Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Lures > Hard Bodies

Hard Bodies Diving minnows are the name of the game here…
Attack, Halco, Oargee, Tilsan. Rebel…

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 05:46 AM
Big Bream

What's your 6 top lures to take to Mallacoota?

I will be heading off to Mallacoota again in late November this year. It's one of my favourite destinations. As usual, I will be targeting big bream and big duskys. I will be taking around 200 plus lures with me, but I'm always a little concerned that I won't have the best possible performers for there.

I know this is a silly game, but I will find it a bit of fun, at least. What would be your top 6 lures (hardbody or soft plastic) to take to Mallacoota? Why have you picked this 6? And, most importantly, where and how would you fish them?

Here's mine ...

1) Daiwa Double Clutch - these are extremely effective on both dusky flathead and big bream. They dive to around 8 feet, making them very useful around the dropoffs and the banks that are about 8 feet deep.
2) OSP Dunk 48 - Mainly for bream that might be holding deep in the bottom lake. Flathead should find them reasonably appealing as well.
3) Smith Towadi surface lures - Great fun to use on the shallow flats on bream and sand whiting. Also useful around snags.
4) Cranka Cranks - shallow & deep - A very useful and effective general purpose bream lure to use around snags and dropoffs.
5) Storm Wildeye soft plastics - 7 cm and 5 cm with a curl tail. I haven't tried these yet, but I have high hopes for them for both bream and flathead.
6) OSP Bent Minnow - Once again, I haven't tried these lures, but they get a big rap. I will fish them on the shallow flats, letting them lie on the surface and giving them short rips before letting them rise to the surface again.

Of course, they are heaps and heaps more that I will be taking, but I will be pinning high hopes on the above 6.

Mick
Old 09-07-2012, 06:04 AM
Mature Bream

Hit Coota up with Capt Kev for a few days a week ago, fishing was a bit slow
Mostly fished deeper water
Double Clutches worked well for me (i used b.gold and g.wakasagi) along the banks on windy days
Fish seemed to be wise to blades although we got a few, black was good
Small 2-3inch minnow style plastics worked well amongst bait schools (some jap ones of mine)
Take some heavier leaders (6lb+) largish duskys are still around
Be advised, lot of choppers in bottom lake
Old 09-07-2012, 06:12 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danpachi View Post
Hit Coota up with Capt Kev for a few days a week ago, fishing was a bit slow
Mostly fished deeper water
Double Clutches worked well for me (i used b.gold and g.wakasagi) along the banks on windy days
Fish seemed to be wise to blades although we got a few, black was good
Small 2-3inch minnow style plastics worked well amongst bait schools (some jap ones of mine)
Take some heavier leaders (6lb+) largish duskys are still around
Be advised, lot of choppers in bottom lake
Thanks for that Danpachi. It's good to see that other fishos like to use Double Clutches there. They're a good casting lure too. I've never had much success using blades at Mallacoota, but I know others have, so I always have a try though. When I'm specifically targeting duskys, I use heavier leaders, usually 6 or 8lb. I use 4lb for most of my fishing though. Choppers can be a pain, especially when they wreck your soft plastics, but hopefully they won't be around as much in November.

Last edited by Windknot; 09-07-2012 at 06:22 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Blue Lip

The first 2 lures I would make sure I have in my tackle box heading to Coota would be:

100mm Squidgy Wriggler in Bloodworm - Can use it to fish all depths slow the retrieve down if the fish are shut down.
Hurricane Fatty - You can slow roll them or a slow twitch twitch retrieve down to about 3 foot. Anzac, Toffee Apple and Gippy Devil good colours.

Still working on my 3-6 choices
Old 09-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Banned

Most types of Vibes fish well at Coota, not keen on naming brands as i've caught fish on a whole range, Vibes and Blades. Darker or Natural Colours have worked well for me.

Hurricane Fatty- Of Course Have not used it at Coota yet but this style of lure goes well at Coota in my experience, it will go well on the flats, others to consider- Brown Suji Chubby, Atomic 38's ect.

Any type of long slender lure like the Double Clutch along the banks deeper dropoffs will probably go well although my experience in using Double Clutches is limited.

Juro Firebaits- They go off at Coota, or any similar style Placcie is very effective from my experience, can be fished anywhere from the deeper water to the shallows and they catch fish.

Stick Minnows- Take your pick Can fish these things almost anywhere.

Don't think i have a list of just six, but these are the type of lures i have had success with at Coota of the years.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:38 PM
Big Bream

Thanks for the replies fellas.

I just had a look at some Juro Firebaits. I've never seen them before. They certainly look the goods. I will buy some. I will also be taking lots of Squidgy Wrigglers. I have heaps left over from my last trip.

I've already got more Chubby's, Atomic 38's, and similiar lures that you can poke a stick at. They will all be going. I will look at buying some Hurricane's too, in the colours suggested.

I already have a few stick minnows, which will be going. I must admit though, I've never had any success with them. I'll give them a go though.

Another of my favourite lures for Mallacoota are Jackall Colt Minnows. These are dynamite on the flats on both bream and flattys.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windknot View Post
Thanks for the replies fellas.

I just had a look at some Juro Firebaits. I've never seen them before. They certainly look the goods. I will buy some. I will also be taking lots of Squidgy Wrigglers. I have heaps left over from my last trip.

I've already got more Chubby's, Atomic 38's, and similiar lures that you can poke a stick at. They will all be going. I will look at buying some Hurricane's too, in the colours suggested.

I already have a few stick minnows, which will be going. I must admit though, I've never had any success with them. I'll give them a go though.

Another of my favourite lures for Mallacoota are Jackall Colt Minnows. These are dynamite on the flats on both bream and flattys.
Hey WK

I've never had much success on the stick minnows until the other day either. The key was to just fish them like you would a blade or plastic, give them really little hops once they've hit the bottom and long pauses are the key. I used them on rocky drop-offs where I was casting on the edge of the oyster encrusted rocks and then letting them sink down on the face of the rock to a reefy bottom, they worked really well and i'm glad to have another style of lure up my sleeve.

Todd
Old 09-07-2012, 09:22 PM
Blue Lip

Matt Ayu Atomic Hardz Shad 50
Ghost Green Shad/Muddy Prawn/Ghost Brown shad - Atomic Crank 38s (depends on water clarity)
Atomic Semi Hardz in muddy prawn on the rock walls and out in the deep 3-5m
Bassday Sugar Minnow 70 slim
Megabass Baby Griffons
Bassday Kangoku Vibs - c83 colour
Bassday Kangoku Shads - c83 colour

Guaranteed to catch plenty of big bream

Follow my fishing travels on Facebook
Old 09-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Blue Lip

1. Double Clutch. Along rocky walls, twitch em hard into the structure and give them big pauses. Big flatties destroy them as well.

2. Tiemco stick minnow. If the bite is shut down I use these finesse style. Slow hops along the bottom and let them sink into the snags. Alternatively can used as a surface lures over the flats during summer

3. Cranka crank/jackall chubby- I like the Cranka colours compared to the jackall chubby. But you need to have a chubby lure to slow roll across the flats and weed edges! Lava prawn, wicked prawn and bling prawn are my standouts! Brown Suji is proven fish catcher! I like the cranka's better because they come with better terminals as well.

4. Bassday's sugar slim 70- my favourite lure to parallel cast along the rocky shores! Small twitches big pauses and you will see results. I like the ayu colours personally.

5. Ecogear CX 35- double up as a wicked bass lure. Can be slow rolled and grubbed across the sand flats, and work well when cast into rock walls and snags. Carmen Red is my favourite colour!

6. Smith Panish DD and normal- proven fish catcher. Use them on the flats with twitch and pause technique. Or use the DD to dive into the bottom along the rock walls!
Old 09-07-2012, 10:36 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Matt Ayu Atomic Hardz Shad 50
Ghost Green Shad/Muddy Prawn/Ghost Brown shad - Atomic Crank 38s (depends on water clarity)
Atomic Semi Hardz in muddy prawn on the rock walls and out in the deep 3-5m
Bassday Sugar Minnow 70 slim
Megabass Baby Griffons
Bassday Kangoku Vibs - c83 colour
Bassday Kangoku Shads - c83 colour

Guaranteed to catch plenty of big bream
I thought you were going to hold it back till after the Coota comp in October!

Monster Miki Addict
Old 09-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I thought you were going to hold it back till after the Coota comp in October!
Exactly what I was thinkin.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:29 PM
Blue Lip

Mate I've had success with many lures but a few stand out,
Topwater- Sammy 65 laser clear
Flats- any blade in sunset colours
Snags- strikepro Pygmy
Deep rockwalls- wrigglers

I reckon it's more about finding them keep moving till you catch one
Old 10-07-2012, 01:13 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt jorg View Post
Mate I've had success with many lures but a few stand out,
Topwater- Sammy 65 laser clear
Flats- any blade in sunset colours
Snags- strikepro Pygmy
Deep rockwalls- wrigglers

I reckon it's more about finding them keep moving till you catch one
Well Done, first one to mention top water.

Im by no means a Coota expert, but nearly all lures work there I prefer cranks for coverage with longer cast,
Atomic cranks in Ghost green
Chubbies
Cranka Cranks
Vibes
and small top water like K9 Pup & Walkers etc
Pointers and D.clutches
Actually just take all your freakin lures haha.

Last edited by Piscateur; 10-07-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:23 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscateur View Post
Well Done, first one to mention top water.
It was mentioned at the OP thread: lure number 3

Monster Miki Addict
Old 10-07-2012, 01:53 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
It was mentioned at the OP thread: lure number 3
Haha good pickup, even smaller than the ones I mentioned.