Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Lines

Lines Fireline vs the rest…who wins?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 24-07-2015, 08:35 PM
Poddy Bream

I received a spool of the 4kg in what looks like a white color. There are some that are going to like this stuff but there are some who like Nanofil.

It is very thin but is not supple. You can hold several inches straight out and it will remain parallel with the ground. Knots will be a challenge because it appears to have a coating, similar to wax. Does not have the flat profile of Nanofil, like dental floss, a round profile for the most part. I tried it on a Vanquish 1000S spinning reel, casts fine, floats like braid, might be sensitive but I won't be giving it any more time on the water. It wasn't a complete waste of money because I will never buy another yard.

There is thread on the IdiotTour forum where one member has made a concerted effort to convince others that it is a good product, a real advancement over Nanofil. Might be a shill.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:30 AM
Fingerling

found another store stocking it
http://www.dinga.com.au/fishing-tack...ex-hybrid.html
and mo is stocking it as well
unfortunatley not in the colour that my girl wants anyone know whos stocking the pink one
Old 04-08-2015, 06:41 AM
Mature Bream

The Cranka Crab of fishing line .............
A must have .
Old 18-05-2016, 09:41 AM
Big Bream

Here are my experiences using 11KG white WFT Gliss.

Using it to spin 40gm Busted Metal Slugs on a Daiwa 3000 Morethan. Over a Morethan 10ft rod.

Incredible wind knots 7 in a space of three hours.

Incredible breaking strain I landed a 5ft grey nurse ..... yes a grey nurse shark on a slug from the beach. Which i had hooked in its top dorsal fin in under 5 minutes. I saw the shark take off nearly at my feet and clamped down alot of drag thinking oh well ill bust off on this before im spooled. I had it beached within minutes.

Improved abrasion resistance to braid, the line rubbed right up against the length of the leathery shark and it did damage but considerably less then i would have seen from a modern 8 carrier braid.

Accounted for half a dozen 50cm tailor, with no random breakages or bust offs.

I will never ever buy another spool though for spinning, spinning on beaches for salmon and tailor relies on minimal to no wind knots. I dont want to stand on a beach tying 7 FG knots in a 40km westerly.

Its cheap its VERY strong and abrasion is better then braid. BUT wind knots are my pet hate. Losing 40m of GLiss at 45 dollars for 300m isnt as bad as 40m of braid at 80 dollars for 200m. However there is no way in the world i will ever put myself though another FG tying party like i had last sunday.

( For anyone worried the grey nurse was released looking pretty healthy, lets hope seeing one on the beach is a sign they are coming back from the brink )
Old 18-05-2016, 10:15 AM
Blue Lip

Bought two spools myself in the 4kg and no problems whatsoever.

One wind knot about 3rd last runner on the 3Zero 1-4kg but that was occuring with the exceed on the same reel & rod combo at the same rate. Must be down to line management using small surface lures?

I wouldnt say its thick and self supporting while being held and nothing like new Fireline Exceed.

Tieing knots yep back to the double uni and holds well.
Old 18-05-2016, 09:28 PM
Blue Lip

Hey Laddercat. What's the diameter of the 11kg gliss?
The reason I ask is, I do a lot of fishing pretty much as you described and with almost identical gear. My line of choice is Duel Hardcore X8 PE 1.5.
A mate recently tried the Duel in 0.08 and had all sorts of problems with wind knots and guide wraps and after he respooled with 1.5 all issues were fixed.
I'm just wondering if its a diameter issue rather than the line itself with the gliss?

EDIT: Just had a bit of a search and found 11kg gliss listed as 0.18mm. Seeing that's just a smidgen under PE 1.2 so line diameter shouldn't be the cause of your issues.
There's my theory proven wrong.

Last edited by Green Hornet; 19-05-2016 at 02:15 AM.
Old 19-05-2016, 06:18 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
Hey Laddercat. What's the diameter of the 11kg gliss?
The reason I ask is, I do a lot of fishing pretty much as you described and with almost identical gear. My line of choice is Duel Hardcore X8 PE 1.5.
A mate recently tried the Duel in 0.08 and had all sorts of problems with wind knots and guide wraps and after he respooled with 1.5 all issues were fixed.
I'm just wondering if its a diameter issue rather than the line itself with the gliss?

EDIT: Just had a bit of a search and found 11kg gliss listed as 0.18mm. Seeing that's just a smidgen under PE 1.2 so line diameter shouldn't be the cause of your issues.
There's my theory proven wrong.

It might be a stretch but i think line rollers might be contributing to the issue i just dont think there is a reel on the market designed with gliss in mind. As such there are quirks, I could see gliss being very good for working structure for bream jacks or cod. Shorter casts less chance of knots and benefit of abrasion resistance and strength.

Cant say enough good things about the hardcore x8, it and YGK jigman x8 are in my opinion the best value 8 carrier braids on the market. Their strength to diameter ration leaving popular "value line " like j-braid in the dust. Not too mention far smoother profile. I have had 12 carrier kohga on a jigging reel and cant tell the difference between it and 12 carrier saltiga, i havent tried 12 carrier morethan which theoretically should be the best matched to a shore based spinning outfit. Im not sure if these different 12 carriers actually have different qualities or if they are just marketed as different. Back in the day Saltiga surf braid was most certainly different from its casting variety but i cant seem to tell with the new 12 carriers.

Last edited by laddercat; 19-05-2016 at 06:35 AM.
Old 19-05-2016, 07:45 AM
Mature Bream

So I'd never heard of gliss before reading this thread and my new Sustain 1000 arrived this week so I got it spooled with 4kg white / clear gliss this afternoon. Amazingly thin for 9lb line, my sustain took 100m of mono backing and the 150m spool of gliss. Felt supple, and not stiff at all.

Can't wait to wet it in anger.
Old 19-05-2016, 08:00 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggy_B View Post
So I'd never heard of gliss before reading this thread and my new Sustain 1000 arrived this week so I got it spooled with 4kg white / clear gliss this afternoon. Amazingly thin for 9lb line
Its actually thinner than 3lb Shooter FC...
Old 25-10-2016, 10:13 PM
Mature Bream

How close is this line breaking to stated line strength ?
Old 31-10-2016, 03:23 PM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnie View Post
How close is this line breaking to stated line strength ?
Tested several spools of 18 and 24 lbs. Only found one spool where the unknotted strength is the same as the label strength. The rest were under by about 3 lbs. 18 lbs has an ABS of 15 lbs and 24 lbs has an ABS of 21 lbs.

Factor in knot like Alberto an Albright which are typically 50-60% knot and the real world knotted breaking strength is less than half the label strength.

FG knots in Gliss 24lbs and below, however, is a high 90%+ knot strength, but only 70% in 40lbs.

So FG in 24 lbs comes in at 18-19 lbs and 13-14 lbs in the 18 lbs test.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:55 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaholik View Post
Tested several spools of 18 and 24 lbs. Only found one spool where the unknotted strength is the same as the label strength. The rest were under by about 3 lbs. 18 lbs has an ABS of 15 lbs and 24 lbs has an ABS of 21 lbs.

Factor in knot like Alberto an Albright which are typically 50-60% knot and the real world knotted breaking strength is less than half the label strength.

FG knots in Gliss 24lbs and below, however, is a high 90%+ knot strength, but only 70% in 40lbs.

So FG in 24 lbs comes in at 18-19 lbs and 13-14 lbs in the 18 lbs test.
Thanks for the reply..
Old 29-06-2017, 06:53 AM
Mature Bream

Re-lifting this thread to draw out some 'long-term user' feedback if available?
Old 29-06-2017, 07:27 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhet View Post
I'd still be using it if l didnt go trying J Braid... stripped it off and mucked up on the spool while taking it off at warp speed so damaged it.

Then managed to find out J Braid was garbage... So had to go back to bckup spool of Berkley Tournament Exceed Fireline...

I still rate it!
Old 29-06-2017, 07:44 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhet View Post
I've been running it for a solid year now. It's certainly not as abrasion resistant as traditional braids* but is about half the width, half the cost, cast further, gets less wind knots and is smooth as silk. Knots can be a pain in the arse, just because it requires a few extra wraps and needs to be an FG/slim beauty.
Below I'll attach a couple of pics showing some abrasion I experienced while running it straight through to a plastic. Sill managed to land this salmon after 20 mins of fighting it shore based on a 2-7lb rod giving it as much drag as the rod would handle.

*This is kind of subjective and really a moot point when you consider the fact that if you manage to cut 50% of the way through 6kg gliss on structure you still have 3kg of strength left to play with, whereas if you were to do the same with the equivalent diameter sunline you'd be reduced to having 1.5kg of breaking strain left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gliss knot.jpg (381.7 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg salmon.jpg (366.0 KB, 89 views)