Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Rods

Rods Get the goss on what’s hot, and what’s not...

Old 28-02-2018, 07:20 AM
Fingerling

Samurai Infinite v Edge Black Widow ?

Hi, I’m looking for a high quality breaming rod. Both Samurai and Edge will do the job. Is the difference in quality/build etc worth the $300 price premium for the Edge Rods? And what about other rods such as Dobyns etc? Thanks
Old 28-02-2018, 07:32 AM
Blue Lip

What are you going to use the rod for?
Can't comment on the samurai but I've got a couple of edge rods.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:30 AM
Fingerling

Bream around Port Stephens oyster leases and estuary on hard body lures, cheers
Old 01-03-2018, 04:30 AM
Big Bream

I have a samurai infinite but its the 3-8lb and I guess you would go lighter. Its a great rod. I really like the reel seat and the titanium torzite guides. I find mine balances well with a 2500 sustain. As with most lighter samurai rods the blurb says they are "fast" rods. I would say its more of a medium taper. It casts well and is very sensitive.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:55 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLuvski View Post
I have a samurai infinite but its the 3-8lb and I guess you would go lighter. Its a great rod. I really like the reel seat and the titanium torzite guides. I find mine balances well with a 2500 sustain. As with most lighter samurai rods the blurb says they are "fast" rods. I would say its more of a medium taper. It casts well and is very sensitive.
That is a very fair and accurate assessment of the 3-8lb. I found the same. Maybe a tad tip heavy but a true alrounder rod with great sensitivity and attention to detail in the build.

The edge rod, I have one black widow 6-8lb and it's less on the bling - think back to Gloomis/NRX kind of cosmetic detail but the sensitivity and action is incredible.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:36 AM
Poddy Bream

Buying Brand is not the same as buying performance.
Mount a reel with line onto the rod (I take one of my own with me) put the line through the guides and run some lime out. Then with a bit of tension on the line, reel in.
Watch the line on the stripping guide.
If it follows the guide all the way around its ok. If it scoops the bottom of the guide till half way then flicks over to the other side of the guide.....its perfection for casting the stripper is in the correct position for the reel.

Next with the line through the guides invert the rod so its upside down, load it up slowly and watch the line between the guides. When the line is JUST touching between tip and first guide , the line distance between the remaining guides must have a gradual increase of stand off . ANY line touching the blank is telling you the guide spacing is crap and no matter how magnificent the blank is suppose to be , the rod is a dud, designed by a dud and built by a dud.

The blank has a native curve its natural bend/load........guides placed so that they preserve that use everything the blank has to offer. Misplace a guide and it subtracts from the entire blank and misloads the guide before and after.

Finally, if the dealer has a few of the same hold the tip in one hand and support the blank about 3/4 up. Gently lift the butt off ground and roll the tip. An aggressive backbone is detramental to accurate casting with light bream lures.
With a spinning rod a person might want cast power so the max resistance is put under with the guides so when you cast the rod is resisting and will unload to assist your cast.
This rod will be a good ultralight. With the opposite a person will have more lifting power ....its subtle but it really does make a difference.

Cheers
Old 01-03-2018, 08:45 AM
Blue Lip

All rods come down to personal preference. For use around oyster leases/racks I use an ISR702. Great jerkbait and topwater rod however I don't think it's a great crank rod. If you want to slow roll cranks around the leases then maybe consider the samurai or as above look at a gloomis offering.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:36 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjg View Post
Hi, I’m looking for a high quality breaming rod. Both Samurai and Edge will do the job. Is the difference in quality/build etc worth the $300 price premium for the Edge Rods? And what about other rods such as Dobyns etc? Thanks
Only you can determine if the price difference is worth it. Diminishing returns, etc. Edge rods are fantastic, IMO, Samurai not so much.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:11 AM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sBlackjabiru View Post
Buying Brand is not the same as buying performance.
Mount a reel with line onto the rod (I take one of my own with me) put the line through the guides and run some lime out. Then with a bit of tension on the line, reel in.
Watch the line on the stripping guide.
If it follows the guide all the way around its ok. If it scoops the bottom of the guide till half way then flicks over to the other side of the guide.....its perfection for casting the stripper is in the correct position for the reel.

Next with the line through the guides invert the rod so its upside down, load it up slowly and watch the line between the guides. When the line is JUST touching between tip and first guide , the line distance between the remaining guides must have a gradual increase of stand off . ANY line touching the blank is telling you the guide spacing is crap and no matter how magnificent the blank is suppose to be , the rod is a dud, designed by a dud and built by a dud.

The blank has a native curve its natural bend/load........guides placed so that they preserve that use everything the blank has to offer. Misplace a guide and it subtracts from the entire blank and misloads the guide before and after.

Finally, if the dealer has a few of the same hold the tip in one hand and support the blank about 3/4 up. Gently lift the butt off ground and roll the tip. An aggressive backbone is detramental to accurate casting with light bream lures.
With a spinning rod a person might want cast power so the max resistance is put under with the guides so when you cast the rod is resisting and will unload to assist your cast.
This rod will be a good ultralight. With the opposite a person will have more lifting power ....its subtle but it really does make a difference.

Cheers

Great reply, thank you for the tip.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:49 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sBlackjabiru View Post

Cheers
What does an "aggressive backbone" mean?
Old 28-05-2019, 05:47 AM
Big Bream

I have a few Edge Black Widow rods in spin and baitcast. Amazing rods

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: