Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Boats > Hulls

Hulls Come in here to find info on that next boat you buy…

Old 16-12-2003, 12:35 AM
Mature Bream

Boat Question

Hi,

i know nothing about boats, other then they float on water

id like to know how much does it cost roughly for about a 3 m aluminium boat, or dingy ithink they call it + trailer + a decent sized motor?

im curious, if its a fairly well affordable price, ill start saving up so i buy one maybe just after im 18, ( 6 months to go)

Also, insurance if there will be any.

Thanks
Old 16-12-2003, 12:47 AM
Your Friendly Moderator

Hi Chopper

$2000 should see you O.K. for a half-way decent second hand tinny with a 10-15 Hp motor on a trailer.

Have a look at the Trading Post or similar, you soon get a 'feel' for prices, and if you give us an idea of what you want it for (where you want to fish etc.) we may be able to point you towards brands and styles to look at.

Cheers,

Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!

Team BreamMaster Member
Old 16-12-2003, 12:54 AM
Blue Lip

Hi chopper,

I have a 11foot dinghy and it cost a bit over $500 to buy second hand. I wouldn't buy a new one as they are way over priced in my eyes. A mate of mines dad bought a new dinghy the other day for over $2000!!!!!! The sad thing is when he put it in the water its value would have probabley dropped by $500.

A motor can vary greatly. I would again recommend a second hand motor unless you have money to spend. For a small dinghy a 10 horse is plenty but if you want less thats ok. In tassie if its under 4 horse then you don't have to regester it.

Some people forget about the cost of safety equipment and other items such as oars. You need to get these priced. A good way to save some $$$$ would be to by a second hand package with all the gear you need to get started.

hope this helps
eddystone
Old 16-12-2003, 02:01 AM
Mature Bream

hmmm, thanks for the advice guys.

if i decide to save up for one ill be using it at parramatta river and around botany bay. mainly lakes, there is no way ill go out to sea with a bathtub

by the way, a 10 hp motor brand new and second hand, how much does it cost? and what speed would it let me go at?
thanks again

Edit: i wouldnt mind this, is the appropriate for fishing around lakes near parramatta and botany bay etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....ayphotohosting

Last edited by chopper; 16-12-2003 at 02:08 AM.
Old 16-12-2003, 03:40 AM
Mature Bream

That boat is ok if you bear in mind that your usable deck space is not much! But if you dont know much about boats...and what they cost to maintain...perhaps you should look at a newer tinnie and small motor. The one you showed would need rego and you have to get a licence also!

Gibran Khalil Gibran. Sand and Foam 1926.
Old 16-12-2003, 09:41 AM
Mature Bream

Jocool, thanks for the info.

you reminded me, what sort of maintainece do all good boats need?
i always see people hosing down their boats and pumping out the water from the motor, is that all that has to be done?

i think its better for me to save up for a decent sized aluminium tin can, then anything else fibreglass etc.
Old 16-12-2003, 07:33 PM
Blue Lip

Hi chopper,

A 10 horse would go pretty fast on a dinghy such as a 11 foot one. With a 10 horse i have scurfed (skied with a surfboard) behind mine with 2 people in the boat.

So long as you don't have to travel 10's of km a 10 horse would be fine.

You will find there is a pretty big difference between a new and second hand motor. My mates dad bought a 15 horse second hand for around $2000. It was around 4 years old.

hope this helps
eddystone
Old 16-12-2003, 08:38 PM
Mature Bream

2 grand for a second hand motor!!!

damn that is expensive, in my point of view.

ahah for 15 horses, i thought you were going to say 200 buks for a second hand motor.

in that case i would attach 4 motors on my dingy lol

how many km/h can a 10 - 15 horsepower motor take you?

thanks for the info
Old 16-12-2003, 08:53 PM
Blue Lip

Hi Chopper,

I not real sure about speed. With one person in a 11foot dinghy i reckon you wouldn't want to go much faster than a 10 horse will go.

Any faster and it can get a lttle dangerous especially for new boaters. I have had a 15 on mine and thats good for 2 people but for one its probabley a little fast.

I would recommend a 10 becuase it should go fast enough and not burn as bigger hole in your pocket as a 15.

eddystone
Old 16-12-2003, 09:50 PM
Mature Bream

eddystone,

thanks for the advice mate, the reason i asked the questions about the speed and power etc, is not because im young and wanna go crazy on the water, i just need to get a rough idea how fast 10 hp can go etc, and the power it holds.

The thing is, if i go fishing, i never go alone, no matter where it is, i always go with at least one person.

Would a 11 foot dingy with a 10 horsepower motor, be good enough to take around 3-4 people on the boat?

or will 3-4 people on the boat be a major overcrowd?

also if i have a 10 hp motor and a dingy 11 foot, do i need to register it and have a licence?

thanks
Old 16-12-2003, 10:02 PM
Blue Lip

hi chopper,

I usually have one other person with me too. It would be possible to fish 4 people if you really wanted to but would be heaps crowded and not all that safe. I reckon 2 is a good number as it evens out the balance in the boat.

I would imagine you will need a license and rego. In tassie i belive you don't need rego for under 4 horse power (and maybe no license).

Insurance is up to you. Depends on how much you are gunna spend. The more you boat is worth the more likely insurance is a good idea.

eddystone