Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Lures > Jigs

Jigs Want to find out which jigs perform best, drop in here…
Gamakatsu, Slider, Ecogear, Nitro, Assassin...

Old 10-09-2011, 11:11 PM
Fingerling

Random Mullet Q

Does anyone have any tried and tested methods of catching potty mullet for bait?
Cast nets not allowed in my area so was thinking burley trail from shore of river and small hook/bead setups with bread?

Would like a better idea before i waste time lol

Cheers,
ZK
Old 10-09-2011, 11:45 PM
Mature Bream

I mostly use mullet for gummy bait, I use a bait trap with fish flavoured cat food as bait and get ones about 15cm long, but if I want bigger ones I use a light paternoster with size 8 suicides and light sinker with bits of bread or prefferably banana prawn which is avaliable from supermarkets. The biggest I have got so far was 34cm using paternoster.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:54 PM
Big Bream

easiest way i have found is bait trap, clear alvey ones are ok, the old cordial bottle layed flat with a small hole in top works well too. they can be real fussy sum days and wont go into the traps so i always take a rod too. found sum size 16 fly hooks at my local and i tie a dropper rig with either 2 or 3 hooks and no weight, roll a small piece of bread on the bottom hook and place 2 small bits of crust on the top 2 so they float, the rolled bit on the bottom will give you just enough wait to cast into your bread burley. they will pretty much take the floating ones every time. another method i have seen is tying a rubber band to your line with 3 or 4 short pieces of line tied to this with small hooks attached. roll a piece of bread on all the droppers and place a slice of bread in the rubber band. the mullet will get attracted to the big slice of bread and it wont be long till they find a piece with a hook in it.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:37 PM
Blue Lip

+1 for bait trap, there are a few vids on youtube on how to use them.
You can even use a plastic bottle by seeling the lit and cutting a * then you bend the triangles inward so once they enter they cannot get out. make sure to put some sand/mud in the bottom with some bread, come back the next day and MULLET