Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Vehicles > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-2016, 07:38 PM
Mature Bream

Updating tow car

Just after some thoughts/advice.

My boat is a 4.5m Bluefin Side Console with a 60hp Yam 4 stroke. Ive never weighed it but it came from the factory as under 750kgs so I assume it is. Even so Im a cautious person and had good quality brakes fitted after buying it. Lets say worst case its 8-850kg fully wet. Id be shocked if it actually is though...

My current car is a Pajero Exceed Diesel that Ive had for about 10 years. Its still going strong but with kids grown up and independent Im just thinking its time to downsize a bit. I don't go "off road" as such with it and originally bought it when I was still bike racing as an economical tow car that could store all my gear. So now apart from towing the boat it just gets used as a car. So Im leaning towards a smaller soft roader of some sort. I still like the economy and urge of diesel so intend to stick with that. Although the boat doesn't weigh a huge amount living in Canberra I have to drag it up and down the mountains to get to the coast and don't want something I have to thrash to do it. I know Pathfinders,Colorados etc are better 4Wds and I guess tow cars but they wont suit my usual needs as well as something a bit more car like.

So my short list at the moment is
(Soft roaders)
Mazda CX5
BMW X3
Volvo XC60

Possibly more traditional 4WD but still closer to a car.
Hyundai Santa Fe/ix35
Kia Sorrento/sportage

In my price range these cars will have done around 100ks, some more some less. So does anyone have any experience of any of these cars? Reliability, servicing costs and especially how well they tow? Ive read some stuff about the CX5 not transferring drive to the rear wheels well but you can always find someone to have a whine on the Internet. The BMW and Volvo are pretty upspec and Ive no experience of them. Power and Torque on their motors are pretty hot though.

Last edited by Sprinter; 02-10-2016 at 07:43 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: