Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 15-02-2012, 05:58 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangroveMick View Post
1 year old branzino It needed all new bearings and a new anti reverse and cost me $225
Happy to be corrected, buy for a 1 y.o. reel, surely, the new anti reverse should be replaced under warranty I would have thought?

Monster Miki Addict
Old 15-02-2012, 06:39 AM
Mature Bream

I had two steez's only one year old. One seized up and the other was on its way to doing the same. Sent them to daiwa through my local tackle shop.

Daiwa said it was my fault, yes i did open them up to put more grease in them and as it turned out tightened up a screw that had become loose but that was it.

They tried to sting me $400, a whole new gear set in each reel, for the fix which we got down to $240 which my local paid for me.

So my first experience with daiwa wasn't great, however i have two new certate's which when in need for service will be going straight to daiwa.
Old 15-02-2012, 08:36 AM
Blue Lip

holy cra@ this is what scares me about the really high end reels i got a certate 2004 but im scraed to go higher i recon when reels start to cost more than good rifles somthing is a bit funny a good rifle will last for life.
Old 15-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
Sent my Steez of last week to be serviced. It needed a new reverse knob and new bottom cover piece because I cracked them when I dropped it. Cost me $60 total for a full service and those 2 parts replaced and I got it back in 8 days!!! Who said Daiwa have bad service!
Do you know someone inside? I tend to hear differential treatment given to a few particulars who have Daiwa contacts.

Needless to say, I'm a little at some of the repair costs put up here. When I got my Luvias serviced, it took a while, but it wasn't expensive from memory.

I have to say Daiwa sound a little judge jury and executioner with their FAQ.

Quote:
We see many reels sent in for warranty claims that have suffered terribly from saltwater ingress or that have been pulled apart and reassembled incorrectly, resulting in damage that Daiwa Australia is in no way liable for. Our warranty covers manufacturing fault or flaw and over 90% of reels sent back to us for warranty do not fall into this category. Time wasted sorting through non- warrantable issues, directly affects and increases the wait time for service and legitimate warranty claim clients.

Despite what some may think, no one knows our reels like we do and one washer or shim out of place or non OEM grease alerts us very quickly that the reel has been apart. We Always Know!!!
Hahah.... we always know.

http://daiwafishing.com.au/?p=9866

All the gear, no idea
Old 15-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Big Bream

"I know that you know that you know that I know"
Old 15-02-2012, 04:16 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayman View Post
Do you know someone inside? I tend to hear differential treatment given to a few particulars who have Daiwa contacts.

Needless to say, I'm a little at some of the repair costs put up here. When I got my Luvias serviced, it took a while, but it wasn't expensive from memory.

I have to say Daiwa sound a little judge jury and executioner with their FAQ.

Hahah.... we always know.

http://daiwafishing.com.au/?p=9866
No I don't know anyone at Daiwa. I wish I did haha. Maybe some complaints have made Daiwa pull their finger out lately?

Daiwa have every right to not cover corrosion issues under warranty. I'm sure they have seen enough cases to tell the difference also!

I think $200 bucks for new a new gear set (and bearings in Micks case) and a service is actually a fair price. Add it up, labour isn't cheap in this country.
Old 15-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Big Bream

It was only for the bearings and roller clutch, the gears were fine. I think the price was outrageous! Especially for a reel that was 12 months old!

"Like" my page on Facebook to get all the updates.
https://facebook.com/micksgonefishing
Old 15-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangroveMick View Post
It was only for the bearings and roller clutch, the gears were fine. I think the price was outrageous! Especially for a reel that was 12 months old!
Sorry misread it, for some reason I thought you said the gears also. But even still I don't know what those parts cost Daiwa and what they charge for labour. Say they charge $50 a hour for labour and retail for the parts on top of that. Adds up quite quickly!

Did they say it was salt water that stuffed the bearings?
Old 15-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Big Bream

Nah they didn't say.

"Like" my page on Facebook to get all the updates.
https://facebook.com/micksgonefishing
Old 18-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Big Bream

I've been reading these forums for a while and from what I can see Daiwa reels seem to have more problems than Shimano. I'm not saying that one is better than the other but just an observation.
Old 18-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Big Bream

here we go, popcorn anyone ???
Old 18-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Mature Bream

As someone from here said it before "servicing a reel is just as much as servicing a car".
Old 19-02-2012, 12:34 AM
Mature Bream

guys.....reels are not like cars.luckily they are all simple mechanical.not complicated at all as there's no wiring involve at all etc....
most reels just need a good through clean up n lube where is needed.bearing are only replaced if they're really shot,otherwise remove both shields and clean em as well.easy as peas.
from what i read,most technician wont bother with the bearing cleaning process first cos its a bit more time and resources consuming.well,fastest way would be to replace and bill you for it.some bearing flush might takes a few go to get em cleaned.even the one you think is shot is worth a clean first to see how bad it is.
worst comes to it especially the roller bearing is to clean n flush and then pack em up with grease.even if its a bit shot,you wont even realize the difference between a new and the shot ones once its been done properly.
yeah i know,a lot of labor and resources involve in resurrecting a bearing but at $20+ a pop,its worth a go if you want to DIY that is...
Old 19-02-2012, 07:30 AM
Mature Bream

Yeah fair call mate, Cheers.
Today whilst cleaning my reels I noticed a little (probably 6-7mm wide) black O-ring had split and was sitting on the towels I was using and for the life of me I don't know where it come from but there was 3 reels sitting on the towel LOL.

anyone care to have a guess?
Old 19-02-2012, 07:38 AM
Blue Lip

I will have a good guess

I would say you have removed your spools off when you cleaned them
It is the the o ring that holds the bearings/spacers down on the shaft
down near your clicker component of the reel.
You will see a groove around there just above the spacer or bearings where it is from.