Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > BreamMaster Job Search

BreamMaster Job Search Share Your Skills Here and Let Members Know What You Have to Offer (Moderated Forum)

Old 05-03-2011, 09:03 AM
Banned

Smile keen for tackle shop opputunity

Heyy guys im just putting it out there ive been on the coast for about 7 years now and am 15 years of age have a decent amount of fishing experience and would love to get into the tackle shop industry around the sunshinecoast mainly kawana area would b great but any offers would b greatly appreciated cheers dylan.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Blue Lip

Firstly, learn to use whole words rather than a letter to represent them, especially within your resume. In fact, on that note, create a resume and hand it to the local tackle shops and chain outlets.

Anacoonda is a good option, they love replacing senior staff with younger people. lol
I fish with hard bodies, soft plastics, live and dead bait. I own Shimano, Penn, Pflueger and Daiwa reels. Shimano, Pflueger, Mojiko, Penn, Silstar and Berkley rods. - Yes, I try very hard not to be bias!
Old 05-03-2011, 09:27 AM
Big Bream

Mate, really not neeeded, shame you didn't pick up that ive should have been I've, Mr Wordperfect.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamelion View Post
Anacoonda
lol!

Not knocking this kid but these days I don't think they teach English anymore at school Chamelion. Had new apprentices at work that can't spell and have shocking hand writing.

Hope you find a job in the fishing industry Breamboy. Good luck on the job hunting mate.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by john & shayne View Post
Mate, really not neeeded, shame you didn't pick up that ive should have been I've, Mr Wordperfect.
Gee, no need to be pedantic mate.

I was giving the lad useful advice. Not everyone is a "spelling and grammar nazi".
I fish with hard bodies, soft plastics, live and dead bait. I own Shimano, Penn, Pflueger and Daiwa reels. Shimano, Pflueger, Mojiko, Penn, Silstar and Berkley rods. - Yes, I try very hard not to be bias!
Old 05-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Banned

cheers fellas thanks for the advice
Old 05-03-2011, 08:30 PM
Big Bream

You were seeking a job in a tackle store and you got tackled!!

Good luck! Some good points brought up indeed! OMG longest sentence I have ever seen!

Hey check this out:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYAnezyZkQM

When you get a job, make sure you don't put a sign of this sort on the front of the shop e.g. LOOS FOR SAEL - bye too get one for free!!! On the other hand could be advantageous for the boss, laughter could attract customers!!!

Last edited by breamdreamer; 05-03-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Blue Lip

Lol @ video

"Bad spelling makes me [sic]"

Ironically, the maker of the video doesn't understand what that means. Sad really.

I think you should give the kid a break. He's probably not putting much effort into the post, perhaps even school, but you can't be sure if he's dyslexic or not.

Oh well, gotta toughen 'em up one way or the other

Young fella you'll be best off sorting out a resume and having a brief chat to a manager in each store possible.
Ask them about their day, if it's been busy, and if they're open to giving a young fisherman a good go.
Be friendly, they want to see you can treat customers with respect and in a professional manner.
You need to demonstrate this by getting along with the manager.

P.S for what it's worth, I failed hard in English. But I'm glad I tried, as I'm now considering approaching a few magazines with articles I've put together.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Big Bream

Having said all that, not everyone spells perfectly. Look at James, Luke, Jarrad, Tom, including Mad Phil, Ian etc, I am sure they are not perfect at all spelling of words but they have a strong impact on the store they work at due to fishing knowledge, personality and great customer service.

Good luck, I've had my Sunday fun!

Last edited by breamdreamer; 05-03-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Mature Bream

Leave-Him-Alone

He's asking a question, if you dont like his spelling/grammer than "leave"
Old 05-03-2011, 09:51 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcqw View Post
grammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcqw View Post
than
....but ... but... but, we just answered all his questions, mate! ... and I'm leaving!

Last edited by breamdreamer; 05-03-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:23 AM
Mature Bream

Old 06-03-2011, 02:36 AM
Mature Bream

Hey Bream Boy
I think it is inspirational for you to want to do this.
If you are really keen find a place you like or have dealt with that you think runs a decent store and are easy to get along with. don't bother just going anywhere
I got a job in a tackle store when i was 14, but i did nearly a year working there for the passion and not pay before i got offered a paying job.
This type of dedication will get you were you want to be, I it also allows you to decide if it is right for you without putting your employer in a tough spot.

My advice is go and offer yourself for free to learn and to earn your place in the store, less of this type of thing happens these days and growing up in a smaller town it was the only way into a job.

I hope it works out for you but i am sure if you do what i said you will get something out of it, even if you dont get a job you will get some new lessons in life.
And wealth in life is not about money it is about experience and knowledge
Be thirsty to learn everything and you will get what you need, also even if it might annoy some people ask loads of questions.
If you dont ask you dont know.

Regards

Dan
Old 06-03-2011, 02:49 AM
Blue Lip

Hi mate

Some good advice has been offered so far. I often get people that come into work looking for a job, and in my oppinion, appearance is everything, if you walk in wearing jeans with holes in them, a dirty crumpled shirt and you generally dont look professional, you probaly won't get a 2nd look. My job maybe a bit different to the local tackle store, but I still sell products in the retail sector, and people tend to respect sales staff more if they are presented well.

A resume is a great idea, perhaps outlining your strengths, passions - fishing - experiance and skills and mention that your willing, energetic and passionate to learn more in the fishing tackle industry. Don't lie, but remember to sell yourself. You want to be better than anybody else that is looking for a job.

Dan has raised a good point, offering to work for the experiance only is a good way to get a foot in the door, but be careful who you do it with. As my understanding goes, it's actually illegal for an employer to hire you without pay and it does leave you open to being used. I'm not saying that this would happen, but maybe only do it with shops that you know the staff already and trust. I wouldn't reccomend it if your applying to work in a national chain of tackle stores.

Its probaly a first job, but if you show commitment and passion and your honest in all your dealings, you'll be surprised at what doors will open for you.

All the best mate.

www.crankalures.com
Old 06-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Blue Lip

Thumbs up

"NEVER,EVER GIVE UP"
DETERMINATION IS THE KEY!!!
IF YOU TRULY WANT IT AND CRAVE IT
ENOUGH,IT CAN BE DONE!!!

Good luck and all the very best to you!

Gae

Quote:
Originally Posted by breamboy69 View Post
Heyy guys im just putting it out there ive been on the coast for about 7 years now and am 15 years of age have a decent amount of fishing experience and would love to get into the tackle shop industry around the sunshinecoast mainly kawana area would b great but any offers would b greatly appreciated cheers dylan.