Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Getting Started

Getting Started If you’re new to the Sport then this is the forum for you.

Old 16-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Mature Bream

been a interesting fishing out of the boat as ive been landbased for all my life.
after a bit of trial and error I'm onto a method thats been gettin me a bit of a result!

Ive been fishin regular jewwy haunts on the way inbetween bream spots if im in the right tide/timeframe (anytime within 1hr each side of slack tide)
if theres no hits or fish on the sounder after 10-20mins i stop at another jewwy spot or go breamin...

I found drifting with the tide along a deep dropoff hopping blades+ vibes works ok, had a fish on yesterday that was wayyy bigger than the majority of little 1-2ft rats gettin around, felt around a meter or so, was on for a few mins till it wore down the 6lb rock fc with some Mega headshakes.

when i get the chance again, im gonna grab some 12-20lb rockFC +its gonna be on like donkeykong

Last edited by topwater; 16-09-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 18-09-2012, 08:01 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwater View Post
been a interesting fishing out of the boat as ive been landbased for all my life.
after a bit of trial and error I'm onto a method thats been gettin me a bit of a result!

Ive been fishin regular jewwy haunts on the way inbetween bream spots if im in the right tide/timeframe (anytime within 1hr each side of slack tide)
if theres no hits or fish on the sounder after 10-20mins i stop at another jewwy spot or go breamin...

I found drifting with the tide along a deep dropoff hopping blades+ vibes works ok, had a fish on yesterday that was wayyy bigger than the majority of little 1-2ft rats gettin around, felt around a meter or so, was on for a few mins till it wore down the 6lb rock fc with some Mega headshakes.

when i get the chance again, im gonna grab some 12-20lb rockFC +its gonna be on like donkeykong
Get that 20 pound leader! You will thank yourself for is especialy when you fish landbased. I have lost some awesome fish over the corse of time landbased on light gear, and now i never go under 15 pound braid and 20 pound leader from the shore. Of course if your in the boat though out comes the 6 pound
Old 18-09-2012, 11:52 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkeenbreambo View Post
Get that 20 pound leader! You will thank yourself for is especialy when you fish landbased. I have lost some awesome fish over the corse of time landbased on light gear, and now i never go under 15 pound braid and 20 pound leader from the shore. Of course if your in the boat though out comes the 6 pound
I do the same landbased, 15lb with 20lb leader, lost to many fishing to light before but in saying that i could've got away with a lot lighter last week, i lost count after a dozen but the biggest only went 52cm, not a lot of fun on 15lb. Could guarantee what would've happened had i gone lighter though.
Old 19-09-2012, 12:05 AM
Mature Bream

I ended up gettin 16lb sunline rock fc so its abrasion resistance would be way higher like 20-25lb mono/fc +should do the trick, and in 15-30ft of murky water i dont think its too heavy...

Ive got a bit of a method sussed, wish me luck Im goin saturday to see if i can snare my 1st big daytime schoolie on bream gear
Old 19-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Mature Bream

Good luck on Saturday mate!! As for leader I really don't think they are leader
shy at all. I wouldn't go less than 20lb and know of guys using 50lb and getting great reults. All depends how harsh the country your fishing in is!
Old 19-09-2012, 08:00 PM
Mature Bream

i fish deep holes in really shallow creeks. 1.2m that drop down to 6m. using 20lb is a bit underrated for me as i always get blazed with the bigger models. but i have landed 78-92cm models on my 2500 sienna with 15lb. Berkley powerbaits are good aswell as brighter coloured gulp. also a fresh tailor can provide a good bait if your lucky to get one.
hope this helped zc
Old 19-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
I ended up gettin 16lb sunline rock fc so its abrasion resistance would be way higher like 20-25lb mono/fc +should do the trick, and in 15-30ft of murky water i dont think its too heavy...

Ive got a bit of a method sussed, wish me luck Im goin saturday to see if i can snare my 1st big daytime schoolie on bream gear
its too light been a bream fisho, i started with 12 and 10 pound but quickly realised that jewies dont require anywhere near the same degree of finess as bream and started to fish 20-25 pound leader with no dramas with reduced strike rate... and i still got busted off last weekend
Old 20-09-2012, 02:42 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkeenbreambo View Post
its too light been a bream fisho, i started with 12 and 10 pound but quickly realised that jewies dont require anywhere near the same degree of finess as bream and started to fish 20-25 pound leader with no dramas with reduced strike rate... and i still got busted off last weekend
ok will get some 20 aswell one day cheers mate,
but i'll give the 16 a go as its only being used on 2-4kg stick and 2500reel with 6lb braid LOL

not to woried about being busted off on structure just the abrasion of monster headshakes
Old 20-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
ok will get some 20 aswell one day cheers mate,
but i'll give the 16 a go as its only being used on 2-4kg stick and 2500reel with 6lb braid LOL

not to woried about being busted off on structure just the abrasion of monster headshakes
Yeah fair enough, that 16 pound should be enough to prevent any jewie escape in open country and so will your gear should be fine, but if there is so much a single oyster covered rock in the area the chances are that your going to get done over All you need to do now is add some 15 pound to that 2500 and find a really light 3-6/ 4-7 kg rod and you'll be set!
Old 22-09-2012, 07:19 AM
Mature Bream

ha only managed a few lil soapies today, lost a few too, but proof of concept for our method...
we know what lures are workin, time, tide and location that works now all we gotta do is just keep pluggin away and pray for some bigger schoolies to cruise on through

Last edited by topwater; 22-09-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 22-09-2012, 03:31 PM
Blue Lip

do you's all recommend a deep & slow retreave ?
Old 22-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreamBox View Post
do you's all recommend a deep & slow?
thats what she said, lol!
sorry just kidding breambox,

yeah mate in my experience 99% of our jew are caught deep n' slow with plastics, big hb's, vibes ,blades....
hb's - slow roll
plastics, blades+ vibes - lift and hop, slow roll.
try a few 3-4ft lifts, few twitches, let it drop and rest on the floor and repeat process

but theres allways exeptions too, I'm sure the boys on here gettin them on bent minnows, wake baits, poppers etc can chime in and recommend a different approach...
Ive only witnessed a few days when its going off here on the richmond that that would work in that way so Its not my strongsuit.

Topwater.
Old 22-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Mature Bream

oops double post
Old 23-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
thats what she said, lol!
sorry just kidding breambox,

yeah mate in my experience 99% of our jew are caught deep n' slow with plastics, big hb's, vibes ,blades....
hb's - slow roll
plastics, blades+ vibes - lift and hop, slow roll.
try a few 3-4ft lifts, few twitches, let it drop and rest on the floor and repeat process

but theres allways exeptions too, I'm sure the boys on here gettin them on bent minnows, wake baits, poppers etc can chime in and recommend a different approach...
Ive only witnessed a few days when its going off here on the richmond that that would work in that way so Its not my strongsuit.

Topwater.
I second the above, it is not every day you see jewfish busting up on baitfish (although it does happen) in sydney harbour and the cowan creek area, so i usually work the plastic fairly sowly just off the bottom, though i have found while using Zman Swimerz and Squidgy slickrigs they dont mind a bit of speen thrown in
Old 23-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Mature Bream

Got this guy on jig on saturday morning, not a huge fish (low/mid 70's) but awsome fun on a pe1 jig rod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jew 2.JPG (228.4 KB, 98 views)