Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Boats > Hulls

Hulls Come in here to find info on that next boat you buy…

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 19-06-2006, 07:58 AM
pigscuttler

Quote:
Originally posted by Lone Ranger

no life jacket on board as no room

Was "better safe than sorry" another quote I heard?

I spose I wouldn't want to live either if everything else youv'e got there sank
Old 19-06-2006, 08:10 AM
Blue Lip

Nah, don't need life jacket cos I am a woose, if weather is bad, I don't go out! And if I am desperate and looks like it may be bad, I just wear it as too much clutter on board. May look like a dorke but hey what the heck! And my non-boater would have to wear it too, esp when I spent good money for those lifejackets
Old 19-06-2006, 08:24 AM
pigscuttler

No drama's,

Just sounds strange to a Victorian.

Not only do we have to have one for all on board.

But all in a boat smaller than 4.80 must by law ware one at all times except at anchor.

The freedom to make our own choices is totally alien to us Mexican boaters

"save us!!, save us!!,"..... "we need to be saved from ourselves"
Old 19-06-2006, 09:45 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally posted by Lone Ranger
Well, when you are a worry-wart like me lacking in experience, better to be safe than sorry!
Ok in that case Carol I think it essential that you mark out a big "H" on your front casting deck for that chopper to land in case of a treble injury

Seriously tho you are right I like to be prepared for most little contigencies too.

BTW I'm looking foward to the day when you say something like "now that I've had a fair bit of experience..............."
Old 19-06-2006, 10:45 PM
Mature Bream

I tend to carry gear to suit what I'm doing (river , Moore river or ocean) but i will never go out with out a bottle of water and a Mars bar

I for instance on the river don't carry jackets or even a anchor..Its not legal requirement and with a electric motor i don't see the need..However will say that i also consider my boating experience to be well over the norm.

Something else i like to carry especially for our style of boats is some sort of emergency bung..something even as simple as a heavy duty very dense sponge will surprise in a situation..
On my boat i have a screw on cap that fits onto the outside (intake) of my live bait pump..Turn that fitting around and it jams in tight into my overflow skin fitting..My bilge pump outlet is above water line so all my external fittings below water line have emergency bungs

Check out Bunnings and Clark rubber..You'll find what your after easier than you may think..
Old 19-06-2006, 11:11 PM
Mature Bream

Spares

One thing I have found useful is a pack of cable ties, I have used these a few times when things have broken on the boat and trailer. Even used them when some mongrel low life stole my safety chain shackles on the trailer.
Cheers,
Ron.
Old 20-06-2006, 12:22 AM
Blue Lip

Sorry Ron but how are cable ties going to hold the boat to the hitch if it jumps off? Maybe I misread your post
Old 20-06-2006, 01:25 AM

Thumbs up Don't rely on flares in Mandurah

Just a quick heads up about relying on flares down this way!!

1. Vol Sea Rescue don't man the radios except weekends from 6am - 6pm in winter!.

2. They don't take the rescue boat out except for weekends either

3. Spotted a parachute flare a couple weekends back at sea near the cut, bout 11pm! Reported same to police. They sent a car - who headed off to the nearest boat ramp on the beach to look for empty trailers etc to get a handle on anyone overdue from rego! No car or trailer - cops got bogged on beach!
Pulled cops off beach, with 4wd & chain - they gave up and went off to do something else!
Went to south groyne of Cut and found burnt out parachute flare casing on ground behind P Platers commodore, who were fishing the beach by then!

Basically if the police cannot confirm a sighting from a phone call or flashing their headlights bluelighst to sea (or estuary) and see a second flare, they just write the flares off as a hoax and investigate no further.

Without a phone call from a concerned relative or a second flare that the police see themselves - they will not send any boats aircraft etc etc to search for you - if you let off a flare!

(I know this coz the same kids let off another flare from the same position the next week at the same time! - Again ignored by police, because this time they saw it themselves and declared "over land, not water - ignore!"...

Now around here with the amount of wate in the estuaries canals, rivers and ocean - theres more water than land, so choosing to ignore a sighted flare is a big call - but THAT is what the police do unless they can confirm the sighting as a genuine distress situation.

So - you need to realise that flares on their own WON"T get you rescued without the police either finding your car trailer and checking with next of kin, or getting a phone call from you, or concerned relatives etc to say that there diefinitely is a need to rescue you.

Remember theres no one monitoring the radio at night!

So - please don't place too much faith in flares - even if seen chances are they will get ignored! I know you think a EPIRB might be overkill for inland waters - trust me - if you want any help in these parts iot's the minimum you should carry!

Also - the estuary down here is 11 miles across!

That means - in a boat - if you go out into the estuary - you need OFFSHORE flares (Para) to be legal if stopped, as inshore flares won't pass muster with the fisheries transport people!

All things to consider if running comps in Mandurah at say the Upcomming boatshow in Oct etc!

Cheers!
Old 20-06-2006, 02:58 AM
Mature Bream

I might be wrong ( there will eventually come such a day) but i believe the estuary to inclosed waters and therefor you only still by law need to carry a bilge pump or bucket..No Jacket, anchor or flares...STupid law i know and even i would carry a bit more gear down that way but its not neccasry by law
Old 20-06-2006, 03:28 AM
Mature Bream

Thumbs up

Sorry to double post but i just double checked with Rod Bishop who is infact one of Mandurah's original Officers and he confirmed that the estury is infact still classed as inclosed water ways..The same as the river

Now as i said you should consider the extra distance and carry gear to suit but you don't have to rush out and by Offshore flares
Old 20-06-2006, 03:56 AM

Question Interesting!

Comments came from someone stopped without the radio and offshore flares!

Apparently the warning was to not get caught again without same!

Is the estuary declared inland (protected) waters or only parts of it (within 2 miles of shore?).

Like I said, the comments came from someone stopped with inshore flares & no radio in the estuary - cautioned for not having radio & offshore flares due to size of the estuary once your out of the channel up to Mandurah!

Not hard to be more than 2 miles from shore was the comment...

Haven't stopped me, so I can't comment, only pass on what was told! (I have everything anyway so it is irrelevant!).

Would love to see something "written" to confirm this!

Designated protected waters seems to be something on Marine Safety (Transport) seem to have anything published on and getting anything outta them is like extracting teeth!

Cheers!
Old 20-06-2006, 04:20 AM

Found this but it's a little anbiguous!

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/imarine/recboating/1235.asp

Found this link but it's a little ambiguous IMHO!

Says inland waters are protected with exceptions but mentions rivers lakes and estuaries - but not inlets!

Is an inlet part of the ocean - specially where you can be more than 5 miles from a mainland shore?

Nornalup inlet Peel Inlet etc - are they estuaries? Many now claim that due to the cut - that the Peel inlet is a marine embayment with the Section north of the cut being an island connected to the mainland by 2 bridges!

Someone needs to define this specifically IMHO if the local Fisheries/Marine Safety are going to interpret it as more than 5 miles from a mainland shore and issue cautions!

On a CALM day for a little crabbing tis a lovelly place but on a crap day with stroms etc can be a nasty peice of water with 11 miles of reach for the wind to stack up waves over shallow bottom makes for bloody ordinary boating conditions!

For me it's no effect but not so sure about you guys in river boats!

For exmple!

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/imarine/recboating/1187.asp

Quote:
In protected waters such as rivers, lakes and dams and within 400 metres offshore, the PFD can be Type 1, 2 or 3. When in unprotected waters, more than 400 metres offshore, the PFD must be a Type 1 and flares must be carried.

Distance Offshore

All boats under 3.75 metres (12 feet) in length (including personal watercraft), must stay within five nautical miles from the mainland, unless they are within the limits of a port or within one mile of any island.
All seems a little ambiguous to me depending who you get stopped by and what brochure they are reading at the time!

Cheers!
Old 20-06-2006, 05:17 AM
Mature Bream

Yeah its all abit up there. But thats why i just ring and ask and that's what the big Cahona for Mandurah said..

I think if you check on the map it is listed as inland water way, not actualy protected water way. Protected is like Cockburn sound or even between the main land and Rotto is considered protected waterways.

Hell up in Darwin the entire sound is actually protected water ways and that's not a nice stretch of water either

If you want clarifiaction ring them and ask for Rod Bishop he'll help you out..
Old 20-06-2006, 05:41 AM
Mature Bream

in my boat

Hey guys
One thing i found i could not do without after i flipped the boat in Mandurah was insurance.

Make sure its up to speed and all your gear is listed you can insure right down to yhe last pack of sp if you care too

one thing i found was if your insurance is say 10k and your claim is close to this amount in motor damage and lost gear alone you insurane company may choose to right the boat off so infact you loose your hull trailer the rest of your your listed gear sounders gps etc. or they may choose to use the % insured method your boat and acc = 20k you insurace =10k or 50% so they pay you 50% of your claim 5k this i can tell you from experiance suck a big one

I bet they dont get me next time

Also i now tie alot of gear in the boat with light rope because an awfull lot of gear just floated away ............bugger
Old 20-06-2006, 11:07 AM

Question Who with

Interesting,

Who's the insure with if you don't mind my asking? (Maybe PM me if you don't want to say publicly!).

Just reinsured mine today with a new co and saved 1/3 of previous premiums with better cover!

Am working on something tomorrow - might be able to do something for breamers as a group maybe, in the way of a much better deal!

Cheers!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: