Lines Fireline vs the rest…who wins?

Old 28-11-2012, 06:07 AM
Blue Lip

Hmmm vb tinnies
Old 28-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailorman View Post
I'm running 6lb sunline super pe on my bream outfit but does not come in 300m spools in anything under 20lb breaking strain.
I bought a 300m spool of 8lb Super PE earlier this year.
Old 28-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
I bought a 300m spool of 8lb Super PE earlier this year.
there ya go

I'll look into this now as I really like the feel of super PE, no wind knots and casts a county mile
Old 28-11-2012, 10:01 PM
Blue Lip

Its a very simple desition if you want a braid for under $40 JUST GET SUNLINE SUPER PE it is by far the best braid in that price bracket.

P.S I hate FINS (rought as hell and wind knots) power pro also disliked.

Am running 15lb super PE on a steez baitcster and it's pretty much flawless.
Old 29-11-2012, 03:38 AM
Big Bream

Fins 15lb - 0.321 diameter. 15.72kg breaking.
Power Pro 20lb - 0.292 diameter. 17.26kg breaking.
sufix 832 10lb - 0.244 diameter. 12.9kg breaking
sunline super pe 15lb - 0.227 diameter. 8.96kg breaking.

mate what size/brand reel is the line going on? no point having a heavy braid if you reel will only put on 10kg of useable drag. better to have more line that will match drag rather than big braid your reels cant meet the needs of.

alot of people ive seen sell reels have like a 4000 size shimano with 30lb braid, pointless.

main thing is to search "true" diameters and not whats on the boxes. most companies will take the thinnest side of the braid and market it as that (even less with most). but braid is not a perfect circle.

99% of the time id recomment sunline pe. but thats only for 6 or 8lb.
i would invest in some Power Pro Slick 8st 0.225 diameter 11.36kg breaking. comes in 300yds.

forget looking at lb when it comes to braids, its the diameter > kg that will determine your needs.
Old 29-11-2012, 07:23 AM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukereneeseth View Post
Fins 15lb - 0.321 diameter. 15.72kg breaking.
Power Pro 20lb - 0.292 diameter. 17.26kg breaking.
sufix 832 10lb - 0.244 diameter. 12.9kg breaking
sunline super pe 15lb - 0.227 diameter. 8.96kg breaking.

mate what size/brand reel is the line going on? no point having a heavy braid if you reel will only put on 10kg of useable drag. better to have more line that will match drag rather than big braid your reels cant meet the needs of.

alot of people ive seen sell reels have like a 4000 size shimano with 30lb braid, pointless.

main thing is to search "true" diameters and not whats on the boxes. most companies will take the thinnest side of the braid and market it as that (even less with most). but braid is not a perfect circle.

99% of the time id recomment sunline pe. but thats only for 6 or 8lb.
i would invest in some Power Pro Slick 8st 0.225 diameter 11.36kg breaking. comes in 300yds.

forget looking at lb when it comes to braids, its the diameter > kg that will determine your needs.

Thanks for the advice mate never actually looked at braid that way, always looked at breaking strain only. I'll be using a daiwa ballistic 3000
Old 29-11-2012, 07:59 AM
Blue Lip

Just gimme a second to let Jason Wilhelm know that his braid selection is pointless lol

Two words broseph, abrasion resistance
Old 29-11-2012, 08:00 AM
Blue Lip

30lb on a 4000 is awesome btw
Old 29-11-2012, 08:25 AM
Mature Bream

my pick would be fins.been using it for years and have never had any probs with it

the whole thing about diameter of fins has never been a worry for me as generally when im using it im using a min of 15lb for jacks and barra, the thicker diameter has always been handy for abrasion resistance.

thanks
Old 29-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Big Bream

nagz: dont know a jason so means nothing to me. 30lb braid on a 4000 reel, who makes a 4000 that has 20kg of drag abrasion resistance... really???? this is tens of mm's not cm's. your not going to get a single advantange with a fish on between 0.292mm and 0.321mm in regards to braid touching rocks, oysters, pillons etc. unless you can prove otherwise?? heard all the stories about blokes using 60lb braid and still geting busted off by jacks. HA! .. is it just because it says on the boxes how abrasion resistance it is?? cos ive also done this test with a heap of braids i have lying around to try prove this point to another.... 6lb 8lb 10lb 15lb 20lb and 30lb all clean split with near nothing pressure run along an oyster.
taking into consideration 15lb on a 3000 reel id say he wont be chasing whiting. any decent fish on load touching a rock, oyster even the boat; 0.029mm difference in every single situation on earth will make ZERO difference... thats just black and white fact... however that little number may make a difference on weather the fish of a life time spools you or actually cuts leader knot. before being a smartass actually know and understand the simple facts infront of you ay.

tailorman - if your predominantly fishing rocky areas go with a waxed braid like Fireline Exceed in the 5kg. doesnt fray as bad as power pro or super pe on soft plastics retrieves. either way power pro and sunline are top braids. like i said way up your drag max (which i'd gather would never be needed anyway) and make that the base point. then the best diameter to breaking strength to come about geting the most line on your reel.
Old 29-11-2012, 09:28 AM
Blue Lip

can always grab the spool to create more drag
Old 29-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Blue Lip

I haven't used any heavier stuff, but I have fins prt in 4lb. I've had not a single drama with it, no wind knots at all yet (been fishing on some pretty windy days),
It has great knot strength, and I reckon it casts fairly well. Tick of approval for mine. I should think that 15lb will be no different performance wise.
Old 29-11-2012, 04:48 PM
Big Bream

I have a stradic ci4 4000 with 30 lb fins for throwing surface plastics at cod and it is well worth it, i had sunline and as soon as it touched a snag it snapped, tried fins and it pretty much cuts the branch in half lol its each to there own really if you listen to every forum and take it as gospal advice your reel will never have line or you will have 18 different spools with everyones suggestions, there is some great advice on these sites from some very very experienced fishos but its really trial and error, try talk to your local to

Matt
Old 29-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Blue Lip

Too true Matt geyer

Jason Wilhelm is probably the most famous impoundment barramundi fisherman in australia.
Can often be seen on ifish, AFC, seven million shimano clips, tackle shows, tt website as he designed a new range of jig heads, runs Barramadness guide service at awoonga dam, the list goes on.
I'm not here to argue with anyone, all I know is that 30lb fins on a 4000 sized reel is a great set up, regardless of how much drag it possesses.
Old 29-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagz View Post
Too true Matt geyer

Jason Wilhelm is probably the most famous impoundment barramundi fisherman in australia.
Can often be seen on ifish, AFC, seven million shimano clips, tackle shows, tt website as he designed a new range of jig heads, runs Barramadness guide service at awoonga dam, the list goes on.
I'm not here to argue with anyone, all I know is that 30lb fins on a 4000 sized reel is a great set up, regardless of how much drag it possesses.
I know the man, I've seen him a few times on ifish. My dream leavers trip was to head to Queensland and have two days with him as my guide. Unfortunately funds did not permit. Still very high on my list of things to do!