Go Back   Bream Master Forums > National SportFishing Scene > General Tournament Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 05:28 AM
Big Bream

Ok,

So you are saying it happened the current G.F. If thats the case, add some detail and post it on fishing monthly.

If it has happened it is dissapointing, I'm not nieve enough to think that it does not go on. But I still think it is unfair to make the comments without detail. I'd actually say to do such a thing is a spineless act.

There are only two blokes who have given detail and you are calling at least one of them a liar. Or if you are talking about other sponsored anglers then at least give us some clarity.

Cheers
Old 12-11-2010, 05:30 AM
FastBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aust Angling View Post
It never seems to amaze me how Anglers just blatantly lie to protect there sponsorship deals.
This is why as a importer I refuse to sponsor any of these tournaments and have been very reluctant to sponsor any anglers.
I read these tournaments reviews written on the ABT BREAM website to utter disgust on how you anglers continue such practices.
This is also relevant to latest report for the grand final you anglers know who you are, as it all comes out later when I get told of who actually was using what.
How the tournaments committee can also allow such practices to continue shows how unprofessional it all really is.
You have raised a very interesting topic here.do you sponsor any anglers?if so how do you know there not lieing to you as to what they used in comps and what they got there fish on...............
Old 12-11-2010, 06:30 AM
Your Friendly Moderator

You cannot lump ALL anglers into the dubious ethical practises of a few.

Name and shame, back it up with some facts, or retract the statement.

I personally rate the Camion as one of the best Bream lures ever made, and have mentioned it quite often on stage at tournaments. On occasions all I had to do was say that I was using an Atomic or Bassday instead and would've scored a prize.

Does this benefit me at all? Not in the slightest, except for the pleasure in knowing I'm not doing the wrong thing.

I've never had the Australian importer/distributor of Smith lures thank me for the product mention on stage - a couple of Smith sponsored anglers have commented though. Is this a bad thing? I don't fish for 'thanks' but I could quite easily have said 'cranking hardbody' and no-one would have cared, and I would not be promoting a product that means sales for the importer/distributor but does nothing for me.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) I call a spade a spade and say it like it is irrelevent of outcome.

Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!

Team BreamMaster Member
Old 12-11-2010, 06:59 AM
Blue Lip

Steve (aust angling),

Personally when I do well in a tournament I'm happy to state what I used.... I'm sponsored by berkley. If I win using a product not in the berkley stable so be it. They have the plastic market tied up (in my opinion) so it will only ever be hard bodies from another company.

I have seen guys that catch fish on their sponsors product and not actually state that too... It's their call at the end of the day.

Not sponsoring anglers and events isn't going to change the outcome in my opinion. Smiths have some nice lures... I know spiro did well down in Tas last year on the panish!

Pat Sullivan
Old 12-11-2010, 07:03 AM
Big Bream

Location: Soon to be in an old aged home with Mark M, president of the Coffin Dodgers
It happens and will continue to happen, because its called advertising and its been around forever.
What are you calling lieing, if I had a dollar for everytime I have heard anglers say "yeah I fished this section of a river and thats where we pulled our fish" and I know for a fact they didnt, its just another fib. Its competition and people will continue to do it, there are a number of anglers out there that have caught their bag on Gulp but are to embaressed to say so due to the age old debate that is classed as bait to some people.
Get over it move on
Old 12-11-2010, 07:13 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by scope View Post
certain players put branded stickers on their bats, when in fact they're using a different bat altogether. .......
Yeah, it's like replacing the Holden badge with the Chevy's...

Monster Miki Addict
Old 12-11-2010, 07:33 AM
Blue Lip

An AFC angler told me personally what some of the top guys use , all i will say is if would be interesting if everybody uses what they say they are,the leader board might be a bit different tho if they did

I just don't take it to seriously,, a lot of fairy tales are told but the non boaters know the truth and everybody finds out sooner or later,,
Old 12-11-2010, 08:16 AM
Blue Lip

Well I think Aust angling comments are rather out of line, true but out of line.
I know one of his sponsored anglers was using another product, big woop.
If anglers started saying they used mr twister plastics when episodes by gulp. I'm sure they would not be sponsored for long. Most of us know that all sposored anglers will use another product during a comp. We are there to catch fish after all, if they used ONLY their sponsored product they may not win many comps, Towner was throwing zipbaits around i'n tas a few years back but he is a gulp man, non of this is new.

I think your rant has no validation, although uou have a point youv gone about it wrong therefore youv made your self look like a tool. Perhaps you should be ashamed of your self for not supporting the people who support you?
Old 12-11-2010, 09:37 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Walter View Post
Well I think Aust angling comments are rather out of line, true but out of line.
I know one of his sponsored anglers was using another product, big woop.
If anglers started saying they used mr twister plastics when episodes by gulp. I'm sure they would not be sponsored for long. Most of us know that all sposored anglers will use another product during a comp. We are there to catch fish after all, if they used ONLY their sponsored product they may not win many comps, Towner was throwing zipbaits around i'n tas a few years back but he is a gulp man, non of this is new.

I think your rant has no validation, although uou have a point youv gone about it wrong therefore youv made your self look like a tool. Perhaps you should be ashamed of your self for not supporting the people who support you?
I was hoping it was a knee jerk reaction, spurred on by the Dutch

If not - Its a lose/lose PR blunder with awkward ramifications.

No winners - only degrees of losing

P.s. (I love lying - unless I'm the one being lied to - then I get quite righteous about it)
Old 12-11-2010, 09:46 AM
Blue Lip

Yeah sorry not trying to be a scumb bag or anything, but, I still think the initial post, from a site sponsor, was uncalled for.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:33 AM

Oh my god are you saying that Ricky Ponting may not actually take the Swiss multivitamins he promotes, and the reason the Soccers Roos got into the last world cup wasn't because they ate Weetbix, and are you trying to tell me that Patrick Rafter may not actually wear bonds underwear and that all those elite motorcross riders don't actually drink monster energy drink all day. My world is shattered, I have lost all faith in humanity At least I know that Delta Goodrim really does love So Good.... doesn't she.... maybe not.... I'm so confused now

Come on mate you need to take a chill pill. People in every sport spin DohDohDohDoh to promote their sponsors brands. Getting on the podium isn't an opportunity to tell everyone you won because you didn't use your sponsors products its an opportunity to give back some exposure for the money or product your sponsors give you.

Maybe you should have a crack at sponsoring some quality anglers that can get up on stage and give your products a serious plug and you may change your opinion on the matter.

Saying that the tournament committee can't let it go on is hilarious. Would you like all the guys to be hooked upto a polygraph as they weigh in and speak to the crowd. You can't reprimand people for plugging their sponsors
as its the sponsors that keep the tournaments viable. Lets face it most of the products out there that guys are sponsored by do work so if someone hears a angler say they caught their fish on tt vibes when they actually Eco-Gear VX's and that person goes out and buys the TT instead of the VX they will still work. Thanks for the post I'm still laughing
Old 12-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Hyper Tackle

Just in a response to a member who said it happened to him with a Zipbaits sponsored angler if your going to make allegations against them then name them if you've got the balls!!! you named the product for some reason and not the person you accused of lying!!!!

I have never directed any of the guys we sponsor to lie but don't want them getting up and blurting out that they used the competitors brands if they do win using a competitors brand I have asked for a general statement ie I was using Hardbodies etc, I don't give out product at my expense for someone to get on the podium and sell lures for companies I compete with.

Mark

Last edited by Hyper Tackle; 12-11-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Mature Bream

To be honest I think it is only a very small minority of very insecure anglers that would get up on stage and blatently lie. Most anglers will just say their fish were caught on hard bodies, blades, soft plastics, without mentioning brand names, if they were caught on a competitors lure and I certainly see nothing wrong with that.

Years ago I was lucky enough to be sponsored by very well known lure brand, when they first arrived here, but at that time they only imported soft plastics, it was prior to their hard body/ blade range being available. Although they make great soft plastics, I still needed to use other brands, but as the sponsor only wished me to use his brand, I eventually had to politely hand back the sponsorship deal. I could have lied about what I used, but reputation means a lot more to me than a few free lures, as it does to most other anglers.

Word quickly gets around the tournament scene about most topics and it would actually cause a sponsor more embarassment if one of their anglers got caught out lying, then saying he caught his fish on another lure.

It obviously happens now and again and if I was their sponsor, I would seriously consider dumping them. Really, what company wants to be associated with some one who lies in a public arena.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Blue Lip

Fisherman will always tell lies.. Marketing will always be in place in fishing tournaments.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary" Patrick McManus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hscn12l.jpg (28.4 KB, 367 views)

Last edited by crabcrusher; 12-11-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Hyper Tackle

Another point is that anglers can be bound by contract to do this and expected by certain companies as part of the deal.

Oh well I wonder which lures did fish well in the GF this year sounds like the ones mentioned in the write up is a load of BS

Mark
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: