Go Back   Bream Master Forums > All Things Camping > Great Ideas

Great Ideas Share what ideas you have that have made life easier and more enjoyable.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:35 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Curve View Post
Some of you blokes need to seriously harden up. I'm suprised you even fish.
Mind you, I fish exclusively from a kayak. I carry my yak to load and unload from the car roof racks, wheel the yak to the water and then pedal to where I want to fish in usually kilometres away. Rain, hail or cold, I'm out there and usually in some chop too... No outboard engine to power the craft, no nice carpeted casting deck, no cockpit to protect you from the splash, wind etc.. Most you boat guys don't even winch the boat up on the trailer anymore. Probably the most physical thing you'd do is strap down the boat on the trailer... and I'm to harden up?
Old 06-07-2013, 04:42 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUNQX View Post
Mind you, I fish exclusively from a kayak. I carry my yak to load and unload from the car roof racks, wheel the yak to the water and then pedal to where I want to fish in usually kilometres away. Rain, hail or cold, I'm out there and usually in some chop too... No outboard engine to power the craft, no nice carpeted casting deck, no cockpit to protect you from the splash, wind etc.. Most you boat guys don't even winch the boat up on the trailer anymore. Probably the most physical thing you'd do is strap down the boat on the trailer... and I'm to harden up?
+1 kayaking is hard work
Old 06-07-2013, 09:22 PM
Mature Bream

I fish from a 'yak too - no boat ramp required, and often the best fishing spots are a long way from any accommodation other than camping. I love being able to leave the kayak tied up on the water, or just a short walk to the water rather than having to car-top it to and from my launch spot.
Have a little camper trailer that takes < 10 minutes to set up, and it's all up off the ground. Comfy as. After an adequate amount of beers I can sleep 1/2 way up (or is that down?) a flight of stairs.

Maybe I should have called this thread "Are we a soft bunch?"
Old 12-07-2013, 06:26 AM
Fingerling

JI fish both from a yak and a boat,
now after many a years fishing I still really enjoy spending 10 + hrs a day on the water fishing hard, but I've compromised by finding accommodation within 20 minutes to where I want to fish most of the time.
I've exchanged ice in the tent, and smelly wet cloths for a hot shower after each session and a comfortable chair to drink in.
I'll still jump in a swag now and then if I have no option or am on the fly.
I wouldn't call me soft as I work outside 12 hrs a day, regardless what the weather, but fishing doesn't have to be all hardships, I thought we all fished because we enjoy it.

So am I soft or am I getting wiser as I get older?
Old 12-07-2013, 07:26 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin dabbler View Post
I wouldn't call me soft as I work outside 12 hrs a day, regardless what the weather, but fishing doesn't have to be all hardships, I thought we all fished because we enjoy it.

So am I soft or am I getting wiser as I get older?
Hit the bulls eye there. If we wanted to do it tough, its called "work" or "boot camp". Fishing is about relaxation, enjoyment. Why do it tough when you don't have to?
Old 12-07-2013, 07:52 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Hit the bulls eye there. If we wanted to do it tough, its called "work" or "boot camp". Fishing is about relaxation, enjoyment. Why do it tough when you don't have to?
I don't think camping is doing it tough, but doing it simple and uncomplicated. I've always liked camping and the simplicity and relaxation of it. No big TV's, constant noise and ambient light - just nature, a million stars and a fire to watch. You do need to finesse your setups though. People are saying they sleep uncomfortably- get a better mattress or sleeping bag. My ultimate holiday is camping. Jam Europe where the sun don't shine, I'll be holidaying in the Kimberly. Its an acquired taste and its one of those love it or hate it things.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:11 AM
Blue Lip

A tip fro those that sleep in cars is to get he window socks. u can have your window down and mozzies out.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Blue Lip

If your finding camping 'TOUGH' then you are most likley not doing it properly if it's a comfort thing then get better camping gear, simple
on the other hand if there wasn't enough 'soft' fishos out there requiring luxury accomidation then the tourism/hospitality industry would suffer each to their own
Old 12-07-2013, 08:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
And no caravan parks or caravans for me too. Went to Marlo and thought I could hack an on-site caravan. It was off peak when I went so I thought it would be quieter. When I arrived, the on-site van I was in was next to residential houses and one of the houses had a renovation happening. Walls of the caravan was paper thin and couldn't get any rest from my much needed nanny nap.
Figured that it'd be better at night, that night I tried to sleep and the van next door had a bogan couple and I could hear EVERYTHING that was going on in that van. Cooking dinner, doing laundry, and the worse part, they decided to have a nookie.
Nookie + paper thin walls + bogans = Never going to a caravan park again.

That time I paid for 2 nights but left after the first.
Hahaha Come on mate harden up from one Yak fisho to another, and i don't have the luxury of pedals on my yak nor a fairly dry arse most of the time I agree with others when they say Camping does not have to be tough and if it is you really are not prepared. Can be as relaxing or hard as you make it Some of the best spots are of the beaten track where you don't have the luxury of 4-5 star accomodation but i'd take the peace, stars and natural beauty over that any day personally. If i wanted luxury i'd just stay home and fish my local waters.

Last edited by Breamobsession; 12-07-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:03 PM
Mature Bream

soft?

Just get one of these guys!!!! I wish I had 1....hang on I do
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bling.jpg (183.3 KB, 180 views)
Old 08-08-2013, 10:39 PM
Mature Bream

I always take some shade cloth with me....not to give me shade but to put on the ground sand falls through it and keep sand out of unwanted places... it helps make it a little more bareable haha
Old 08-08-2013, 11:30 PM
Big Bream

Love camping and will do it next to any accomm even if it was free
Only one 'must have' is a roaring fire that as the night goes on you have to move back 1m every half hour
Old 09-08-2013, 12:34 AM
Big Bream

having travelled across India for work this week, I'm keen to get into my swag, it would be cleaner & comfier than any of the hotels I've stayed at, and I could fish from the swag too. great rolling the swag out in the boat, rocking you to sleep on those overnighters.

+1 on the fire EB
Old 09-08-2013, 12:42 AM
Mature Bream

I'd much rather go camping than spend anytime in a hotel/motel. Before Cricket came into my life, Dad and I would spend most weekends camping at the beach... Now we are a die hard fisherman not camping people.. So we don't have a 'luxury' camp site, we turn up to the beach, set up a small area early in the morning, (tide pending) pull worms for hours for bait, fish all through the day for whiting and flathead.. The sun starts to go down over the sand dunes and we wack out the tailor/jew gear, fish till just after dark, head back to the camp site, we make a fire, clean down the fishing gear a little, put some food on the fire and watch the stars come out... The sky is dark and so clear unlike town!! Sometimes he will slip me a drink but hey no harm done.. Nothing can beat freshly caught whiting fillets under the stars
PB Bream - Bait - 50.3cm
Old 09-08-2013, 05:07 AM
Big Bream

Not everyone has a couple of hundred to go splashing around willy nilly.
Plus thats like half a decent new reel :P

As others have mentioned camping doesnt always mean roughing it if you have the right gear.
Having a decent spot to sleep sure does make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackcridland View Post
y sleep uncomfy when for a couple of hundred u can sleep like a baby in a nice warm motel

Kayak PB's - Rainbow Trout 43cm - Bream 41cm - Flathead 55cm - Tailor 60+cm - Flounder 44cm - Sand Whiting 31cm - KGW 35cm - Mangrove Jack 33cm.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: