Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Lures > Hard Bodies

Hard Bodies Diving minnows are the name of the game here…
Attack, Halco, Oargee, Tilsan. Rebel…

Old 09-01-2003, 10:38 PM
Mature Bream

Leaders Neccessary?

Do you really need a leader?

When using 6lb smoke fireline are leaders neccessary.I usually fish of jetties, sandflats and other areas where breakages against objects are a rare occurence. In these areas are leaders really essential, especially when using low vis-line. In these areas wouldn't a leader just inhibit casting, or should I use a leader for insurance just in case.

Regards
ChrisN
Old 09-01-2003, 10:46 PM
Big Bream

Depends on what your fishing. If your going for flatties it doesnt really matter although I'm not sure if the fish can see fireline in the water or not. If they can then you need one. On the other hand the place I go to (claremont jetty) the bream are right under the end section so you have to cast under there between 2 pylons. Theres only a gap of about 1.5 m between the pylons so when you hook up theres no way to fight it but to just drag it out (was this the dave w style I heard about yesterday?).

I like to use a leader also because if I get snagged, then its more likely to break off at the leader join or somewhere down there. I got snagged yesterday for the first time using fireline and it was scary...and painful
Old 09-01-2003, 10:53 PM

Yeah, you should use a leader. For one, fireline is visible in the water so that should be enough of a reason. Secondly, fireline has minimal stretch, so the leader helps absorb some shock when casting and when you get hit by pelagics. Without the leader, you can literally pull the mouth off a fish (like tailor) due to the lack of stretch in the fireline.
With flathead, if the fish swallows the lure whole, his teeth will cut through your fireline, whereas, the chances are lower with the mono leader.
Hope this helps!

Dave