wagon for a while myself. I don't do much 4x4ing, but I do a lot of towing and will do general bush and beach work. I personally think that tough dog, snake racing ect. Is a bit of an expensive purchase, although I may be stingy.

I will be getting the 2inch King Spring coils with Blupac shocks. Blupac are Australian and have a good amount of positive reviews on 4x4 forums. Only around $500 depending on whether you get a steering dampener ect.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=360882375233

That one there is the blupac shocks and coils, but you can get lovells and king springs configurations.
Each to their own but. Good luck!

Last edited by Ned fisch; 26-10-2014 at 01:58 AM.
Old 26-10-2014, 09:08 AM
Fingerling

From what I have read, the Koni's work well on Patrols. Another option are Bilstein shocks (not sure if they will do a length to fit on a 3 inch lift) however it's what a large majority of Pajero owners are putting on their later model pajeros.

I plan to replace my shocks with OME.

PB BB - 37cm
PB Bartail - 45cm
Old 30-10-2014, 05:44 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned fisch View Post

I will be getting the 2inch King Spring coils with Blupac shocks. Blupac are Australian and have a good amount of positive reviews on 4x4 forums. Only around $500 depending on whether you get a steering dampener ect.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=360882375233
That ebay pack looks good. 5 year warranty is really good too. Price is excellent. Might do some research into them.
Old 30-10-2014, 05:57 AM
Mature Bream

quite a few of the guys on the patrol forums run procomps. ive used them and would get them again. Find the right part numbers here in oz then buy from the states. They are around $40 a shock, pm me your email if you want the lists for all their shocks. you will need to know the extended and collapsed lengths you need though.
Bilsteins are another option. great shock and quite firm so if you dont want a firm/"hard" ride probably not the best, but they will result in the best handling.. just dont buy them here in oz you may have a heart attack at the price. Im in the process of upgrading my procomps to bilstiens, again buying through the states.

i know mate with camper tailors have had konis fitted on them from factory and both of them began to leak with 10000km.. Koni didnt question it with regard to warranty but leaking shocks isnt something you want to address in a few months.
Old 30-10-2014, 03:25 PM
Mature Bream

I was thinking of Bilsteins after reading the patrol4x4 forum yesterday. Ive seen them for $210 each in Oz but didnt realize how much cheaper they are in the US. First search of US pages found a set of 4 shocks for $310 US ($350 AUD).Might be the way to go.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:01 PM
Big Bream

Has anyone else seen the new Foam cell Pro shocks from Ironman? I know they are normally more budget focussed but these actually look really good on paper. They are too new on the market to find any quality reviews yet but I'm seriously considering them as an OME alternative.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:51 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Curve View Post
Has anyone else seen the new Foam cell Pro shocks from Ironman? I know they are normally more budget focussed but these actually look really good on paper. They are too new on the market to find any quality reviews yet but I'm seriously considering them as an OME alternative.
I have been running the white ironman shockers for a few months now, no complaints

Last edited by Piranha; 03-03-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:48 AM
Mature Bream

Had them for about 3 months now. They are surprisingly good. About to head off for 2 months to give them a good test but so far they are good. The physical size of them is crazy. Took a fair amount of grinding of the front shock mounts to get enough clearance. I think the diameter is 65mm and my old shocks were 45mm so they are a significant increase in size. For the price I'd definately recommend them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 3.jpg (222.2 KB, 158 views)
Old 04-03-2015, 03:54 AM
Big Bream

Nice one. What vehicle are you running them on? I see you went for non Ironman springs, any reason why? I'm not in a rush to buy but I will be very interested to hear your thoughts of them after your trip. I'll be putting them in a 200 series if I get them.
Regards,

T Curve
Old 04-03-2015, 06:25 AM
Mature Bream

They are fitted to a GU Patrol. I went with Dobinson springs, mainly for the 400kg load rating. I have a lot of rear weight when travelling (225L of diesel, drawers/fridge, rear bar with 2x 35" spares) so the 400kg constant load rating comes in handy. I've had dobinsons on my old GQ shorty and they worked well. I've had OME and Tough Dog on the GU and havent been too happy with them.

If you were looking at OME or Ironman I would recommend Ironman. This is based on experience with the GU. We have 200s at work with the OME GVM upgrade with 2" lift and they drive really well, but I havent driven a standard 200 to compare. The only downside to the Ironmans so far was fitting with the large diametre of the shock, but with and IFS vehicle like a 200 it wouldnt be a problem.

My bad on the sideways pic, I only just realized it.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:12 PM
Big Bream

Nice one mate. How's the ride in terms of firmness? I'm only after a 2 inch lift and won't have a heap of weight in the back. A 60 litre fridge, false floor and a bit of gear etc.

A lot of driving will be done day to day without much weight at all so I am wary of getting the springs too heavy duty at a cost of the ride being too firm.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:24 AM
Mature Bream

The ride isnt too firm, but matching the coil constant load rates to what you carry is important. Getting 100kg springs might be the go for what you carry. It will help elimate rear suspension sag and if your towing a boat it will help with the drawbar weight too. With the tanks low and 1 spare on the back ( so only about 200kgs in the back) the GU's ride is still good and the difference isnt really noticeable. I'd say you would notice the handling difference with having under rated springs more than over rated, as the rear sag would take some of the weight off the front wheels and make the steering a bit light and vague.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:54 AM
Mature Bream

Bit of a down grade from tough dog to iron man don't you think
Old 05-03-2015, 03:45 PM
Mature Bream

Nah not so far. Im liking the Ironman shocks better so far, definately ride better than the tough dogs did. Time will tell how long they last. The Ironmans are fully rebuildable like Konis are so can carry seals and oil to repair on the road. I went to a well known suspension expert to get a set of Koni 88's but was recommended the Ironmans for half the price, and he had them fitted to his own Patrol. So far they have been excellent, but I'll know more once I give them a real test in a few weeks time.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: