Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Lines

Lines Fireline vs the rest…who wins?

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014, 01:37 AM
Blue Lip

My thoughts on SAS Braid

Just wanted to give a very quick write up on the SAS 6lb braid I used over the break.

It’s crap.

I lost a siglett, a t pivot and a soft shell cicada to this alleged fishing line. Using 4lb leaders the braid broke on two occasions losing me the first two lures. After the first bust off I doubled the braid and tied a doubled improved slim beauty Still broke at the braid. Then I pulled 15m of braid off hoping it was a weak spot and tied a doubled uni knot directly from the braid to the lure. This also broke on a nice fish on the take. Never before have I been so frustrated fishing. I ended up ripping the lot off my spool, grabbing a spool of 4lb leader and spooling up with that. Unsurprisingly I lost neither fish nor lures after I did this.

For the braid to break in your hands while tightening a knot to 4lb leader is a joke. Steer clear of this stuff unless you feel like donating some lures to the fish gods.

FYI I was using about 600g of drag pressure on a 2004 daiwa which has a max drag of 2 kg.

I have used braids from almost all major companies in the past and this by far was the most disappointing. I would have preferred a spool of JW Hercules to this torment.
If they're on, I'll be late, if it's quiet, I'll be late."
Old 02-01-2014, 01:49 AM
Mature Bream

i found it really poor as well. i had the 8lb and had many random line breakages and wind knots. then changed to toray super strong pe and it was great. sounds to me that there are a few bad batchs going around.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:57 AM
Blue Lip

Price is one off thing qualities a life time hahahha

But seriously

Well get all the lovers going u just got a bad batch blah blah blah

I agree I didn't like it
Old 02-01-2014, 05:05 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamm View Post

But seriously

What?
Old 02-01-2014, 05:32 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuan View Post
What?
My thoughts exactly
Old 02-01-2014, 05:34 AM
Blue Lip

I had no trouble understanding.

Last edited by manno; 02-01-2014 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Trouble spelling though...
Old 02-01-2014, 05:40 AM
Mature Bream

It falls into a similar basket as nanofil knot wise but haven't had any premature failures in the 6 months or so I've been using it. Been using 6lb for bream and 12lb for snaps.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:56 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamm View Post

But seriously

I agree I didn't like it
+1
Old 02-01-2014, 06:22 AM
Big Bream

I use the 12lb and have had no trouble with it until just the other day when I was throwing around a ZX blade when I cast it and the braid snapped
Old 02-01-2014, 06:29 AM
Blue Lip

I had it and hated it in 12lb also hate the super pe in 8lb was snapping the same as yours mate. Ive gone back to basics and using fireline exceed cant complain.Hanging out to use the new exceed.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:58 AM
Fingerling

Your very first comments are as quoted below

'It’s crap. '

and then

"Steer clear of this stuff unless you feel like donating some lures to the fish gods. "

It really isn't telling the forum viewers your experience, the post points out that you are disgruntled with a product, expressed your views, which to say the least border on being defamatory, and bad mouth a product.

I would like to reword some of your post.

"I went fishing the other day and tried a new product. How did this perform, Not overly well !. I was a little concerned about the quality as I lost lure and fish due to it breaking. I tried multiple times to tie again and it broke in my hands, but above the knot. Due to my limited time I de spoiled and re spoiled with fluro and started to fish again.

I will contact the company to say what I thought and see what they say. It could be possible a bad batch. "

Albeit short and sweet do you get where people are coming from. People get on here and be keyboard hero's, hiding behind names and pretending to be someone they really are not, I'm not saying that about you, I don't know you. What I am saying though everyone these days are happy to make a quick comment on the forums and start a war of words. Some people and companies watching may think it is great, I just think it is sad. I have never read a product REVIEW in a mag stating a product is Crap, they may not like it but they choose their words. I don't care if I'm sponsored by someone or not, bashing companies and people on public forums is crap. It is no less than bullying at times and defaming companies, products and people.

Do I want everything to be rosy NO, just a bit nicer. As it has been said prior contact the company, he even put his number up for you. You never know he may have even replaced a lure or given you extra braid to compensate.

A little story about some braid when I started, NO NAMES, I purchased my first role of braid, spoiled it and found it melted in the middle. This is one of the biggest companies around. I have access to forums but never mention it until today. Didn't rant and rave to mates. I contacted the company and after a long discussion they sent me 10 different weight spoils, plastics, apparel and a lot of other stuff, and a letter. They were grateful that I gave them feed back. I was over the moon, I gave a heap of line to mates as I only had two rods then. I still tell people about that as you attract more bees with honey than vinegar.

We do all have a difference in opinions and I feel that this will get read and dumped. We have all made mistakes, but it takes a better man to admit, hey I just did this wrong and fix it.

No one is denying you and others may have had a bad experience, it is how you act about that make you stand out from the crowd.

Happy fishing and tight lines, I hope your experience get better and better.

My rant is over, I wont be buying into anymore, just another sad day in fishing to have this happen. BTW - post your real name up.

Andrew Prince
Old 06-01-2014, 10:02 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpharipper View Post

'It’s crap. '

and then

"Steer clear of this stuff unless you feel like donating some lures to the fish gods. "

It really isn't telling the forum viewers your experience, the post points out that you are disgruntled with a product, expressed your views, which to say the least border on being defamatory, and bad mouth a product.

"I went fishing the other day and tried a new product. How did this perform, Not overly well !. I was a little concerned about the quality as I lost lure and fish due to it breaking. I tried multiple times to tie again and it broke in my hands, but above the knot. Due to my limited time I de spoiled and re spoiled with fluro and started to fish again.

I will contact the company to say what I thought and see what they say. It could be possible a bad batch. "

Albeit short and sweet do you get where people are coming from. People get on here and be keyboard hero's, hiding behind names and pretending to be someone they really are not, I'm not saying that about you, I don't know you. What I am saying though everyone these days are happy to make a quick comment on the forums and start a war of words. Some people and companies watching may think it is great, I just think it is sad. I have never read a product REVIEW in a mag stating a product is Crap, they may not like it but they choose their words. I don't care if I'm sponsored by someone or not, bashing companies and people on public forums is crap. It is no less than bullying at times and defaming companies, products and people.

Do I want everything to be rosy NO, just a bit nicer. As it has been said prior contact the company, he even put his number up for you. You never know he may have even replaced a lure or given you extra braid to compensate.

A little story about some braid when I started, NO NAMES, I purchased my first role of braid, spoiled it and found it melted in the middle. This is one of the biggest companies around. I have access to forums but never mention it until today. Didn't rant and rave to mates. I contacted the company and after a long discussion they sent me 10 different weight spoils, plastics, apparel and a lot of other stuff, and a letter. They were grateful that I gave them feed back. I was over the moon, I gave a heap of line to mates as I only had two rods then. I still tell people about that as you attract more bees with honey than vinegar.

We do all have a difference in opinions and I feel that this will get read and dumped. We have all made mistakes, but it takes a better man to admit, hey I just did this wrong and fix it.

No one is denying you and others may have had a bad experience, it is how you act about that make you stand out from the crowd.

My rant is over, I wont be buying into anymore, just another sad day in fishing to have this happen. BTW - post your real name up.

Andrew Prince
Couldn't agree with you more mate... if I had called up the company and had no help from them saying to bad it's a bad batch then ill be furious. But the fact that you can call them and most likely they will send you out another spool for no charge that's when ill review the product and give it a rating with some kind words and not a knife threw the heart.

I personally have 15pd sas and cant fault it mate. Have another crack at it and see how you go mate.

I own a restaurant and a bad review like yours mate can honestly shut a business down.

Please I don't want to get into a war of words that's just my honest opinion.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:23 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Couldn't agree with you more mate... if I had called up the company and had no help from them saying to bad it's a bad batch then ill be furious. But the fact that you can call them and most likely they will send you out another spool for no charge that's when ill review the product and give it a rating with some kind words and not a knife threw the heart.

I personally have 15pd sas and cant fault it mate. Have another crack at it and see how you go mate.

I own a restaurant and a bad review like yours mate can honestly shut a business down.

Please I don't want to get into a war of words that's just my honest opinion.
I hear what you're saying mate and if bad feedback can be so damaging then you would think making sure there is nothing to complain about is number one priority.

I also find it bemusing that everyone reckons I should have grabbed up my discarded line, chucked it in an envelope and sent it to these guys after giving them a call and talking through my issues so they could run it through their testing apparatus only to tell me what I already know... It was dodgy line.

As with any dodgy purchase I have made in the past I want less of it not more of it. Much easier for me to grab a new spool of braid that I know works stick that on instead of back and forth-ing with a company who has let me down before.

If SAS had wanted to help me out in private they could have sent me a Private Message after reading the initial post. I would imagine that would have cut this a fair bit shorter and it wouldn't be on the front page of one of the country's biggest fishing forums.

How about instead of offering me (a lost cause) a new spool give one to a young bloke/girl who can't afford a dozen spools of posh braid like some of the more tragic of us on here.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:08 AM
Blue Lip

If you were a member of this community and not just a blow in trying to have a crack at someone criticising a brand you are associated with, you, like many anglers on here, would know who I am. I have never hidden behind my keyboard under some form of anonymity. I have always been happy to put my name to my thoughts.

My name is Ross Gould so you don't have to look it up or become part of the active community on Breammaster.

I have spent years contributing to Breammaster and would like to think that some of that time spent discussing topics here has helped others getting into or furthering their interest in the sport.

I am full of opinions, one of which is that I reckon people should buy brands of braid other than SAS.

Your comment about defamation is full of it. Something that is true can never fall under the category of slander, defamation or libel.

I wrote most of the gear reviews back when I was with the fishing magazines and believe me if a product was crap it was written up as such. Sure you can't use language like in the wild-west of the internet but not all reviews are glowing. To that extent, if SAS sent a line into the magazine and we got the results I got fishing with it, it would have received a very poor review.

The line I was fishing with was SAS 6lb braid and it was utter crap. The line broke randomly and caused me to not only lose fish but lures. If you can't accept that your mob put a sub par product out into the market place to be purchased then that is your issue to deal with. The fact that not every spool is crap is not a great argument either. I just had the misfortune of using it. Having it cost me time on the water and money out of my pocket in lost lures.

If SAS isn't happy with this and the resulting posts on this and other forums then they should have tighter QA processes. SAS should never be telling an end user that they were wrong to tell others about their experiences with their products and that I should have kept quiet and dealt with the maker directly.
The SAS braid I used was crap and I am happy to tell the users here who value an honest opinion instead of one swayed by sponsorships and commercial agreements. Fishing forums like this are one of the only places left to get un-filtered feedback on products and services.

Why should I waste my time calling up the manufacturer and arranging to put more of your "Quality Assured" "Run through the fingers of the man himself" braid on my reels?

I don't have the time nor the patience to throw second chances to tackle companies. I don't use the other braids listed previously for that exact reason.

I unlike you don't want to become buddies with SAS or call up and spend a long time on the phone to get free stuff off a manufacturer. I want braid that holds up to going fishing. I tried to do that with SAS braid and it failed me in spectacular fashion.

Now that all has been said and done I will be watching with interest to see how much more you contribute here on the site or whether you have just popped in to stick up for your mates/sponsor and will nick off when this all blows over.

Thank you again for sharing your opinion, I look forward to hear more of your insight on other non SAS related topics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpharipper View Post

'It’s crap. '

and then

Andrew Prince

Last edited by Online store; 08-01-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:42 AM
Fingerling

I have no idea what your problem is, I merely stated you could have worded it better.

Your opinion does matter as does anyone's else's. I am by no means a blow in, I have been watching for a long time, just because I don't comment. Yes I am sponsored but as I said not make no difference here. I have to buy the braid as well and if i was to get a faulty one I would ring him. If the product is faulty there are better ways to deal with it. You my friends seem to think this may be the only way, as you quite bluntly have put it.

If you re read the last post, I don't know you and stated I wasn't calling you a keyboard hero, but if you want to be small minded and think that by all means.

The point I was making is that some, use forums for a medium to bash others. If you think the finger is being pointed at you, I apologies.

You are not worth arguing with so I'm going to sit back as I have done for years and watch. I wasn't attacking you as you have on me, I suggested that re wording what your post said would have gone down a lot better. You can still say the exact same thing, and I don't have an issue with you doing that, just in a different way.

I also have no issues if you got some bad BRAID, I have a spool of it in front of me right know, PM your address and I will send it to you, not because im sponsored but because I think you need to sit back and appreciate that there are some decent people out there that you shouldn't just crap on.

You seem to just want to fire people up, no one is saying they didn't ship bad stuff, although you are implying that, the people associated with the company were trying to help, but you don't seem to want that just want a fight. Please correct me on that one, I wouldn't want to make a wrong assumption.

And by the way, I don't contact companies to complain to get free stuff, I do it so it gives them a chance to fix it without trying to destroy them. Trial by media is what it is all about know, very sad for everyone.

Please PM me if you would be happy to try some more, I have had it here for a couple of months so it wouldn't be some I had picked just for you.

Andrew
Closed Thread