Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Getting Started

Getting Started If you’re new to the Sport then this is the forum for you.

Old 18-03-2015, 06:30 AM
Big Bream

Try a lighter jig with a longer pause. My local EPs like a 20-30 sec pause

They also liked a longer popper with a short twitch over plastics

Tough code to crack, when you do, it's great fun.
Old 18-03-2015, 05:05 PM
Mature Bream

lighter jighead isnt really an option. When i was there yesterday, i watched the tide change in a matter or minutes, rather than a longer time you would get elsewhere in WP.
Old 18-03-2015, 06:42 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratbags View Post
Try a lighter jig with a longer pause. My local EPs like a 20-30 sec pause

They also liked a longer popper with a short twitch over plastics

Tough code to crack, when you do, it's great fun.
Interesting. I think I can count the amount of times I've caught perch after super long pauses on one hand. These days I'm fishing heavier jigheads with shorter pauses as I've found moving targets get them going. Guess it depends on the day and the system too
Old 18-03-2015, 08:16 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by The G factor View Post
Interesting. I think I can count the amount of times I've caught perch after super long pauses on one hand. These days I'm fishing heavier jigheads with shorter pauses as I've found moving targets get them going. Guess it depends on the day and the system too
I can't think of a time when I've caught an EP on a plastic, then again, I never target them with them. Hard bodies, bents and walkers, vibes and DOA Prawns (technically a plastic I guess) but never a fish or wriggler style. And never paused like for bream.
Old 18-03-2015, 09:25 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg-panelvanman View Post
lighter jighead isnt really an option. When i was there yesterday, i watched the tide change in a matter or minutes, rather than a longer time you would get elsewhere in WP.
that area and further along the coast there has such a huge tide compared to PPB so when im out that way i fish hardbodies and as mentioned really heavy plastics . Chasing perch you can fish a floating lure as i dont have long pause wither ( as mentioned ) .. so fishing deep hardboadies means your getting down deep , but also you can float them up over rocks and snags ..

The area doesnt really lend it self well to LB as you've mentioned

Fish Tec Solutions

http://www.fish-tecsolutions.com/
Old 19-03-2015, 10:04 PM
Mature Bream

did everyone hear the loud, long list of extreme expletives from the tooradin area about 10mins ago.

so...
decide to go for a fish with our work experience kid as he works with us thurs and fri.
Using the same set up as yesterday started flicking around the edges of the system.
Cast along...lift...bump...fish on. ... big run out to the middle away from the bank...yell at the young guy to keep an eye out incase we dont land it. ...another big run...got no idea what it is. ...get a bit of line back...theres the leader...silver flash...Perch...big tail on it...few more runs...more silver...thats not a perch...thats a bream...big bream...
crap, how am i going to land this...quick get down to water and grab the fish...how am i going to it...gonna get wet feet...loosen drag...holy crap thats 35-40 easy... gonna look good online...mate il walk it up...u grab the... ...gone.

*insert 5 minutes of extreme expletives*

all i wanted was one photo... now i just have this empty feeling...

devestated to say the least.
Old 19-03-2015, 11:56 PM
Mature Bream

So, did the kid learn anything? Something tells me that this will only strengthen your resolve!
Old 20-03-2015, 12:03 AM
Mature Bream

looking at it know, its been a good experience. Gonna get a small net to carry around with me.
It was one of the panic moments that a million things go through your head and then it all goes pear shaped. I keep thinking that if i was by myself i probably would have landed it because i would have taken my time a bit. But because there was 2 of us there i figured it would be easier with 2 people and that he would know to grab the fish, not the line.
But ive just settled down now :/

and yes
i cant wait to get back there again.
Old 20-03-2015, 02:07 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by The G factor View Post
G, the creek I fish has minimal tidal impact due to the sand bar plug, have tried the faster retrieves and watch them follow & no EP takers. the long pause has worked best. reading XG's post, the tide & no net are testing his resolve!
Old 20-03-2015, 04:40 AM
Mature Bream

part one of resolve checked off...bought myself a small, folding, telescopic net before.
not gonna have that happen again...

i think i have finally calmed down after loosing that. I reckon its the first big fish ive ever lost once ive seen it.
Old 20-03-2015, 11:31 PM
Blue Lip

So I read your post .... and I easily spotted where you DohDohDohDohed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg-panelvanman View Post
... gonna look good online...
Without a lie - everytime I've had a fish on and thought about the picture I was about to take or the post I would make on this site ..... I've dropped it lol.

But the good news ..... you're connecting to decent fish and that my friend is more than half the battle. You're doing it right if you're hooking up so have confidence in what you're doing and persist and it will happen.

I've dropped a lot whilst learning and I still hurt from a month or so ago when I know I dropped my PB - really its just about keeping a cool head and not unnecessarily over-pressuring them. And yeah a net is a good idea
Old 22-03-2015, 10:11 PM
Mature Bream

so had a quick wander down today again at lunchtime today, but no luck.

problem i believe was that the tide is out. No where for the fish to hide so they (im assuming) look for deeper water, and in that they tend not to feed or be as aggressive.

So with that, if the tide is low as it was (bottom of the tide), should i just stay at work or try something different.

heres what it looks like at low tide, the second pic shows where i snagged the other fish the other day. There would be 1.5-2mtr tide drop.

Old 22-03-2015, 10:21 PM
Blue Lip

Following

I struggle fishing "big" rivers like that too. Impossible to know what's under there without a sounder or trial and error.

My approach so far is I'll periodically throw a heavy carolina rig around. If I get a fish it's a bonus - what I'm really doing is trying to find structure on the bottom I can't see that I can then target with more effective presentations.

The predators should be where the bait is and usually near moving water. So all the talk is about fishing channels and drop-offs at low ... But in reality when faced with the picture above it doesn't mean much really - where's the deeper channel lol?

I think possibly move lower down the river and fish deeper structure ... But if you're fixed to the one spot not sure what you can do really ?
Old 22-03-2015, 10:30 PM
Mature Bream

il get a few photos of the other area i fish, but yeah... low tide...where the bloody hell are they.
Old 22-03-2015, 11:41 PM
Blue Lip

A question I ask myself many times. Bridges and pontoons I think. But if they are there they're not biting. I need to get off my backside and fish lower - theoretically the bait moves down with the tide so the predators would follow or setup ambush waiting for the conveyor belt to feed them. Generally though what I do is not fish at low tide there. But I do think there is a challenge there that needs cracking

Low tide for me looks like this. As far as I can tell the middle is just a concave-ish mud bottom about 3m deep at the most and pretty much a desert.

NFI where the bream go.