Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Lines

Lines Fireline vs the rest…who wins?

Old 01-05-2016, 03:27 AM
Mature Bream

2 nd spool unitika in the bin!

Unitika PE2. Have never tried this line before, gets a rap on line. BUT the first spool I threw away was a PE6 8 lb kept on breaking. Today I was trying to tie a knot in the PE5 6 lb I have and couldn't tie one that didn't break. Tested it and it was breaking at 3 lb. It is now too in the bin. I have 2 8 lb on reels and an unopened 6lb. I have lost faith in this line! No the line rollers are fine. No there are no cracked runners. I pulled 40 meters off the 6 and it still broke at 3 lb!

Last edited by bluefin; 01-05-2016 at 03:36 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:13 AM
Big Bream

Just spooled up my exist with this braid PE.8 hopefully doesn't happen with me. That's unfortunate man i have the same braid in 6lb that I've been using for ages now with no problems! Can i ask what knot your using? Is the line snapping at the knot or random places?

Last edited by Bash; 01-05-2016 at 05:34 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:32 AM
Mature Bream

Run the line off the reel, wrap it around some scales, and it breaks between the scales and the reel.Just makes 3 lb.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:59 AM
Blue Lip

I swear there is some logical reason this happens to people. You see it time and time again on this forum, people buy a spool of braid, it falls apart on them, they get it replaced only to find the same thing happen again and it always happens to the same people.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:04 AM
Mature Bream

Solution: buy fireline
Old 01-05-2016, 05:10 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsenaeef67 View Post
Solution: buy fireline
*problem
Old 02-05-2016, 09:06 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella fella View Post
I swear there is some logical reason this happens to people. You see it time and time again on this forum, people buy a spool of braid, it falls apart on them, they get it replaced only to find the same thing happen again and it always happens to the same people.
Can't agree more
Old 02-05-2016, 05:31 PM
Mature Bream

I still have 8 lb on 2 of my rods . The reel is a Stradic ci4+ 1000. the rod is a Shimano TK3G 732, 2 to 5 kg 7'2'. Quite a soft tip. drag set at about 2 lb. Yesterday I was fishing a 1/4 jig head with a 2.5 '' dragon maggot in red. I was using a quick lift off the bottom,the Flathead around here engulf the SP on the drop, then sit quietly on the bottom until you lift the rod.I felt the weight then ping. Broken again between the rod and the water surface! The line floats so i tried chasing it, but wasn't quick enough. Ive had the runners and the reel roller checked and there OK. Haven't had any line wraps around the runners that could bruise the line. I bought 5 of these spools 3 x PE6 and 2 PE5. I don't like what is happening. ANY suggestions greatly appreciated.

Last edited by bluefin; 02-05-2016 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:56 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella fella View Post
Bad batches happen, its happen to me on line I used to swear by. So the above is a pretty unfair statement.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:11 AM
Mature Bream

Sorry guys Yes it is 0.5 and 0.6 My apologies.

Ok. Found the problem!! If you test the line with a straight pull. It's good! It's very thin, very smooth, casts well. I target a lot of Flathead. I let the lure sink to the bottom, then lift it up fast. The Flathead around here take it on the drop then sit quietly on the bottom. When you lift and there is the weight of a fish on the end,POP. It does not like sudden tension on the line. I can wrap it around my hands and pull slowly and it cuts my hands. Give it a sudden pull from no tension, and it breaks easily.
Thanks Howard.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:07 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscateur View Post
Bad batches happen, its happen to me on line I used to swear by. So the above is a pretty unfair statement.
It's not an unfair statement at all. All I am saying is that I have observed that the same people have had the same problem multiple times with the same line that other people use without a problem. I'm not suggesting that perhaps bad batches don't happen, or that anyone is doing anything wrong, just that there may be a common denominator causing the issue that could be as simple as something like a solvent, soap or lubricant that people use at work or home that may cause the line to degrade.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:00 AM
Mature Bream

So your saying ?? Please tell me why line that has never seen the light of day, and has only been on the reel 2 weeks is breaking so easily. A lot of the braids you mention break very close to their stated. Unlike a lot of others which are thicker for their stated rating and break double that. This is rated at 6 and is breaking a lot lower! My very first SP rod and reel I bought from Warren ( Bream Master ) it was a Hartland rod, and a Daiwa regal Z reel. Which, Warren, is still going. So I've been around for a while and used a few different braids, river, beach and off shore.

Last edited by bluefin; 01-05-2016 at 06:31 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:06 AM
Mature Bream

I used to think Unitika was one of the best lines but after a bit of use I had a few random breaks here and there, it was kind of like it was deteriorating with age. Changed over to Daiwa j braid, fairly thick in comparison but I am hoping to get a bit better life span see what happens I guess.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:16 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzza View Post
I used to think Unitika was one of the best lines but after a bit of use I had a few random breaks here and there, it was kind of like it was deteriorating with age. Changed over to Daiwa j braid, fairly thick in comparison but I am hoping to get a bit better life span see what happens I guess.
J braid is good for the price but delaminates on the first outting. It get's thicker with age as well and colour loss is substandard. A similar braid which has better characteristics is Gosen 8 casting braid which is amazing imo.