Go Back   Bream Master Forums > FishPhart > Cameras and Accessories

Cameras and Accessories What Camera to Buy be it Big or Small and What to Get With it.

Old 28-06-2011, 06:36 AM
Blue Lip

Go Pro Hd & Minn Kota

Today I bought a GO PRO HD to have some fun with in Exmouth this August.Plan to try and capture as much footage as l can whilst away.The gist is to capture a fair bit of underwater footage too so am currently working out how to mount this little sucker to my Minn Kota leg.The advantage is l will be able to control the camera direction during the fight with the foot pedal so as to try and stay with the fight as much as humanly possible.
Anyone else done this before?And if so how were the results.Like to capture my first Pikey Bream on video if possible.Making a few other mounts too for a more hands on approach for under water filming.Spending a fair amount of time in the gulf this year l think so am hoping for some calm conditions with clear water so as to get some good footage.The Cranka Crank35 will be making their debut outing this trip in Exmouths tropical waters cant wait.
Will update when l find a solution to the mount situation.

Cheers Steve.
Old 28-06-2011, 06:41 AM
Blue Lip

Yeah nice one hooked, will be looking forward to the footage.

You should use one of the HD pro mounts held down with a stainless hose clamp, this will assure that it will not move.
Dale.
Old 28-06-2011, 06:47 AM
Blue Lip

No idea how to do any of that. But can't wait to see the results!!
Old 28-06-2011, 06:49 AM
Blue Lip

Oooooohhhh. I have my drift innovations stealth 170HD that im going to take up, but its not going underwater unless there is a major accident. Hoping to get plenty of footage as well. Will bring my computer up so I can edit in each days footage. Hoping to do a bit of a trip doco.
Old 28-06-2011, 06:57 AM
Blue Lip

Not sure what kit you bought but there are bar mounts available. You will have to run your kota deep though. If you don't and there are any small chop or swell I reckon the camera will keep bobbing out of the water. Anyone else fishing with you? Might be better to mount the camera to the end of a pole. I would have a strap fixed to the camera so it doesn't float to the bottom of the ocean if it comes unattached.

The other thing you should look into is another housing. The Gopro underwater footage is SH!@. Google Eyeofmine. They make a housing with a flat lens instead of the curved lens. This turns the footage mega sharp and completely transforms the picture. Take a look at the videos and see for yourself.

Sorry if you know all of this stuff already but I thought I would point it out just incase.

GL
Old 28-06-2011, 07:33 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Boyle View Post
Not sure what kit you bought but there are bar mounts available. You will have to run your kota deep though. If you don't and there are any small chop or swell I reckon the camera will keep bobbing out of the water. Anyone else fishing with you? Might be better to mount the camera to the end of a pole. I would have a strap fixed to the camera so it doesn't float to the bottom of the ocean if it comes unattached.

The other thing you should look into is another housing. The Gopro underwater footage is SH!@. Google Eyeofmine. They make a housing with a flat lens instead of the curved lens. This turns the footage mega sharp and completely transforms the picture. Take a look at the videos and see for yourself.

Sorry if you know all of this stuff already but I thought I would point it out just incase.

GL
Thanks for all the tips Justin wasn't aware of a few points.Got the mount sorted l think.
Found the bar mounts to be crap and flimsy so are making mine out of aluminum and a stainless steel hose clamp as Dale suggested.The unit will have a very short safety line for sure.l know a certain angler here that had the very misfortune of such and accident.Having a pole mount too, will be a broom handle so it will float if dropped definitely look into the housing though thanks for the tip.

Steve.
Old 28-06-2011, 09:45 AM
Big Bream

Thats what I like about Steve hes an ideas manand a magpie.Looked high and low for said anglers cam and couldnt produce the choclates
PB SP 42
Old 03-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Blue Lip

Little update on the mounts for the inpending trip north.Was going to buy the off the shelf head strap but found a better way to film from my fat head.CAPCAM is born and is so much better than the alternative.Really happy with the fit ,almost feels like a comfy cap.
Pole mount is completed and have made it so with the purpose built (broom handle) pictured.It serves as both an underwater pole and a high mount on my console (no pic as yet) so its duel purpose which is cool.It will float if dropped overboard which will no doubt happen I'm sure somewhere down the track so that is an added bonus.
Next is the Minn Kota mount will see what l come up with.

Cheers Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hat mount (1).JPG (67.4 KB, 363 views)
File Type: jpg Hat mount (2).JPG (56.4 KB, 361 views)
File Type: jpg Hat mount (4).JPG (61.8 KB, 361 views)
File Type: jpg Hat mount (5).JPG (57.2 KB, 361 views)

Last edited by Hooked; 03-07-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Blue Lip

Pole mount

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pole mount (1).JPG (22.9 KB, 359 views)
File Type: jpg Pole mount (2).JPG (36.6 KB, 359 views)
Old 03-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Blue Lip

Love your work Steve!

Look forward to seeing the footage!

Cheers
Steersy
Old 04-07-2011, 12:48 AM
Poddy Bream

Have you ever thought about buying the proper pole mount, or a head mount?
Old 04-07-2011, 07:10 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Younan View Post
Have you ever thought about buying the proper pole mount, or a head mount?
Yeah l thought why bother when l can make all the sh!t myself

The head mount on my cap craps all over the uncomfortable head strap mount and the pole mount is stronger than whats on offer from GO PRO plus l like to tinker too
Old 05-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Poddy Bream

What about the fact you are probably going to want to angle the go pro downwards, and being a fish eye lens the brim of your hat is possibly going to impede on the footage. I have used a head strap and have worn it for hours and haven't found it very uncomfortable at all, the straps have a large surface area and are adjustable.
Here is some footage I have caught with it, you can notice what i mean about angling it down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peH8cvHZ7jE
Does the pole mount you have made limit the way the camera can swivel on the pole?
Not having a go at ya, just trying to help they are amazing little devices and can capture some great footage.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:13 AM
Blue Lip

I agree with the angle, however the standard flat mount that Hooked has used will allow for the angle, just not to the same degree, I have also used the head strap and find it very usefull. I also Made a pole, however mine is telescopic, and utilises a screw fitting rather than another flat mount. Also the height of a broomstick wasn't high enough to capture the full back of the boat whilst snapper fishing etc from the rear of the boat.

Well done for tinkering Hooked that all part of the process, at least eqiupment of your own making allows more scope for further adjustment etc.

Look forward to the action.

Here is some Hat cam Footage of my Own...

Footage starts a minute or so in, please excuse the spelling errors, also check the shadow when I land the first barra, you can see the head cam set up...

This footage was shot with the camera angled down about 40 degrees (if 90 degrees is parallel with the viser.

Cheers and enjoy
Old 07-07-2011, 08:54 AM
Big Bream

Awesome footage shauno....have you figured out at all
whats the longest time your able to record hd with a
certain size sd card etc.
Im very interested in buying one would love to know
whats the longest recording time i can get out of one
if anyone knows?

thanks
jase