Go Back   Bream Master Forums > FishPhart > Cameras and Accessories

Cameras and Accessories What Camera to Buy be it Big or Small and What to Get With it.

Old 25-09-2010, 02:12 AM
Big Bream

thanks phil,for the info. TB your spot ,i really dont know what i need or want, i would be taking pic just for personal use & getting the odd good shot printed on a larger scale just for myself,being someone who likes to know the in`s & outs of the gear i use & get right into what ever is involved ,i just don`t want to get a camera that i find in a year a have outgrown ,potential wise & need to upgrade , i would rather spend the extra cash now , with out going fully pro & grow into the camera if that makes any sense, thanks for all the time, you have put into this,trying to help out much appreciated.
Old 25-09-2010, 02:41 AM
Big Bream

yo Evil,

If you go the 550d you will have a camera that will do what you want for a long time to come. It has low noise (grainy bits in the pic) at hi ISO, has the same sensor as the more pro 7d and shoots HD video at good frame rates. To be honest it is probably the best entry level DSLR on the market at the moment to cover both stills and video.

To keep your lenses "future proof" (remembering that you can pay more for glass than your camera body) it will pay to invest in L series Canon glass. Fast (F 2.8 and faster)canon glass is expensive, the best value for money L series zoom is the 17-40 f4.

here is a link http://www.the-digital-picture.com/r...ns-review.aspx

Not only is it cheap for L glass (under a grand) it is light (which you want) and if you really take to photography and want to upgrade to a full frame sensor Canon (5D and whatever else they bring out in the future) you have a great lens that you can use straight away. If you get lenses only made for a crop sensor camera then you can not use these lenses on a full frame camera.

Just what i think anyway and what I have just convinced myself to buy.

Sweet!

Phil
Old 25-09-2010, 04:11 AM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnev View Post
thanks phil,for the info. TB your spot ,i really dont know what i need or want, i would be taking pic just for personal use & getting the odd good shot printed on a larger scale just for myself,being someone who likes to know the in`s & outs of the gear i use & get right into what ever is involved ,i just don`t want to get a camera that i find in a year a have outgrown ,potential wise & need to upgrade , i would rather spend the extra cash now , with out going fully pro & grow into the camera if that makes any sense, thanks for all the time, you have put into this,trying to help out much appreciated.
You can almost relate fishing gear with camera gear, and the most important and common point is that in the right hands any gear will be able to catch good fish/take good photos. Initially your choice in photography gear won't matter as much until gain the experience to recognise and appreciate dedicated equipment - much like fishing.

You should consider gear for the future but the reality is, no matter how well you foresee it, it still ultimately depends on how far and fast you go with your photography in those first couple of years. You might upgrade to a 1DMkIV in the next month, or you could continue to use the 550D for the next decade. The same goes with fishing gear for beginners, IMHO upgrading and outgrowing your gear is part of the progression.

It can be a daunting process, but there's been some great advice from everyone already and with it you'll be a long way from going wrong. Personally I started with some very basic gear (camera body and a $120 lens - the nifty fifty) which I used for well over a year before I really started getting in my photography and bought 4 in a matter of weeks. Resale value of lenses in good condition is fairly static and I wouldn't consider any of my non-L series lenses a waste of money.

Sometimes you just need to start on fireline to appreciate varivas.
Old 25-09-2010, 05:03 AM
Big Bream

Hey I still use Fireline, Ha!
Old 25-09-2010, 05:11 AM
Poddy Bream

Haha, well I still use my 50mm 1.8

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: