Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > BreamMaster Job Search

BreamMaster Job Search Share Your Skills Here and Let Members Know What You Have to Offer (Moderated Forum)

Old 09-10-2010, 01:10 AM
Fingerling

fishing apprenticeship/traineship?

Heyy guys im looking for a traineship or schoolbased apprenticeship on the sunshinecoast ina tackle store or the fishing industrie any info would be greatly appreciated?
Old 19-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Blue Lip

Trainee pretty much just means they pay you bugger all until you learn the ropes. Apprenticeship is the same but for longer. Not that I think you can get a apprenticeship in a tackle shop, it's only retail.

I dont think they are very selective of the guys most of them employ, alot seem to know bugger all or they think they are the only guys that have ever cought a bream on a lure and most of their comments imply that there would be no possible way you could outfish them. Most of them dont own boats cause they cant afford them and they dont get to fish much cause their friends that have boats work during the week . If you are fishing every weekend and have been for a few years, I reckon you have fished more and probably know more about fishing than these guys. Just let them have their little world. DONT TURN INTO ONE OF THESE GUYS

There's not really much of a future unless you buy one or work for a major wholesaler or one of the large chain stores and work your way up. Retail is not good pay. They know they can get heaps of guys to fill your position so a raise if probably out of the questions unless you are making the owner some serious coin because of your knowledge and friendly ways. Work your ass off and fish hard, one day you might get offered a decent job. Dont hold your breath.

Very negative, but a serious point to look at.

Cheers
Chris
Old 19-03-2011, 11:52 PM
Mature Bream

Wow bb did you get attacked by a group of disgruntled DohDohDoh workers or something?

Stormrep your best bet would be to go talk to your local tackle stores and ask them if they have any positions vacant if they do write up a resume and send it in to them.
The GOOD tackle shops are selective of who they put on and reward hard work and knowledge, if i were you i'd look for an established local store with good clientele.

I have a few mates that work/worked in the tackle industry. One of them worked at the local boat shop in the tackle section,while there he made some good contacts throughout the industry and used them contacts as stepping stones to better his career. He is now a state rep for one of the brands he used to sell at the tackle store, they pay him good money, full use of the company car(brand new bt-50) with a fuel card and phone, not bad for 24 year old with no prior qualifications.

I have other mates who still work at tackle stores they are well payed and looked after aswell as being very good fishos, but end of the day they work there because they love what they do.

If your after an apprenticeship you could try a boat builder or boat motor mechanic.

Cheers Kyle.
Old 20-03-2011, 12:08 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tug speedman View Post
Wow bb did you get attacked by a group of disgruntled DohDohDoh workers or something?

Stormrep your best bet would be to go talk to your local tackle stores and ask them if they have any positions vacant if they do write up a resume and send it in to them.
The GOOD tackle shops are selective of who they put on and reward hard work and knowledge, if i were you i'd look for an established local store with good clientele.

I have a few mates that work/worked in the tackle industry. One of them worked at the local boat shop in the tackle section,while there he made some good contacts throughout the industry and used them contacts as stepping stones to better his career. He is now a state rep for one of the brands he used to sell at the tackle store, they pay him good money, full use of the company car(brand new bt-50) with a fuel card and phone, not bad for 24 year old with no prior qualifications.

I have other mates who still work at tackle stores they are well payed and looked after aswell as being very good fishos, but end of the day they work there because they love what they do.

If your after an apprenticeship you could try a boat builder or boat motor mechanic.

Cheers Kyle.

HAHAHA I have been offended by a few ignorant staff

They are not all that bad, it's always the bad ones that get remembered

Like Said above you can end up being a rep that gets much better pay. There are limited positions, Every body on this site would like those jobs .

Like I said before Work your arse off and fish heaps, you will be rewarded if you put in the effort. Make yourself know, fish comps, post your efforts on forums.

Cheers
Chris
Old 10-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Mature Bream

I work in the industry. Theres not money in it unless you own a wholesale business or DohDohDoh!
Old 10-08-2011, 03:13 AM
Mature Bream

may be a silly Q but what is this 'DohDohDoh' i keep seeing about?
Old 10-08-2011, 03:31 AM
Banned

Jeez there may not be a lot of money in it but doing something you enjoy within your passion is usually far more important at the end of the day. Give it your best shot buddy and see how you like it, your young enjoy it while you can before you have a heap of responsibities. You neverknow where it could take you unless you get out there and give it your best shot.

As for apprenticeships you won't get any in the tackle/retail industry but there are Retail Traineeships not focussed on Tackle Industry though.

Follow your passion mate, too many people get stuck in jobs they hate, they may earn good coin which is nice but it is not everything and it amounts to nothing if your heart is not in it.

Last edited by Breamobsession; 10-08-2011 at 03:37 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:56 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrod View Post
may be a silly Q but what is this 'DohDohDoh' i keep seeing about?

Good Question!!!
Try type in b.c.f (without the .dot.) and see what you get?
Old 10-08-2011, 04:08 AM
Mature Bream

I'm sort of with Bobby Bass here. Forget working in retail. Far better jobs out there than that.
Being an Apprentice is a very good idea, True the wage is rubbish for a while but you come out of it with a trade qualification.
In retail you lean how to stock shelves and use an eftpos machine.

Sorry if it offended anyone in retail.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:13 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgy back View Post
I'm sort of with Bobby Bass here. Forget working in retail. Far better jobs out there than that.
Being an Apprentice is a very good idea, True the wage is rubbish for a while but you come out of it with a trade qualification.
In retail you lean how to stock shelves and use an eftpos machine.

Sorry if it offended anyone in retail.
Its not as easy as you think to use an eftpos machine
Old 10-08-2011, 04:42 AM
Big Bream

stormrep - follow what you want to do! too often in life we come across people working in a job they do not like - be it retail or not, they are the ones that are the "remembered" people. you will always excel at a job you enjoy rather than one that is just $.

good staff do get noticed and success follows! once you are in an industry, you will learn how & who to contact to pursue your goal.

Good luck
Old 10-08-2011, 04:56 AM
Big Bream

As the Natonial Sales Manager for a large Importer / Distibutor,I recommend just picking up the phone and contact retailers /suppliers and ask if any positions are available.You never know the responses you may get or the amount of people who may take your details for if something does become avaliable.I did this 20 years ago and have made my way into the position im in today.

It is a fantastic industry and if you are doing what you enjoy more the better.You will find the money can be better in other industries and the importer/distibutor side of the buisness there is generally more room to advance in the industry.I started as a storeman to Warehouse Manager to Sales Rep then to my current position.
As you move up in an organisations rumeration can grow dramatically,company cars,expense accounts,cheaper fishing gear.........ect can all be a part of the job.

It is a great job and it is great to be involved in developing products,testing, and then to see anglers have success and the smiles of happiness they have, on what you have help develop.

Follow your dreams!

Associated with :
TiCA
Strike Pro
Strike Pro Enticers
Juro Firebaits
Daiichi Hooks
Sax Scent
http://www.jurofishing.com

Last edited by Pygmy II; 10-08-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:11 AM
Poddy Bream

Rick, thats some great advice for the young fellas, theres no shortcuts, no matter what the industry,everything you've have said is spot on.

Thumbsup Rick..

www.slhobie.com.au
Old 10-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madfishman View Post
Rick, thats some great advice for the young fellas, theres no shortcuts, no matter what the industry,everything you've have said is spot on.

Thumbsup Rick..
Thanks Neil,

just giving advice from someone who has done his apprenticeship in the tackle industry.

Associated with :
TiCA
Strike Pro
Strike Pro Enticers
Juro Firebaits
Daiichi Hooks
Sax Scent
http://www.jurofishing.com
Old 12-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormrep View Post
Heyy guys im looking for a traineship or schoolbased apprenticeship on the sunshinecoast ina tackle store or the fishing industrie any info would be greatly appreciated?
hey my names luke im 15 i was woundering if you still have it open for a school based apprenticeship?